One rifle or two - That is the question!

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm heading back to Africa on Sunday with the following animals on the menu. Cape Buffalo, Eland, Lioness, and some assorted plains game. I currently have my 375 H&H and my 416 Rem Mag on license to take on the trip. Since I'll be hunting most, if not all of these animals on the same property, whatever rifle I have in hand, at the time, will be what I use on any given animal I come across.
I will most likely hunt with my 375 for the most part, unless I take a lioness and some plains game before I take a buffalo. If I get to the point where I'm only hunting buffalo, I'll probably take the 416.
That said, I'm thinking of only taking my 375, just to keep it simple. I know it will do everything I need done.
Am I crazy for only taking one rifle?

Not crazy at all, 375 will handle everything just fine. Best of luck on the hunt and will be looking forward to updates/pics!

You’re not crazy, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a backup. I know I would.

No you're not crazy, just the .375 will be fine..

Take two... they’re small.
If just taking one, I’d consider just taking the .416, but there is nothing that can’t be done with a .375.

3 7 5

I hate carrying two rifles (been there, done that more than once). Moreover, I frankly think the .375 a far superior one-rifle battery to anything else when Buff is on the dance card (and it is perfect for a big cat - bit overkill on leopard). With a modern 300 gr bullet like an A-Frame or TSX family it will cleanly take any buffalo on the continent.

375 with 2 Barnes bullets. 235g TSX for pg and 350g TSX for dg.

Too funny Toby!!!
Actually can you drop one of the rifles if it is already on your approved paperwork?
I assume you listed 40 rounds of each as well on the paperwork?
You may need to talk to Henry to make sure it’s not a problem. JMO

I'm heading back to Africa on Sunday with the following animals on the menu. Cape Buffalo, Eland, Lioness, and some assorted plains game. I currently have my 375 H&H and my 416 Rem Mag on license to take on the trip. Since I'll be hunting most, if not all of these animals on the same property, whatever rifle I have in hand, at the time, will be what I use on any given animal I come across.
I will most likely hunt with my 375 for the most part, unless I take a lioness and some plains game before I take a buffalo. If I get to the point where I'm only hunting buffalo, I'll probably take the 416.
That said, I'm thinking of only taking my 375, just to keep it simple. I know it will do everything I need done.

Why not take the 416 train keep it simple!

Beware of the man who owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

I own several guns, but I feel I can make a rifle or shotgun an extension of my body, but never two at the same time JMO. I have never hunted Africa but when I finally do, I will take only one rifle, my 375, and know it like the back of my hand. I will hunt everything that’s legal from coyotes to groundhogs with it the previous year of my hunt. For me it’s all about confidence and I gain it through use.

PS that sounds like a very exciting hunt. Best of luck!

You should take three @TOBY458..... you know, because you can

Too funny Toby!!!
Actually can you drop one of the rifles if it is already on your approved paperwork?
I assume you listed 40 rounds of each as well on the paperwork?
You may need to talk to Henry to make sure it’s not a problem. JMO
I checked with them, and they said it's not a problem if I decide to only take one rifle.

Not crazy at all..

I originally planned on taking my 416 specifically for buffalo.. and my 375 for everything else..

I ended up using my PH's .375 instead (long story).. and both of my rifles got left at home..

My thoughts were I'd really like to have the extra "oomph!" of the 416 when taking on the buffalo..

But... in my very limited experience (I now have a total of 1 buff under my belt).. the 416 would have been totally unnecessary...

1x ..375 300gr A-Frame was all that was needed...

If I ever decide to do another buff.. All I will be taking with me is my .375 H&H... I think the 416 would just be extra baggage.. and I'd likely never take it out of the case..

If for some reason I needed a back up.. I'd be comfortable borrowing/leasing from my PH..

That's not the reason you're crazy Toby - It's the amount of large caliber rifles you've bought and sold the past year!! :ROFLMAO:

I took only a 404 J on my recent trip - worked like a champ.

375 with 2 Barnes bullets. 235g TSX for pg and 350g TSX for dg.
I have 270gr TSX and 300gr TSX loaded up. The 270gr is an inch or so high at 100yds, and the 300gr is an inch or so low at 100yds, so either one will be plenty close for whatever shows up. Honestly, from what I've read, the 270gr will work fine for everything. I just like the idea of a 300gr or larger bullet for buffalo.

How far are you planning to shoot? On four most recent hunts I took four buffalo and a lot (a real lot) of PG ranging from Suni to Cape and Livingstone eland with either the 30o gr TSX or A-Frame. Closest was 50 feet and longest nearly 300 yards. Never had to think about which bullet is in the chamber. I do use solids on the really little guys, but 30o gr Hydro’s shoot into the same group as A-Frames.

Simple is good. Really good. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg