Not A Warm Welcome!!

Welcome to the site.

actually we have had a few woundings from bow hunters over the years ( on us, hundreds on game) I was stabbed in the back of the leg & many close calls & my guiding partner was stabbed badly in the back by a archery hunter, this on Water Buffalo .
That's amazing that a guide got stabbed by an arrow. :E Confused:

Yes Sir, I was & my buddy to !

On the final stalk, client had arrow nocked, slipped & stuck me in the leg .

my buddy got a worse wound in the back, same sort of thing I think or he stopped fast & got stuck, those German Kentics are bloody sharp !

My father had the same thing happen to him 30 years ago while hunting. It went deep into his thigh. You need to careful and point the arrow off to the side.

I'm thinking of posting our hunt on here. I just need to get everything together.

Do you guys like a detailed hunt or just pictures?

My father had the same thing happen to him 30 years ago while hunting. It went deep into his thigh. You need to careful and point the arrow off to the side.

I'm thinking of posting our hunt on here. I just need to get everything together.

The more detail the better! :)

welcome from a fellow bowhunter..........

Some information on the hunt is always great, pictures are good for those of us with difficulty reading and comprehending the English language.

The buffalo in your avatar photo seems to be a pretty good one. Congratulations.

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?

If the conversation is as you described, allow me to apologize on behalf of the member.

Bowhunting dangerous game can be both ethical and exciting. It can also attract some really arrogant, stupid bowhunters into the fray that gives the sport a bad name and exemplifies the worst aspects of trophy hunters.

As a bowhunter myself, I encourage you to do it if you're prepared and it pleases you. I'd be remiss if I didn't list the all-too-common a-hole things dangerous game bowhunters have done so you can avoid the unethical perils of that sport.

1.) Shooting a cow elephant with a bow is about the stupidest, most dangerous thing you can do. The other cows know what is going on so it can lead to a shootout with the PH and a pile of dead elephants from a blunder. Saving that fate, it just makes cows more dangerous for the next villager that walks by. Just my opinion.

2.) Record book entry obsession is the gateway to becoming a terrible human. Time and time again we hear stories around the campfire of bowhunters that shot dangerous game with the bow and REFUSED to allow the PH to dispatch the wounded animal because if a gun killed it, then it can't be entered into the record book. Further, bowhunters making bad shots then sulk at camp and become client nightmares as they stomp around refusing to pay for the trophy they wounded which typically causes a tremendous loss for the PH that must pay the bill...a bill that is probably 1/3rd to 1/2 his annual net income. Save nothing for the fact that wounded dangerous game not followed up for the entirety of the remaining hunt is an animal that will kill a villager making the arrogant and irresponsible bowhunter a participant in voluntary manslaughter that will never be prosecuted.

But if you are able to hold your ego in check and your ethics are unwavering at all times, I say have an awesome trip and I hope you kill a great dangerous game trophy responsibly with your bow!

Not a bowhunter myself, and would not recommend anyone to shoot DG with a bow.

I have heard stories around camp about DG bowhunts becoming nightmares, but ... rifle shooters can also be sloppy, I have seen it personally.

So, if you are competent with your bow, just do it, and enjoy :D Cheers:

Hunt any way you would like. Let the PH tell you if he’s uncomfortable with you bow hunting DG. I’m not a fan of bow hunting but if you want to hunt it with a spear & a PH will back you up… do it.

Yes to both, lots of details and lots of pictures too. :)

I’m sorry you had that experience here on AH. So many on this site are so helpful and supportive. That said, welcome to AH and I hope going forward you have an enjoyable experience here.

Life is short hunt where and how you want! I have a friend headed over in November to hunt elephant with his longbow. All things are possible when brave enough

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?
@Huntforever
Mate I applaud you choice to hunt buffalo with a string powered stick chucker. Many a game animal has been taken with a bow even buffalo. My PH has hunted huge Eland with one. It was bigger than any cape buffalo he has taken, weight wise that is. He never had a problem.
The end result is it is YOUR hunt and as long as no one is hurt and the animal is taken cleanly who are we to say tou choice is stupid or not. Use your bow and have a great hunt. I'm sure there's more than one story on AH obout hunting buffalo with a bow.
Bob

I'm not a bow hunter, there, that's my disclaimer!
The first thing I thought of when this posting first went up was would a person bow hunt DG without ANY backup? No PH, no one, just the hunter and the animal or animals. Lion, rhino, even leopard, miles from camp, with no backup.
That's where my mind went.

The first thing I thought of when this posting first went up was would a person bow hunt DG without ANY backup? No PH, no one, just the hunter and the animal or animals. Lion, rhino, even leopard, miles from camp, with no backup.

Nope. That would be a crime. Further, its a crime to allow an animal to suffer and its a crime to fail to make every possible attempt to recover wounded game. <- These are the things some bow hunters forget that cause tremendous ill-will with PHs in Africa.

Nope. That would be a crime. Further, its a crime to allow an animal to suffer and its a crime to fail to make every possible attempt to recover wounded game. <- These are the things some bow hunters forget that cause tremendous ill-will with PHs in Africa.
Legal issues aside, how many people would hunt buffalo without backup even with a rifle? Plenty of chest thumpers, but at the end of the day it can be a dangerous undertaking. Bow would be even harder.

I hope the original poster continues as a member and puts up a hunt report for the buffalo in his avatar.

I hope, I don't get blasted for this but I would 100% go solo for DG if it was legal. I would go for months at a time. I will say only after going with other hunters to gain the experience needed. Honestly, I love hunting alone for many reason and it's hard to put into words. It's mostly the feeling of being alone with nature, alone in one's thoughts and the feeling your at the mercy of mother nature and the animals. The peace that one gets laying under a tree with the wind blowing through the leaves. Pondering, how speical and simple life truly is. Life has gotten its self in one big damn hurry.

I hope, I don't get blasted for this but I would 100% go solo for DG if it was legal. I would go for months at a time. I will say only after going with other hunters to gain the experience needed. Honestly, I love hunting alone for many reason and it's hard to put into words. It's mostly the feeling of being alone with nature, alone in one's thoughts and the feeling your at the mercy of mother nature and the animals. The peace that one gets laying under a tree with the wind blowing through the leaves. Pondering, how speical and simple life truly is. Life has gotten its self in one big damn hurry.
I understand that! Next week I'm leaving for a solo bear hunt in northern Manitoba, Canada.
Some people have the opinion that black bear are dangerous. So when I put it all in perspective, I realized what you said is in most of us....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross