Not A Warm Welcome!!

That's actually a great idea. Require any client hunting dangerous game to supply a resume of sorts. It would at least help the PH see the clients level of experience. Still, the biggest thing is practice and more practice so when the blood is pumping the shoot is more instinctive.
I am not a bowhunter and have never shot a bow but from the looks of some of the broadheads I've seen they look like they tear quite a hole. Bigger than a slug but without the trauma. Anyway dead is dead. A good first shot is critical, be it bow or rifle. Even with a heavy caliber rifle backup is a damn good thing to have when hunting dg.

My suggestion would be to make dg your second safari unless you have hunted dg in other parts of the world. African game is a lot different than anything else. They are tough, even the little pg, and have to be hunted differently. And they can and will hurt you. Bushbuck comes to mind.

Don't let others deter you. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and many have no knowledge of what the're talking about. So, if you are competent, go for it.

Don't sweat the critics

+1

If what you want to do isn't illegal, immoral, or unethical... then enjoy your hunt...

I dont personally have a desire to hunt DG with a bow.. but I would certainly find your hunt report intriguing and would happily read it..

Im sure some members here dont understand my love for hunting wild hogs with knives and dogs (one of my favorite hunts every year.. a bunch of us get together every spring and chase them for 3-5 days in South East TX).. and Im perfectly ok with that.. :)

Thank you for sharing your concern. And a lot of well made points all thru this discussion. Though dangerous game hunting is not new, Fred Bear set the bar, and he killed everything under the sun, as has Tom Miranda and so on. Life is a risk, but it's not that risky. Preparation, within reason is what is expected. And there are a variety of ways to hunt Cape Buffalo and you can do the blind, which is less risky, you can spot and stalk, these are all obvious to this web site. I recently returned from a successful Buff hunt and in the process of just actually walking in the bush, we had a bull who was unhappy and had a few guys climbing trees. We stalked to less than 20, One arrow, buff went 50 yds, fell over, did the groan, done deal. Just use common sense, good equipment, practice and enjoy it, you could get run over by some jackwagon driving a car, that's riskier.

Why bring this into the open forum? If the message came as PM them respond via PM. Besides, watch Tom Miranda - he paid for a buffalo with a bow then got to watch his PH shoot the buffalo he paid for...

I think I'd tell whomever PM'd you to mind his own business. It'd legal. With proper equipment and training/practice its certainly ethical. As hunters we need to stand together against the anti hunting crown. If we're divided then they win. Get a great PH and go have a great hunt. Don't let the naysayers bother you!
Bruce

DG spans a range. Buff? Rhino? Lion?

Not a bow hunter, but trying a lion with a bow at less than 30 yards gives me the willies. If you do it, I'd like to read about it.

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?
Only worry about the opinion of the person paying for your hunt. I am sure hundreds of PH will line up to take your cash and help you succeed on an epic archery adventure.

I see pictures of successful DG hunts with a bow hunter or bow huntress and think “damn that’s impressive”. Taking a lion, leopard, hyena, etc. with a bow is an amazing accomplishment IMO. I only hunt with rifles/shotguns but I know archery is much harder, takes much more patience and a big nut sack.

Good luck. Would love you to follow up with pictures of your success.

I'm been researching and looking for help on hunting dangerous game with my bow. I just received a message from a lifetime Bronze member, I will not give names, calling me foolish and said Im risking my PH's life. At first, it upset me but now it just saddens me. Our society has reached a point were we feel it's acceptable to attack people that hold different opinions or passions.

So, he feels it's unacceptable to bow hunt dangerous game with a bow. That's Fine but why send a stanger a message calling him a fool. How's this any different, then the liberals taking away our hunting rights because they feel it's foolish and wrong?
If you shoot your bow well go hunt and have a great adventure. Ignore the off comment.
heck I have seen a YouTube video of a bow hunter taking an elephant with his bow and you don’t get much more dangerous than that.

Rack him up as a keyboard warrior like so many today unfortunately. :cautious: Blow it off, do what you want. As above Fred Bear did it all with a recurve. You can YouTube the video of him taking a polar bear back in the day. Times I think driving in rush hour traffic in Houston is the most dangerous thing I have ever done.

First- Welcome to AH
Second- I have been bowhunting for about 64 years ( hunted NA & Africa)
Third- Properly set up archery equipment can kill any animal that walks this
planet
Fourth- "Nock up, go hunt and don't be bothered by critics !"

Having only taken 7 deer and 1 elk with a bow (oh and numerous rabbits and grouse) I cannot imagine the challenge and rush of taking a cape buffalo! I severed all four tendons in my right rotator at 50 and sadly never picked up a bow again. You now have me wondering if at 75 I could still draw one.
Enough of my rambling! I say you should go for it and don’t forget to take photos and give us a write up on it. I think it would be quite an exciting time!

Just curious, is that you in your avatar photo? Is that a bow in the photo? Have you hunted buffalo already with a bow?

Yes, I just got back from South Africa last month. My daughter and me went with a group of friends. We had an amazing time. It was our 2nd trip so I'm waiting to expand to other areas of Africa.

Having already hunted buffalo with a bow you may want to share your experience if you have not done so already.

I have killed over 10 cape buffalo and several elephant, all with rifle, so I have a little experience with dangerous game.

IMO, hunting dangerous game with a bow, or pistol for that matter, is not the best of ideas. However if a hunter is proficient with his choice of weapon and the PH is experienced with bow hunters and is willing to accept the risk, go for it. It is only my opinion. Be prepared for the PH to be a little trigger happy. I look at hunting DG as being prepared for when things turn bad, not for when everything is perfect, so choice of weapon is important to me.

Plenty of PH's have been shot by inattentive hunters with firearms. Can't say I've ever heard of one being picked off by a bow hunter!
Crap shots by clients on Leopard hunts have gotten enough PH's injured cleaning up clients messes. Seems plenty of those were rifle hunters, not bow hunters.

Welcome to the site.

actually we have had a few woundings from bow hunters over the years ( on us, hundreds on game) I was stabbed in the back of the leg & many close calls & my guiding partner was stabbed badly in the back by a archery hunter, this on Water Buffalo .

The company’s I worked for did a lot of Bowhunters & even Spear hunters with Hunt Australia, Tim Wells was one of our hunters & man he can shoot a bow better than I can a rifle, well Spears are a lot harder !

Bob Markworth from the old days & Steve Kobrine amongst others are incredible Bow Hunters, Fred was my Hero as a kid & Howard Hill my Dads, we did a lot of bow hunting & the rewards are fantastic if successful !

I think a lot of people (international hunters) only hunt with a Bow (and pistols) to make it into the record book easier or to show off, than truly want the reward from hard work, sometimes smaller heads & unsuccessful hunts ?

Besides, watch Tom Miranda - he paid for a buffalo with a bow then got to watch his PH shoot the buffalo he paid for...

Man I have wanted to see that video again! The first time I saw the PH pull those giant 416 Rigby rounds I was mesmerized!!!!!

If anyone has a link to it, please share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg