New rifle

maxtheflyinghorse

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Got my first .375 H&H. Winchester mod 70 classic super express. Made in New Haven. Over the moon.

2A252852-B178-4858-8DDF-ACDCD4620E43.jpeg
3600745D-0313-4176-96AD-ACA6524BC009.jpeg
21422148-32A7-418F-8B32-1C810DFF7E65.jpeg
2492A140-5862-49C9-A4D2-1B967CC0D679.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!

Rare Breed

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Deals & Offers
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I really like the straight grain of the wood and the retro recoil pad. Congratulations.

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH elite
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Media
Deals & Offers
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
looks like a "lekker" rifle, enjoy it

maxtheflyinghorse

AH member
Reaction score
Media
They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!
Any pics ?

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.

maxtheflyinghorse

AH member
Reaction score
Media
@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.
I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby
I'd recommend getting comfortable with the 375 until it's no big deal to shoot off 4 full power cartridges with good accuracy before stepping up. Lots of dry fire practice will help. Took me about a year of weekly live fire practice (with daily dry fire) to be 100% confident...but everyone is different.

I picked up a 416RM and was getting comfortable with it...then made the call to sell it. I couldn't justify having it for the number of times I expect to hunt DG. The lightweight (7.75# bare rifle) and easy shooting 375 made this an easy decision. I have no regrets for having purchased the 416, but in the end it wasn't really necessary for me.

EDIT - Me shooting the 416 at a friends house...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yVLehLH4UyWaQgrJ7

My current rig coming in at just over 10# ready to hunt...
1638534147378.png

Share a few pics of yours when you get it to the range.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Maxtheflyinghorse, I'm happy for you. IMHO for a working rifle it is tuff to beat a Winchester Mod. 70 in this configuration. Please let us know how she shoots. Take this rifle to Africa before diving into a larger caliber. Like many, you may decide you don't need anything "bigger."

Rick HOlbert

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
plains game
Very nice rifle indeed. As has been said, it's hard to fault a Model 70 Winchester. The 375 H&H is truly one of the most versatile rounds available. I built mine on a pre 64 action and it is one of my favorite rifles/caliber. Seems no matter what bullet/powder combination I try in it, they all shoot into tiny little groups. Enjoy and a late welcome to the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLJC30

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
CM,
That is nice work! I would like that cartridge slide for 50-110 Win. I would also use it for 500 S&W. Six cartridge loops would be perfect for me.

I will send you payment immediately.

Thank you,
Akunasek wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
do you still have the Ithaca 10 ga semi auto?
kdenn wrote on TROPHY SHIPPERS's profile.
Afternoon, going to South Africa August 22 hunting with wife. will need your help with trophies. what information and how soon do you need it? went to the website and completed the form but seems i have negative energy or something with electronic communication often.
thanks for your help
ken dennison
Docpk wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
I would but the Swarovski scope
CADJR55 wrote on roverandbrew's profile.
Is that Level 7 Type 2 Primaloft PCU parka still for sale?