New rifle

maxtheflyinghorse

AH senior member
Joined
Sep 10, 2021
Messages
87
Reaction score
196
Media
7
Got my first .375 H&H. Winchester mod 70 classic super express. Made in New Haven. Over the moon.

2A252852-B178-4858-8DDF-ACDCD4620E43.jpeg
3600745D-0313-4176-96AD-ACA6524BC009.jpeg
21422148-32A7-418F-8B32-1C810DFF7E65.jpeg
2492A140-5862-49C9-A4D2-1B967CC0D679.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Good looking rifle.
 
They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!
 
I really like the straight grain of the wood and the retro recoil pad. Congratulations.
 
looks like a "lekker" rifle, enjoy it
 
They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!
Any pics ?
 
@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.
 
@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.
I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby
 
I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby
I'd recommend getting comfortable with the 375 until it's no big deal to shoot off 4 full power cartridges with good accuracy before stepping up. Lots of dry fire practice will help. Took me about a year of weekly live fire practice (with daily dry fire) to be 100% confident...but everyone is different.

I picked up a 416RM and was getting comfortable with it...then made the call to sell it. I couldn't justify having it for the number of times I expect to hunt DG. The lightweight (7.75# bare rifle) and easy shooting 375 made this an easy decision. I have no regrets for having purchased the 416, but in the end it wasn't really necessary for me.

EDIT - Me shooting the 416 at a friends house...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yVLehLH4UyWaQgrJ7

My current rig coming in at just over 10# ready to hunt...
1638534147378.png


Share a few pics of yours when you get it to the range.
 
Maxtheflyinghorse, I'm happy for you. IMHO for a working rifle it is tuff to beat a Winchester Mod. 70 in this configuration. Please let us know how she shoots. Take this rifle to Africa before diving into a larger caliber. Like many, you may decide you don't need anything "bigger."
 
Very nice rifle indeed. As has been said, it's hard to fault a Model 70 Winchester. The 375 H&H is truly one of the most versatile rounds available. I built mine on a pre 64 action and it is one of my favorite rifles/caliber. Seems no matter what bullet/powder combination I try in it, they all shoot into tiny little groups. Enjoy and a late welcome to the group.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,417
Messages
1,575,621
Members
170,367
Latest member
NellRobled
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top