One rifle or two - That is the question!

Simple is good. Really good. ;)
375 and 300 grain bullets.
The less you have to think about while hunting the better.

Enjoy your trip!

I take two guns in case Murphy shows up.

If you're going to take only one, make it the 375. The 375 will do everything you want including buffalo while the 416 would be a bit much for the plains game. I'm willing to bet that you're more accurate with the 375 than the 416. I'm going in October and taking two; my 270WSM and my 338. The 338 is for Eland and the 270WSM for all the other plains game. I just found that I'm more accurate with the 270WSM than the 338.

Shoot Toby! Just take them both and if I get done first, I’ll haul your 416 around for you in case your buff shows up, but I might have to pull the trigger on him for your protection of course:ROFLMAO::LOL::D! Aren’t I helpful?

Toby, in a word yes. One of them can be accidentally dropped or otherwise develop a malfunction. Either one can be used for the species you intend to hunt. Just think of the second gun as insurance. I do not particularly relish the thought of having to use a "camp" gun should the need arise. You know your guns, borrowed ones not so much. BTW I'm thinking that you and Ridgewalker are going to have one heck of a hunt. Can't wait to read your reports and see the photos.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles

Arms.......plural.........more than one..........that is the answer........(y)

Toby, in a word yes. One of them can be accidentally dropped or otherwise develop a malfunction. Either one can be used for the species you intend to hunt. Just think of the second gun as insurance. I do not particularly relish the thought of having to use a "camp" gun should the need arise. You know your guns, borrowed ones not so much. BTW I'm thinking that you and Ridgewalker are going to have one heck of a hunt. Can't wait to read your reports and see the photos.
I agree Art. I'll probably end up bringing both rifles. I've seen some of those back up rifles in camp! Haha!

Toby, Johan is trying to talk me into another Cape buffalo(n)! I could go broke really quickly this year! I think you’re a bad example for me!:LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

I'm heading back to Africa on Sunday with the following animals on the menu. Cape Buffalo, Eland, Lioness, and some assorted plains game. I currently have my 375 H&H and my 416 Rem Mag on license to take on the trip. Since I'll be hunting most, if not all of these animals on the same property, whatever rifle I have in hand, at the time, will be what I use on any given animal I come across.
I will most likely hunt with my 375 for the most part, unless I take a lioness and some plains game before I take a buffalo. If I get to the point where I'm only hunting buffalo, I'll probably take the 416.
That said, I'm thinking of only taking my 375, just to keep it simple. I know it will do everything I need done.
Am I crazy for only taking one rifle?
I would go ahead with both as the buff would be better with .416. I know you will do well!
Philip

I figured it out @TOBY458 sell me the 375, and take the 416. Then when you get back you can sell me the 416!

Problem solved!! (y)

Toby take both rifles, when Delta losses both of them you'll have a reason to get two new ones.

I'd take both just to be on the safe side.

3580397C-C538-446C-8E45-89DADC168AD1.jpeg
Me an my pap were plains game hunting RSA. He dropped his 338 getting down a platform over a waterhole. Snapped at the wrist(Dam plastic). Stopped at local farm shop for patch up...he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn standing inside the next 3 days. Also, I love handling any gun with a story. Take em both and use them both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg