Night Hunt 2024

ryno111

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I’ve been to Africa once…and I’m hooked. I’m planning May 2024 for my next trip and I’d like some of the hard-to-find animals. I’ve heard a night hunt is the best option. Any recommendations for an outfitter for a spotted hyena, aardwolf, and a badger (some of the small cats would be a bonus as well).

Do you think these are doable on one trip with one outfitter? If so, any recommendations for caliber (I have a 6.5 prc, 7 prc, and 375 ruger…but didn’t know if these would do too much damage).

Thanks!

Good Day Sir.

Night Hunting is very exciting and open up opportunities on a variety of animals.

Tsala Safari’s have had good success on a wide range of the night critters.

We will be able get Honey Badger, Serval , Civet , Brown Hyena ( not exportable to US ) , Spotted Hyena, Bush Pig and few other species on our own property and concession.

You are most welcome to contact me.

Regards

Rouan

Hi there
Checkout my night critters special
Brown or spotted hyena
Honey badger
Bushpig
Genet
Civet
Jackal
Etc

Anything else feel free to ask

I’ve been to Africa once…and I’m hooked. I’m planning May 2024 for my next trip and I’d like some of the hard-to-find animals. I’ve heard a night hunt is the best option. Any recommendations for an outfitter for a spotted hyena, aardwolf, and a badger (some of the small cats would be a bonus as well).

Do you think these are doable on one trip with one outfitter? If so, any recommendations for caliber (I have a 6.5 prc, 7 prc, and 375 ruger…but didn’t know if these would do too much damage).

Thanks!
There are many outfitters that can help you with this. Keep in mind the spotted hyena will be hard to get and possibly a separate hunt from the others. There will be nothing left of the smaller animals with your PRC's. The .375 is the most versatile and you can use solids for the small animals. I have had great success on the smaller animals (wide variety, several safaris) with my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 shooting 70g Barnes TSX. You would do well to buy one of these very inexpensive rifles if you plan to stack up a large variety of the small game of Africa.
it is a very fun and different hunt and I wish you well.

Good day ryno111

Can definitely offer both Spotted and Brown Hyena , Honeybadger, Genet, Civet , Jackal and Bushpig …. All these critters above are often seen on our leopard baits .. Caracal and Serval are available but they are not easily found..

All can be hunted on one concession.

Happy to put this together for you if you haven’t already made a decision.

Regards

Wayne

@LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS is a night hunter in addition to other types of adventures
I am going with Bossie and Limpopo Big Game Safaris on a night hunt in August. We are going to hunt Spotted Hyena, Honey badger, Genet, Caracal, Civet, Serval, Jackal, and Mongoose. These can be hunted in a 7 to 10 day hunt. You could hunt part of the week in Limpopo and part of the week in the Cape or near Kruger. Lots of options with Bossie for night hunting. He is one of the most known night critter PH on this forum. I agree with Osama to hunt with Limpopo Big Game Safaris.

I shot the bush pig (in my avatar with Bossie at night) and several other night critters on my other hunts with Bossie I loved it so much that I am going back for more night critters.

Last edited:
I say its very important to go with an outfitter who has the night critter hunting dialed in. It takes some organisation, time, bait and of course the species need to be present. Oh and trail cam pics really get the blood going. I did the night hunts in Zim, (with Wayne once) and in SA. I also think its important to know ALL species available before going. I missed out on species in Zim and SA animals as permits were not available/pre planned because I did not state I would like one. Water mongoose in SA and small cats on one place in Zim were not allowed. There were lots, seen many but I was after hyena/jackal and had no cat permits.

I shot my bush pig at noon, not on my list but when PH started shouting shoot that, shoot that now I listened. Bang flop.

The list of possibilities is large in SA, fox- cape, bat eared?, mongoose- yellow and water, porcupine, both genets and all the normal. I will always add 5-7 days to every safari for the night stuff. Awesome fun and illegal at home.

Good luck, enjoy and please post us a hunt report.

MB

Are night hunts typically done with thermal? Is it always over bait or using electronic callers? This also interests me as it's something I do at home with hogs and predators.

I have done them many ways. Thermal, IR and plain old large objective scope. Used my 375 and 2x7x33 Leopold ultralight on some. Showed enough on moon lite nights, other times the outfitters silenced fancy hard to learn guns and scopes were used.

Hunt style depends on species you are after. Never shot small cats on a bait, always driving and lighting. Hyena, civet, honey badger and pigs on baits, while sitting supper quiet and still in a blind.

I always take a mouth blown predator call, many times we park in some grassland, savanna, hill top or opening and do a sequence, then on light and look at all the eyes. PH tells you ones to shoot. I have never used an electronic caller but do see and read some outfits are now using.

This hunt excites me as much as most daytime PG hunts do. That's reason I have done extra days/nights on every safari. You should always ask any company before you book a safari with to include a couple nights doing this style hunt if it interests you. Way better than sitting around fire drinking, but that's just my preference.

The special night critters need to be booked well out and intentions/plan organised for such a special safari but a few nights jackal or duiker pit lamping/calling can be added cheap/free to any PG safari.

MB

We still have one permit for brown Hyena , one for spotted Hyena 2024, we have civet, serval, genet, caracal, honey badger, jackal free.
savannahunting@gmail.com. 30-06 with Hikmicro scope for you to use.

IMG-20220606-WA0031.jpg
HONEY BADGER 1.jpg
CIVET 1.jpg
IMG-20210817-WA0024.jpg
20200405_200939.jpg
10824714_10152547625521106_1046090695_o.jpg
JACKAL 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS will also be able to accommodate you with Spotted Hyena and other night critters. We have some of the very best Spotted Hyena destinations in South Africa.

We are sold out on our tags for 2024 season, but still got some tags left for 2025/2026 season.

www.dksafaris.co.za
info@dksafaris.co.za
WhatsApp: +27 60 369 6320

Regards
Derian

b9568f1e-e350-421d-9efb-9ca9cc30c5c5.jpg
f703b961-1198-4b14-ac39-5da3a9fe697b.jpg
IMG_8312.JPG
e02cf029-ee83-4107-8d2a-77b32888da46.jpg
4fa59eb6-4c29-4fe4-9fed-98a356f170c5.jpg
4fa59eb6-4c29-4fe4-9fed-98a356f170c5.jpg
IMG_0655.JPG
16085A0F-F869-4377-95E3-1AFA064CF4C8.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I SHOT A BUNCH OF THE NIGHT STUFF, GENET TO SERVAL WITH A MARLIN 1894 357MAG. NO DAMAGE, ALL FULL MOUNTS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!