New/used vehicle prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
Things are a bit nuts right now. I just traded in my 2017 Chevy high country that was 6.2 gas. Was my work truck (self employed tile contractor) and had 105k miles on it they gave me $32k for it, honestly I don’t think it’s worth it but thankful for what I got as the new one is way more than that.

Have a 2008 F350 with 105K on it, a month ago the dealer sent me a letter offering to buy it back.

I am keeping this one till the wheels fall off and the body falls apart. Prices are currently nutz.

I have been researching vehicles and specifically 4 wd trucks and the prices are absolutely crazy right now. I saw a f-250 super duty at a dealership for $90,000 the other day.

anyone else truck shopped lately? Looks like I will be waiting a few years.
@Deleted member 40394
Try and get a new vehicle in Australia. A friend of ours bought a new Suzuki Jimney and had to wait 12 months.
Another person went to trade in his Toyota land Cruiser Prado and was told it would be a 6 month wait. The dealer offered him crazy money for his trade in and the use of a demo car until his arrived because he had already sold the trade in. Old mate jumped at the offer.
New car prices are thru the roof.

Don't get me started on 2nd hand car prices. A 2005 Hyundai Getz is bringing $5,000 with 250,000 km on the clock. Old shitbox Toyota Hilux with up to 400,000 km on it are stupid crazy. Even a 1997 Nissan 4x4 like mine that I paid 8 grand for ten years ago are now bringing over 10k.
I gave up trying to find a reasonable price 4x4 for my son.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
The price of trucks is nuts. Couple the high sticker prices with the fact they aren’t discounting them like they used to. I was ataFord dealer a couple of months ago and a new Expedition stickerEd for $93k. That’s almost a third of a house!
@meigsbucks
Dang houses must be cheap where you are if 93k is a third of a house. That's only about 300k for a house.
House prices over here are like car prices, thru the roof. We paid 185k for a house 10 years ago. It just a basic 3br fibro home. In the last couple of years it has jumped to over 600k. Stupid. Building materials have gone thru the roof, pun not intended. A length of 2x4 lumber has gone from $7 less than 12 months ago to over $20 for the same piece. It's just getting out of hand. Building companies started building houses for X dollars and with all the recent cost increases can't afford to finish them. The cost they had on it to start with was fine but now it is less than they can build it for. A lot of companies have gone to the wall and left a lot of pissed off customers.
Bob

I bought a new Ranger last year just before the microchip shortage affected deliveries. Got a satisfactory deal on it, and I was happy.
2 months later I went back to the dealership to spend my Ford points on a bed liner, and the Ford dealer lot was like a ghost town. Hardly any trucks being delivered to the dealer.
After that is when the vehicle market went nuts with greed.

I got lucky, and purchased at an opportune time.

@meigsbucks
Dang houses must be cheap where you are if 93k is a third of a house. That's only about 300k for a house.
House prices over here are like car prices, thru the roof. We paid 185k for a house 10 years ago. It just a basic 3br fibro home. In the last couple of years it has jumped to over 600k. Stupid. Building materials have gone thru the roof, pun not intended. A length of 2x4 lumber has gone from $7 less than 12 months ago to over $20 for the same piece. It's just getting out of hand. Building companies started building houses for X dollars and with all the recent cost increases can't afford to finish them. The cost they had on it to start with was fine but now it is less than they can build it for. A lot of companies have gone to the wall and left a lot of pissed off customers.
Bob
Our next door neighbor had a small ranch, 1235 sqft., that just sold for about $300k. We live in a middle to mostly upper middle class area.
Home prices here took a huge jump in the past 1-1.5 yrs. Up 30-40%.
NOTE: A few weeks ago we received a nice letter from the county that they have reassessed our home value. Up about 22%. Oh goody…. more taxes!

Our next door neighbor had a small ranch, 1235 sqft., that just sold for about $300k. We live in a middle to mostly upper middle class area.
Home prices here took a huge jump in the past 1-1.5 yrs. Up 30-40%.
NOTE: A few weeks ago we received a nice letter from the county that they have reassessed our home value. Up about 22%. Oh goody…. more taxes!
@meigsbucks
Dang if 1235 sqft is a small ranch Australia must be full of small ranches. Up until 20 year ago the average house block was a quarter acre or a millipoofteenth under 1235sqft.
Bob

My "new" truck is a 2005 Dodge 2500 diesel, bought new in 2005 when the big 3 were having a price war and selling at employee pricing. My kid showed me sales of the same truck going for over $50k with 225k-280k miles on them; mine has 177k. Sticker when I bought mine was $44k. But I still need that power fairly regularly, so any "profit" from selling it would be spent buying some other overpriced used truck. If anyone's looking, I do have a '92 F250 4x4 extended cab with the 460 in it I'd like to sell, lol. Wonder if I can get what I paid for out of that beast these days.....

Ex just sold her house. She bought it in '98 for a little over $120k after she became my ex. Sold it in August of this year for $525k. Not a bad appreciation in 24 years. Real estate is just as nuts as the car market these days.

Yes land and homes are insane right now. I will be looking to build in 2023 after this divorce shakes out. Might have to wait though with these crazy build prices.
Murder is cheaper than divorce so I'm told.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a great time to buy new if you can pay at or below MSRP. I got a new truck 6 months ago, financed 40% of the cost because the rate was so good..I can sell it right now for more than paid for it....It will go back down eventually but at least depreciation isn't a problem today.

Due to Cafe standards trucks are going to be more complicated so they can get better MPG, think twin turbo V6s that the cab has to be removed for a waste gate issue. Plus they have the active driver monitoring thing coming in 2025, IIRC.

I bought now simple 7.3 gas motor and pulled all the fuses on the modems/tracking devices while I still can.

Lot of things to consider than just cost.

@meigsbucks
Dang if 1235 sqft is a small ranch Australia must be full of small ranches. Up until 20 year ago the average house block was a quarter acre or a millipoofteenth under 1235sqft.
Bob
Just to make sure we are on the same page. When he said ranch, that is a style of house, not a place to raise livestock.

I have a 96 Ford F250 with the 7.3 diesel.

A year ago while getting fuel a gent came up to me and offered me $10,000 for it without even looking at it except for the exterior that he could see. Then last February while I was down in Arizona hunting I had two more gents ask me if I would sell it.

My problem is what would I do after I sold it? I've built a truck online a couple of times and for what I want it's around $70,000 for the 6.7diesel that adds $10,000 to the price for the diesel option.

I'm starting to see used 2012 and newer trucks hitting the market every now and then for a good price. The problem is that most are 4 door with a short box, either will work for me.
I had someone last week offer me $14,000 cash on my 2003 6.0 King Ranch without looking at it aside from the exterior and hearing it running while in a parking spot. Same thoughts went through my mind, despite having a second truck I could run 100% of the time instead of just for work.

I regret selling my 2001 7.3L but it was a northern truck and I could put my fist through the frame in a few spots. Looked for 6mo for a decent donor truck I could drop the engine in and didn’t find one until 2 weeks after when I stumbled across an excursion with a blown engine. 7.3L excursion is my personal dream hunting rig.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. When he said ranch, that is a style of house, not a place to raise livestock.
@Inline6
Mate by the sound of things I'm not even in the same library.
I thought it was the size of the land.
When I hear the word ranch I think of a cattle farm, I thought it was a bit small.
Surprise how one word can mean different things
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg