Not A Warm Welcome!!

I hope, I don't get blasted for this but I would 100% go solo for DG if it was legal. I would go for months at a time. I will say only after going with other hunters to gain the experience needed. Honestly, I love hunting alone for many reason and it's hard to put into words. It's mostly the feeling of being alone with nature, alone in one's thoughts and the feeling your at the mercy of mother nature and the animals. The peace that one gets laying under a tree with the wind blowing through the leaves. Pondering, how speical and simple life truly is. Life has gotten its self in one big damn hurry.
Chasse libre hunting in Cameroon comes close. Unguided elephant hunting etc. Google it.

Chasse libre hunting in Cameroon comes close. Unguided elephant hunting etc. Google it.

Unfortunately Cam Greig is no longer with us, he passed away in 2016.

I am not sure if anybody is putting on this type of hunt now. The logistics in Republic of Congo were a nightmare. Cam was friends with a "King" in Cameroon and conducted hunts in that area. Logistics were a bit more organized in Cameroon, but unfortunately I think chasse libre died with Cam.

That's actually a great idea. Require any client hunting dangerous game to supply a resume of sorts. It would at least help the PH see the clients level of experience. Still, the biggest thing is practice and more practice so when the blood is pumping the shoot is more instinctive.

It's always a preferred scenario to be familiar with the hunter with whom you are pursuing dangerous game. This is true for both rifle or bow. We take our hunting along with the safety of our clients and ourselves very seriously. The vast majority of clients who hunt dangerous game with us are clients who are well know to us. Most new to dangerous game have extensively hunted plaisgame with us and are looking to graduate up to a higher challenge. Their skill as a hunter or their demeanor in the field is not going to be a complete surprise.

If we do hunt dangerous game with a new client, we absolutely discuss with the client their level of experience and ability before going into the bush with them. Even with all that said, there is still inherent risk that needs to be accepted by all parties involved. It's not called dangerous game for nothing.

You will find that there are a number of members on here that think that the only way to hunt DG is with a 105mm howitzer and anything smaller is foolish.

I admire your idea of hunting DG with archery tackle. I once read that Fred Bear preferred hunting dangerous animals with archery. He said that when the arrow hits the animal they have no idea of where it came from and usually react to it much like they would if they had just been stung or bitten and think that the threat to themselves is right there and not 20 yards away.

I say go for it.
'have a whole collection of B&W Fred Bear VHS videos from way back, hunting Elephant and Buffalo with Wally Johnson in Moz, Tiger with a Majarajah, etc. He had backup and he of all people WAS very well prepared. There are many out there that will take you hunting. I think the last video of archery DG was using Buzz Charleton from Zim. (He hosted pistol, muzzleloader, and even a rich guy from france that couldn't shoot his bow for $#!^ and gut shot an elephant-perhaps the equipment selection was a bit off, too-using those solid plastic frisbees for fletching, etc. LOL) But all ended well (with a big bore rifle!) Obviously DO your part well! What DG were you thinking?? Big cats might be ideal, buff ok, but hippo/elephant-everything must be absolutely perfect. Even that leopard is gonna hurt someone if not...You'll get ultra close to rhino (they'll think it's just a vita-dart!) ;)

Perhaps the individual sending the PM felt he was doing the OP a solid. Of course, the wording could be offensive or simply giving advice. Over the last few weeks, I have had several friends tell me that my upcoming adventure plan is completely foolish. But they are genuinely concerned about my welfare. Go stick a buffalo, it will be exciting............I salute you for your plan..................and welcome to AH.....FWB

Welcome to AH. Never been a bowhunter myself, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just know your limitations when hunting dangerous game with archery and you will be good to go.

People can be very judgmental towards what they don’t understand. Even more so when they can insult you from behind the safety of a computer screen.

Perhaps the individual sending the PM felt he was doing the OP a solid. Of course, the wording could be offensive or simply giving advice. Over the last few weeks, I have had several friends tell me that my upcoming adventure plan is completely foolish. But they are genuinely concerned about my welfare. Go stick a buffalo, it will be exciting............I salute you for your plan..................and welcome to AH.....FWB
Oooohh, what is the upcoming adventure plan? It already sounds like something I want to do.

It's been done. Follow the link.

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 21.35.57.png

https://www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com/namibia-hunting-africa/hunting-cheetah/

I dont understand where or how to find all these rules for different country especially when it comes to bow hunting.

On this forum one part that is named hunting information by country. That has a ton of information. Jerome mentions specific rules about bow hunting there per country.

If not sufficient you could always start a thread. Hope you find everything you need and good luck.

I dont understand where or how to find all these rules for different country especially when it comes to bow hunting.
If you want to import your trophies there are added rules. I don’t think you can import cheetah in to the US from any country.

That's actually a great idea. Require any client hunting dangerous game to supply a resume of sorts. It would at least help the PH see the clients level of experience. Still, the biggest thing is practice and more practice so when the blood is pumping the shoot is more instinctive.
A resume? What will people think of next? Maybe we ought to get a Bachelor’s degree with a diploma in hunting! That idea is as bad as the direction some lefties are going when suggesting extensive training, insurance and clearance by a doctor prior to gun ownership. Too funny. Hunt with what you want, there are guides that will take you. Of course it’s appropriate to be proficient. But if your not, tell your guide and agree they will back you up. If your willing to pay a guide as a newbie they should offer their services . Of course it’s their prerogative to deny you, but find one that won’t deny a newbie(or lack of experience with a bow on dangerous game). For crying out loud, what the heck is this world coming to? Lol

Vinootz,

I agree with what you wrote except for what is quotes.
That idea is as bad as the direction some lefties are going when suggesting extensive training, insurance and clearance by a doctor prior to gun ownership.

I am a lefty but want none of that. Wish I was born right handed, it makes buying guns for the right side easy.

I'm not a bow hunter, there, that's my disclaimer!
The first thing I thought of when this posting first went up was would a person bow hunt DG without ANY backup? No PH, no one, just the hunter and the animal or animals. Lion, rhino, even leopard, miles from camp, with no backup.
That's where my mind went.

Been there, done that. I was on a water buffalo hunt and when we find the water buffalo after looking for him for quite some time, I grab my bow in one hand and the door handle in the other to get out and start stalking. My guide informs me he left his rifle at the lodge and just tells me to shoot him from the truck. I inform him that he is on crack if he thinks I am going to shoot a buffalo from inside a pickup. Said guide then tells me not to stray too far and he will be in the truck if I need him. I tell my daugher, who is with me to film the hunt, to not step foot out of the truck, then make my way off to stalk and shoot the buffalo knowing I have no rifle to back me up. Needless to say, I will never hunt anything with that outfit again. I would not want to hunt DG without some form of backup. Either a PH with a rifle or at the minimum a handgun. Sadly, in California we cannot bow hunt and carry a pistol, even with a CCW.

A resume? What will people think of next? Maybe we ought to get a Bachelor’s degree with a diploma in hunting! That idea is as bad as the direction some lefties are going when suggesting extensive training, insurance and clearance by a doctor prior to gun ownership. Too funny. Hunt with what you want, there are guides that will take you. Of course it’s appropriate to be proficient. But if your not, tell your guide and agree they will back you up. If your willing to pay a guide as a newbie they should offer their services . Of course it’s their prerogative to deny you, but find one that won’t deny a newbie(or lack of experience with a bow on dangerous game). For crying out loud, what the heck is this world coming to? Lol
Try and get a permit for a legit rhino hunt. You will need a resume. I have applied twice. The first time, I had a 23-page application. I was trying to get a bow permit for rhino and was denied. The second time, my permit application was up to 27 pages. Still waiting to hear back on it. If they keep denying it, my application will grow until I finally just have to mail them a novel. I expect I might need to send it to a guide for my elephant hunt just to get him some peace of mind when that time comes around, but having a hunting resume probably isn't that bad an idea. You can learn a lot about a person from a proper one and it will help the guide know your capabilities, what you have done and what you are looking to do, as well as how you prefer to hunt. It is in writing so there is no misunderstanding.

I learned long ago that most disappointment in relationships come from undeclared expectations not being met. That goes beyond just marriages. Make sure your expectations are declared. Then, there are no misunderstandings.

I let my guides know that their job aside from driving me around and advising is to keep me and the rest of the people in the party safe. If in their professional opinion they have to shoot to stop a charging animal from hurting somebody, I won't be mad at anybody other than myself for creating such a situation. That said, they do not otherwise shoot my animal unless I ask them to. I already had that happen once and don't want to go through that again (PH shot an animal with a mortal arrow wound when it started running because he thought it could have run a long distance before it dropped). In my mind, when the rifle fires, I have already lost my trophy. For the record, that incident was on an animal (giraffe) that you cannot even put into a record book, so it isn't about chasing entries into the books.

And just to add, I have taken 2 Cape buffalo with a bow. Both were down in under a minute from a single arrow. Neither bull ran more than 60 yards. I have 2 lions down via bow and arrow as well and have been denied a bow permit for rhino and elephant. I will continue to apply for them until I am able to get a hunt and continue on completing my Big 5 and Dangerous 7 with a bow.

I have also taken water buffalo and bison - dangerous but not on part with the Big 5.

It's very difficult to get a PH, outfitter or gun hunter to understand our feelings alot about shooting our animals with a gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you