New rifle

maxtheflyinghorse

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Got my first .375 H&H. Winchester mod 70 classic super express. Made in New Haven. Over the moon.

2A252852-B178-4858-8DDF-ACDCD4620E43.jpeg
3600745D-0313-4176-96AD-ACA6524BC009.jpeg
21422148-32A7-418F-8B32-1C810DFF7E65.jpeg
2492A140-5862-49C9-A4D2-1B967CC0D679.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Good looking rifle.

They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!

I really like the straight grain of the wood and the retro recoil pad. Congratulations.

looks like a "lekker" rifle, enjoy it

They are an awesome rifle! I had a .375 just like it. They are a bit heavy for a .375 but I took a nice bear with mine. it works for sure! you get a lot for what you pay for those rifles. The only think I did with mine was reshape the whole stock to be more to my liking and rounded over the pistol grip into more of a prince of whales grip and recheckered the whole thing. It came out really nice! Enjoy your winchester!
Any pics ?

@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.

@maxtheflyinghorse, I didn't do it in my earlier post but wanted to welcome you to AH and now the mid-bore club if you weren't already. I'd also like to caution you to the gateway drug that is the 9.3/375 caliber and how it will only leave you wanting something bigger. May you exercise good judgement in the future.
I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby

I know that gateway lol. Very addictive. And thank you for the Welcome. Next on list is a .416 rigby
I'd recommend getting comfortable with the 375 until it's no big deal to shoot off 4 full power cartridges with good accuracy before stepping up. Lots of dry fire practice will help. Took me about a year of weekly live fire practice (with daily dry fire) to be 100% confident...but everyone is different.

I picked up a 416RM and was getting comfortable with it...then made the call to sell it. I couldn't justify having it for the number of times I expect to hunt DG. The lightweight (7.75# bare rifle) and easy shooting 375 made this an easy decision. I have no regrets for having purchased the 416, but in the end it wasn't really necessary for me.

EDIT - Me shooting the 416 at a friends house...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yVLehLH4UyWaQgrJ7

My current rig coming in at just over 10# ready to hunt...
1638534147378.png

Share a few pics of yours when you get it to the range.

Maxtheflyinghorse, I'm happy for you. IMHO for a working rifle it is tuff to beat a Winchester Mod. 70 in this configuration. Please let us know how she shoots. Take this rifle to Africa before diving into a larger caliber. Like many, you may decide you don't need anything "bigger."

Very nice rifle indeed. As has been said, it's hard to fault a Model 70 Winchester. The 375 H&H is truly one of the most versatile rounds available. I built mine on a pre 64 action and it is one of my favorite rifles/caliber. Seems no matter what bullet/powder combination I try in it, they all shoot into tiny little groups. Enjoy and a late welcome to the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you