Post Safari Depression

What’d you do to cut corners to save? With kids, mortgage, higher grocery costs, life in general seems to be so expensive and living on one income isn’t easy!
It certainly isn't easy..... you've got that right! Our cost of living has gone up considerably, and my income hasn't!
When your mortgage comes due, shop around! Change your payments, your frequency, etc. It's also a good time to consolidate other loans and debts. If your term is a long ways off, you could still look into a consolation loan.
Look into your home and auto insurance. By shopping around and/or changing your policies you will be able to save.
Groceries- Flyer shop. Plan your meals around what's on sale, rather than planning your meals and then going shopping. Just about everything I buy is on sale! Remember that prepared and convenience foods usually cost more. (But not always) When you are buying something, compare prices per kilo (or lb.) I always do that. Know a good deal when you see it. (Chicken breast @x/kg vs ...) I downloaded the app flipp, and it's awesome! I highly recommend it! I also eat a lot of game meat and have more "basic" meals, without frills or extras.
Cut corners with your everyday luxuries such as your Tim Hortons.
Reduce all non essential driving. Fuel prices are ridiculous!
I reduce the "beer budget". Maybe even completely for a while if neccessary.
If you ask/expect the same from everyone you WILL notice a difference! Unfortunately, it may be in the form of a mutiny! (If your wife and kids start hating you, then you are budgeting well! LMAO)
This is also a great opportunity to teach your kids the value of a dollar. Offer some sort of incentive plan so that they are saving for something too.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Cam

It certainly isn't easy..... you've got that right! Our cost of living has gone up considerably, and my income hasn't!
When your mortgage comes due, shop around! Change your payments, your frequency, etc. It's also a good time to consolidate other loans and debts. If your term is a long ways off, you could still look into a consolation loan.
Look into your home and auto insurance. By shopping around and/or changing your policies you will be able to save.
Groceries- Flyer shop. Plan your meals around what's on sale, rather than planning your meals and then going shopping. Just about everything I buy is on sale! Remember that prepared and convenience foods usually cost more. (But not always) When you are buying something, compare prices per kilo (or lb.) I always do that. Know a good deal when you see it. (Chicken breast @x/kg vs ...) I downloaded the app flipp, and it's awesome! I highly recommend it! I also eat a lot of game meat and have more "basic" meals, without frills or extras.
If you ask/expect the same from everyone you WILL notice a difference! Unfortunately, it may be in the form of a mutiny! (If your wife and kids start hating you, then you are budgeting well! LMAO)
This is also a great opportunity to teach your kids the value of a dollar. Offer some sort of incentive plan so that they are saving for something too.
Cam
Thanks for the advice. Tell me how long did your mutiny last? Are you still happily married?

We all sympathize. I agree with the shooting, watching videos, and I’d add going through my safari clothes and gear from time to time. I like to research travel for these kind of trips as well. I enjoy the travel reports at times as much as the hunt reports. Ive been so many times by myself so that may be the reason I relish the travel experience so much. Now I am mostly going with groups Ive organized so that has been fun as well but a vastly different travel experience.
Like many of you I am focused on the next safari. I am fortunate to get to go to the EC and Zim again next year. Planning for next year keeps my safari depression in check.
Regards,
Philip

Cam
My rancher buddies will clout me for saying this, but we eat tons of venison. We love it and it’s cheaper than most anything. :giggle:

Join your local SCI group and attend the monthly meetings. Go to at least one outdoor show per year that features Afircan Outfitters. Take up bushcraft / survival skills as a hobby. Start planning your next safari no matter how far off it seams.

My rancher buddies will clout me for saying this, but we eat tons of venison. We love it and it’s cheaper than most anything. :giggle:
You are absolutely right.....especially if you eat deer "prairie oysters".
They're under a buck!!! :E Lol:

The struggle is very real! I’m back 3 weeks now. I’ve read and re-read my journal a dozen times. NO ONE wants to hear about Africa as much as I want to talk about Africa. And it seems to get worse with every trip over.

Ok, I've always heard the bit about once you get the dust of Africa on your boots you'll have to go back. But I never heard of the depression you may experience after returning. After getting back on a Sunday I made myself go golfing on Wednesday, yes made myself and I'm a golf nut. But on the 5th green I actually said aloud to myself, "I should just quit, this is boring". I found a little relief in taking my 375 out and shooting what, with this current ammo shortage, are some precious rounds but that return to joy left soon after the rifle was cleaned and put back in the safe. My wife even begged me to get out of the house and do something to which my reply was "all I want to do is go back to Africa". She said, "I know you're just miserable" but at least she didn't say it with a chuckle because she has a touch of it too I suspect.
Now I know where Hemingway's statement about how he never had a morning in Africa where he didn't wake up happy probably came from. He had the same malady upon his return from Africa.
Some tips in dealing with this illness that I've found helpful. Make sure you have some "Africa" ammo saved back and shoot. Spend time watching safari videos on youtube. Look up what's happening on AH. Get a book on African trophies and study it. Reread some of your favorite books on Africa. Listen repeatedly to the bird calls from Africa you recorded with you phone and maybe even make one a ringtone and naturally change your screen savers to safari pics on all devices. Go set up some deer blinds or stands and brush them in. Seek out anyone who is interested, semi-interested, or just polite enough not to walk away and tell them all about your trip. Go into particular detail with stories of stalks,...etc. Don't let their apparent boredom put you off even if they're hearing about it for the 3rd or 4th time. They'll get over it eventually and will quit acting like they didn't see you at the store. Realize that many won't have any sympathy for your plight, even fellow hunters, but those who have been there will. Spend time reevaluating what furniture, pictures, and whatnot are really needed in the living room since this or that animal would look better there.
Lastly, don't blame the safari outfitter you went with, @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS . Remember, you initiated it all, take responsibility for your actions. Most importantly, start thinking about your next trip and what you want to pursue.
I hope to help others with this post and maybe prevent or ease their suffering. But, I won't suggest you not go to Africa, not me, and if you do and find yourself in this predicament just message me, I'll listen, because I understand.
I feel your pain. Returned from a 21 day trip to SA this past June. 10 days hunting and 10 days being a tourist. Took 10 trophies and explored the country.
REMEDY: I have already booked a Buffalo hunt in July of 2022. Let the dreaming begin again.

I have "Pre" Safari depression. I've never been and those of you that have fuel my depression. Keep it up! Ha! Ha!
"The only man I envy is the one who has not yet been to Africa, for he has so much to look forward to."- Richard Mullin

Of course, once you have been on your first trip you could easily alter this quote to "... who has not yet hunted Cape Buffalo - seen Tanzania - followed Lord Derby Eland tracks - ...... and so on and so on!

I've been back for about two weeks, I'm definitely feeling it lol. It sure does make my shitty day job even shittier when I remember being in Africa. And everyone just acts like normal, I've got a head full of crazy shit I saw and did. Planning the next trip is the only cure, I'm not into taking medication.

I've been back for about two weeks, I'm definitely feeling it lol. It sure does make my shitty day job even shittier when I remember being in Africa. And everyone just acts like normal, I've got a head full of crazy shit I saw and did. Planning the next trip is the only cure, I'm not into taking medication.
Ah, just go on Gunjoker and buy something and all that crazy shit in your head will go away. Maybe a little Bundy might help along the way? LOL

Just got back from my 1st trip to Africa…2 weeks in Zim. 2 ancient buffalo, big sable, spotted hyena, various plains game…I’m ready to write my deposit for the next adventure.

Ah, just go on Gunjoker and buy something and all that crazy shit in your head will go away. Maybe a little Bundy might help along the way? LOL
Oh no I'm done blowing money on stupid shit lol I have another safari to save for hahaha

AH also keeps me sane. All but one of my local hunting group are pretty benign, slow to react to posts or express any excitement, like dragging logs! Talking, sharing an upcomming hunt is very rewarding and keeps the morbs away.

The only two medications for safari blues, is reading up and planning the next safari or taking your safari rifles out for a day of shooting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!