Not A Warm Welcome!!

I thought @freefall was Canadian but while I do agree we bring our notions and biases, this is a website for hunting Africa. It is in the web address, so there can't be much misunderstanding there.

Ironically, one of the few people whose name in the record books is just a number is the aforementioned dentist. As for entry being free, there is a cost to set up the record books, do all the paperwork and such, etc. I think that cost does need to be covered. The excess funds then get directed into what? At that point, it is a 501c3 charity. The original Rowland Ward book was just a record of what his shop saw, not of all animals. Still, it is a tool and some people use it for its intended purpose and others use it for personal reasons that may not align with the original intent. That is how so much has evolved, much like our Internet which was started for ftp (file transfer). Even email was an afterthought, let alone the web.

Many people get grouped into one or the other even when it isn't appropriate. I have a goal to hunt every animal in Africa that I can legally hunt. Is that chasing a record book or a slam? Since it includes animals not on the lists, I would think not, but who cares? It is something I enjoy doing, much like hunting buffalo. Some outsider or even an insider who doesn't agree with my opinion is unlikely to change my mind. Certainly not with the compelling argument of "go shoot a cow".

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?
Good thing native Americans didn’t think that way as they would have starved.

Good thing native Americans didn’t think that way as they would have starved.
Besides bows they would spear them and their most productive method was to get a herd stampeding and guide them to a cliff. The animals behind the front tier never saw the cliff coming and the animals in front would stop but the herd would push them over.

The myth of the native american's "only took what they needed" was a real myth. They would kill as many as they possibly could. The thing was, their technology limited their kill.

To their credit, they would use every single bit of the animals. Hide, bones, tendons and of course every bite of edible protien.

This is highly unacceptable

Definitely takes hubris to send a pm like that. Not many lifetime bronze folks to choose from either :unsure:

It has been my experience that many hunters go afield for pheasant, ducks grouse coyote, you name it. Most of these animals are hunted during or after the archery season has started. So, naturally we find deer dead or wounded by arrows.

It’s reasonable that the guy who only hunts deer and only with a gun will find one of these deer hit by an arrow.

I would propose the vast majority of gun deer hunters and a majority of the other above mentioned hunters do not go hunting any more after the gun deer season. So, they/we never see the wounded and dead deer from a misplaced bullet.

the traditional gun deer season in Wisconsin is nine days long. It is only a slightly bigger deal here than Christmas. Believe me there are lots of deer poorly hit with rifle bullets.

I don’t condone poor shooting choices at live animals. I do think a lot of animals are left Unharvested and wounded after we hang up the gun for the season.

It has been my experience that many hunters go afield for pheasant, ducks grouse coyote, you name it. Most of these animals are hunted during or after the archery season has started. So, naturally we find deer dead or wounded by arrows.

It’s reasonable that the guy who only hunts deer and only with a gun will find one of these deer hit by an arrow.

I would propose the vast majority of gun deer hunters and a majority of the other above mentioned hunters do not go hunting any more after the gun deer season. So, they/we never see the wounded and dead deer from a misplaced bullet.

the traditional gun deer season in Wisconsin is nine days long. It is only a slightly bigger deal here than Christmas. Believe me there are lots of deer poorly hit with rifle bullets.

I don’t condone poor shooting choices at live animals. I do think a lot of animals are left Unharvested and wounded after we hang up the gun for the season.
Any observations I’ve made are from owning my land. I own my own land and my Dad owns his own also. We walk every day or two. There are years I will find 3 or 4 poorly hit/tracked archery deer I know were shot from same stand on neighbors property. I may find 3 or 4 lost deer from rifle season too but they will be spread out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois