New/used vehicle prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
Absolutely NO INTEREST in an E-Truck.

No technology can overcome physics.

You can't tow a serious load for any distance on fairy dust and unicorn farts.

No clearance.

Winter tires and wheels, light throttle, lots of counter steer, hope for the best is the plan. rwd, supercharged v8, it'll be exciting I'm sure.
Studded winter tires work really well. When I met my now wife, she had a '85 Ford T-Bird with RWD. We lived in area here with lots of snow. She had studded tires on the rear with some weight in the trunk. I was amazed at how that car could go through 4-6" of snow with no problem. We later had a FWD Dodge mini van with studded tires all around. It too had no problem in the snow.

And that's why I live in the south! I bought 500.00 worth on snow chains and tensioners on my first elk hunt. Was not going to be stuck on a mountain, haha.

And that's why I live in the south! I bought 500.00 worth on snow chains and tensioners on my first elk hunt. Was not going to be stuck on a mountain, haha.
I only used mine once here when elk hunting when we got 15" of snow. Actually, I didn't have any along on that hunt, but another guy had just bought chains and we put them on my truck as he didn't want to drive in that amount of snow.

I only used mine once here when elk hunting when we got 15" of snow. Actually, I didn't have any along on that hunt, but another guy had just bought chains and we put them on my truck as he didn't want to drive in that amount of snow.
I knew/know nothing about them. I bought a set when they came in I realized 2 is a set...had to turn around and order another set. Lesson learned. They are still in the bag, anytime I go out west to hunt they come with me. Kind of like that 17.5 winch, never used it. It's cheap insurance to me if things go bad.

The first year that I had my 96 Powerstroke I went hunting deer in Utah. It started to snow around noon on the opening day and didn't quit for 24 hours. That second day we drove a loop to get on the backside of where we were hunting. As we headed up the hill we started to get into the snow. I spotted a little nob of a hill right off of the road I backed up onto this dry spot and put chains on all 4 tires and away we went. The higher we went the deeper the snow got. We were the only vehicle out on that road.

We ended up shooting 2 nice 4x4 mule deer bucks and since going over the top was 150 miles closer to camp we headed up the road. By the time we reached the top at around 10,500 feet I was pushing 3'+ of snow with my bumper and grill. Other hunters just stood off the side of the road as this diesel truck ground it's way up the road in low range.

The next day there were trucks stuck all over the place where they had tried to follow my tracks. I was chained up for the next 5 days trying to get my nephew a deer, he got a number of shots but no hits and he missed one that was over 36"wide. I thought about taking his rifle away from him on that one.

The first year that I had my 96 Powerstroke I went hunting deer in Utah. It started to snow around noon on the opening day and didn't quit for 24 hours. That second day we drove a loop to get on the backside of where we were hunting. As we headed up the hill we started to get into the snow. I spotted a little nob of a hill right off of the road I backed up onto this dry spot and put chains on all 4 tires and away we went. The higher we went the deeper the snow got. We were the only vehicle out on that road.

We ended up shooting 2 nice 4x4 mule deer bucks and since going over the top was 150 miles closer to camp we headed up the road. By the time we reached the top at around 10,500 feet I was pushing 3'+ of snow with my bumper and grill. Other hunters just stood off the side of the road as this diesel truck ground it's way up the road in low range.

The next day there were trucks stuck all over the place where they had tried to follow my tracks. I was chained up for the next 5 days trying to get my nephew a deer, he got a number of shots but no hits and he missed one that was over 36"wide. I thought about taking his rifle away from him on that one.
Yeah, 3’ of snow and I’m staying in camp having a beer! I’m not getting stuck and having to come back in the Spring to get my truck. Came close once, never again!

Yeah, 3’ of snow and I’m staying in camp having a beer! I’m not getting stuck and having to come back in the Spring to get my truck. Came close once, never again!

But that's when all of the animals are out and headed to the low country, it can turn into a turkey shoot. The two nice bucks we got were busting snowdrifts on their way out of the high country. And the one that my nephew missed was having a hard time even moving. He took 4 shots and all of them went over the bucks back at a little over 100 yards. His dad was yelling at him and I wanted to grab the rifle away from him and shoot the buck, but I just watched telling him where he was hitting.

I was amazed at the difference chains made last winter on my truck. I only put them on the back. I hate having to use them but they sure help.

The key every single one of them go down by 70% in battery charge when they tow anything. Until they fix that would never buy one
So does gas mileage, but not that much. “If” a truck could have a 400 mile range and I could get near 300 miles towing, that would cover the vast majority of my use in my home area. A 1000 mile road trip is another question.
I bet we will see expansion in range and function pretty soon. A guy willing to pay $100k for a diesel truck might just do so for an electric if it works the same. But with electric you’ll get bigger horsepower and torque numbers.

Having grown up around trucks pulling horse trailers, the old 300 hp motor is dwarfed by what comes in a big diesel today. Today it amazes me that cruise control works while pulling horses uphill at 80 mph. Imagine 1000/1200 hp/torque in an electric. But… the charging system will have to get faster too.

it is hard not to be fascinated by the technology changes.

So does gas mileage, but not that much. “If” a truck could have a 400 mile range and I could get near 300 miles towing, that would cover the vast majority of my use in my home area. A 1000 mile road trip is another question.
I bet we will see expansion in range and function pretty soon. A guy willing to pay $100k for a diesel truck might just do so for an electric if it works the same. But with electric you’ll get bigger horsepower and torque numbers.

Having grown up around trucks pulling horse trailers, the old 300 hp motor is dwarfed by what comes in a big diesel today. Today it amazes me that cruise control works while pulling horses uphill at 80 mph. Imagine 1000/1200 hp/torque in an electric. But… the charging system will have to get faster too.

it is hard not to be fascinated by the technology changes.
The tec has been around for a long time, trains use it, electric is big tq numbers. The batteries are not going to last, charging takes to long, range is to short. If my diesel motor goes out, 12k to replace it. If the batteries go out on a longer range EV it's 28k. If I buy a beater and the motor fails(gas burner), I can go to a junk yard pull another for 1500 and have it changed out in a weekend. EVs are not for poor or lower middle class. Hell honestly who is going to pay 80k for an EV just to turn around and in 5-8 years the batteries need to be replaced? Have a 74 dart, you will not see a 48 year old tesla on the road, it will not happen.

The tec has been around for a long time, trains use it, electric is big tq numbers. The batteries are not going to last, charging takes to long, range is to short. If my diesel motor goes out, 12k to replace it. If the batteries go out on a longer range EV it's 28k. If I buy a beater and the motor fails(gas burner), I can go to a junk yard pull another for 1500 and have it changed out in a weekend. EVs are not for poor or lower middle class. Hell honestly who is going to pay 80k for an EV just to turn around and in 5-8 years the batteries need to be replaced? Have a 74 dart, you will not see a 48 year old tesla on the road, it will not happen.

I read an article where someone was quoted almost 30k to replace the battery in a chevy volt. Chevy had discontinued it and it had to be sourced elsewhere. Imagine the price of a discontinued giant truck battery or batteries. Also, what about the guys trying to haul more than just a horse trailer. What about the guys hauling gooseneck trailers full of hay all day? If I can't take a vehicle on a simple cross country road trip, I have no use for it.

I always lease vehicles and drive for 2 years. 3 years ago I turned in my leases (1 truck and 1 SUV) and financed my current vehicles, a truck and an SUV.

I am just glad I financed both this time. I don't know why I changed from lease to finance but it seems like a good move now. Leases are also crazy now! I am keeping what I have for the near future.

I was amazed at the difference chains made last winter on my truck. I only put them on the back. I hate having to use them but they sure help.
Be careful just having chains on one set of wheels when driving in 4WD if driving a lot. It changes the ratio of tire spin and can tear up your transfer case over time. To a lesser degree, same as replacing a tire with a new one on a 4WD or AWD when the other tires are worn.

But that's when all of the animals are out and headed to the low country, it can turn into a turkey shoot. The two nice bucks we got were busting snowdrifts on their way out of the high country. And the one that my nephew missed was having a hard time even moving. He took 4 shots and all of them went over the bucks back at a little over 100 yards. His dad was yelling at him and I wanted to grab the rifle away from him and shoot the buck, but I just watched telling him where he was hitting.
Unfortunately, when we get heavy snow where I hunt in Unit 4, the "low country" is private property.

Unfortunately, when we get heavy snow where I hunt in Unit 4, the "low country" is private property.

You just need to sit above the boundaries.

A friend from Nebraska shot a buck here in unit 44 doing that. The deer scored well over 200 non typical with 15 points on one side and 13 on the other. He shot him just above the private as the buck was moving down.

Anything from 2008 forward!!! Daughters 2008 Acura burned a ton, our Toyota Venza burned a ton. Tens of thousands of Toyota owners complained, you can read endless blogs. Toyota fixed SOME of them but not the vast majority. 4cyl Ravs, etc were worst. Toyota probably lied to many about their consumption test results, but hard to prove. A good many cars burned their motors as no one dreamed they would run out of oil. I have long been a loyal customer, but caveat emptor is the motto now for sure. Better get any used vehicle thoroughly checked.
You say that.... but I've got a 2008 5.7L Tundra with 215,000mi on it and I check the oil every time I fill up and it's never burnt any oil.

I bought a Tundra when the company I worked for at the time had them as superintendent trucks and after seeing them 125,000mi+ in one year with no issues my mind was made up; and to be honest you are the first person I have ever heard of having oil burning issues with a Toyota.

Be careful just having chains on one set of wheels when driving in 4WD if driving a lot. It changes the ratio of tire spin and can tear up your transfer case over time. To a lesser degree, same as replacing a tire with a new one on a 4WD or AWD when the other tires are worn.
As long as you have some tire slippage you will be fine. The 1/4" a chain adds won't kill anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.