Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Gents,

Not sure how many of you have seen this t.v. show, but I'm sure some have. I've been watching it the last couple of years. My wife and I have made this a regular thing on Sunday evening to watch the Kilcher family and their chosen homestead lifestyle somewhere up in Alaska.

I have no delusions that homesteading in the 2000's is far less difficult than homesteading in say the early 1900's or previous to that. But nonetheless I'm sure it's not entirely easy. And I have developed a bit of respect and admiration for the Kilcher family and how they've chosen to live their lives.

I can only imagine the encounters with wildlife they endure, the challenges of the long winters and whatever else they're challenged with. But with one statement by Otto Kilcher, that all went into the crapper this evening.

Donna and I sat down to watch an episode that apparently was going to be about moving a herd of buffalo that a Native American tribe owned into a safer area or something like that. I don't know really as I had to immediately turn it off when Otto made a statement to the effect of "poachers and trophy hunters would hunt the buffalo to extinction."

I was pissed and looked up the show's FB site and sent a post to it expressing my feelings. Apparently the post must be approved, which likely it won't. Whatever the case, I would encourage my AH brethren to boycott the show.

Okay, rant over.

Never heard of or seen the show.

I tried to watch that show once but, it proved too melodramatic / corny for me.
So, I went back to channel surfing, as is my usual TV activity.
(I hold "Deadliest Catch" and "Ice Road Truckers" in that same regard).

Last edited:
I must of missed that part but I often wonder just how much of the show is scripted and not their own words.

I was thinking tonight watching it that I should of got onto their question and answer part and ask Jane why she stays on the homestead? It seams that all she does is complain about one thing or another, not to mention when she does something that she knows is going to happen and she acts like it is a surprise such as shooting a rifle.

Yeah they’re homesteaders living off the land and they have a carr’s supermarket 12 miles down the road.

Technically they are homesteaders but the land was homesteaded by their dad back in the 30's I believe and they are just living the lifestyle.

Have seen the show,but can't understand the comment on trophy hunting.
Saw one episode when Ottos brother and his wife were hunting blackbears.
They drove around on a ATV on the beach and shot at bears up in the mountains
cant remember how many they shot at but it was a bunch. They hit one but couldn't find it
so at least one got wounded ,maybe more.
Have also seen some of them shoot at deer of hand at 3-400yards.
Of cause they didn't get them either!
Looks to me as anti hunter propaganda!
I understand that some people likes to prohibit hunting if they think that all hunting goes on like that!

As an Alaskan I can say all Alaskan "Reality" shows are mostly viewed by Alaskans as poorly produced comedies, definitely not real. We have a regular piece in the newspaper concerning them and how this show or that is totally wrong. So it doesn't surprise me at all that the Kilchers go off the deep end the wrong way.

Last edited:
Just for the record: IMHO, "reality" TV isn't........(reality). All those silly shows have turned me off to TV: storage wars, Pawn stars, deadliest catch, etc., etc.........I'd rather watch old WWII footage or reruns of "wild kingdom". All those shows....and I mean ALL.....have has some kind of scandal where the "reality" was found to be scripted, or items moved or edited, etc. I now waste my time reloading, doing traditional muzzleloading crafts, artwork, reading a good book, etc. The only time I watch TV anymore is if A.) the' walking dead' is on b.) a John Wayne film is on , or C.) Jeremiah Johnson is on.

The Kilchers or the Browns it makes no difference to me they are all TV idiots. Every show is about a dire need to get some project completed before it freezes. Oh they have to go fishing and fill the freezer. Got to go kill a moose or we are going to starve. If we don't bring in the hay all the cattle are going starve this winter. Got to move the hunters cabin because.....well I don't remember why!
I find it interesting that a "homestead " has so many tractors, bulldozers, excavators, ATVs and even a landing craft.
Somebody mentioned Jane......what a dumb b@&#h. Everything she does is a mess up.
Scripted......YEP! Stupid.......YEP! Fake.......YEP!

Me, I prefer to read posts on africahunting.com, make my lists/plans for my next trip and play with my old GSP. Pretty simple life.

Me, I prefer to read posts on africahunting.com, make my lists/plans for my next trip and play with my old GSP. Pretty simple life.
but-maybe-thats-just-me.jpg

I've got one word for these scripted, set up, fake shows, LAME.

................Every show is about a dire need to get some project completed before it freezes. ........!

So true. The little I have seen bares this out.

My sister worked in TV for a few years. She told me "boring" in TV is the equivalent of death. No drama, no sponsor, no money. If all you watched was what they do 99% of the time, the cooking, cleaning, clothes washing, harvesting crops, gardening, taking a dump, yada yada, the show wouldn't last one episode.

My sister worked in TV for a few years. She told me "boring" in TV is the equivalent of death. No drama, no sponsor, no money. If all you watched was what they do 99% of the time, the cooking, cleaning, clothes washing, harvesting crops, gardening, taking a dump, yada yada, the show wouldn't last one episode.

Just like news broadcasts. If there is nothing exciting, just make it up.

Just like news broadcasts. If there is nothing exciting, just make it up.
Yeah, BREAKING NEWS!!! Jimmy Crack Corn hit dangerous gravel on a dirt road, fell of his bike and broke his arm!!!!

Whatcha watching now Phil?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg