New here.. looking for some advices on a Cape Buffalo hunt for 2022

I'm just beginning my search and I'm learning a lot. Especially in the difference between South Africa and the Rest of Africa.

I have a prospect PH in Zambia that looks really interesting. I got good reference for him by someone on a canadian hunting forum. His name is Thor Kirchner.

You won't go wrong with Thor Kirchner. He is one of the most respected PH's in Africa. All the best with your research.

Giday and welcome to the A H forums

Thanks everyone again! Great advices here.

I heard a lot about Zimbabwe but my only concern is that I’ve read on another forum that Canadians can’t enter Zimbabwe with their firearms. Any infos on that?

As I said earlier, working up loads, tuning and practicing with my rifle is a big part of the hunt itself. That’s why I want to take it with me.

Bear Hunter, I sent you a private message, please feel free to email me as well info@spearsafaris.com.
I also list a link here to a short video which will give you some insight into what we do.
Cheers Ernest

Planning is an enjoyable part and lasts far longer than the actual safari. :)

If you have deep pockets and plenty of time, you’ll really have no problem finding most any hunt with amenities to suit your tastes. For free range buffalo, look at possibilities in the Caprivi Strip, Tanzania, Zambezi Delta Mozambique, Uganda... all come to mind. A 21 day safari!! What a dream. :)

Confusing isn't it? The good part is you have enough planning time built in. But that extra time can also result in too much information!! :) Keep your fingers crossed that politically, you'll be able book and confirm the hunt, arrange and purchase airline tickets, confirm regional transportation, clear gun permits/VISAs and then be able to go. Things continue to get dicier and dicier, for hunters internationally.

A couple of things to consider in the preparation- reading, studying some background info on what to expect about the areas you may visit or hunt in southern Africa. I was serious about the longer dream safari! If you like to read, I'd suggest Horn of the Hunter by Ruark and Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway. One of the best buffalo hunting videos, IMO, is Buffalo Hunters, The Mountain Challenge Part 1, done on Mt Loosimingor, Tanzania by PH Rainer Josch. Mt Loosimingor is THE "Green Hills of Africa" that Hemingway used for the title of his book. Independent sources including relatives and the late Harry Selby, confirmed that information. Here's a link to an excellent article by Joe Coogan in the NRA Hunter Mag about that. https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/6/27/finding-the-green-hills-of-papas-africa

Digging deeper into the history of hunting in Africa, you could also read both Bell and Selous. For more casual entertainment, it's hard to beat Capstick for a large volume of well written and easy-to-read books about hunting in Africa from various perspectives.

Conversely, if you are primarily only interested in videos of "shooting" buffalo, I guess Boddington's video, Buffalo 2, is about the normal for that purpose.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH, lots of great advice on where to go Cape buffalo hunting!

Hi,

I’m turning 50 in october 2021. I’ll only have 50 once, and I’ll only live once. I want to do my lifetime dream hunt, a Cape Buffalo.

The hunt would take place in end of june/july 2022.

I have my rifle, a winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H and I want to hunt with it. It’s part of the hunt, and the memories.

I plan to use 300 grains bullets, like Partitions or A-Frame. Pushed by IMR 4350.

For me, free range is more important than the size of the animal. I just want to hunt a mature buffalo. If possible, I would like to add a few other animals like a zebra and I don’t know what else.

We would be 2 hunters on that trip. My old hunting friend is turning 50 too. He’s not as focused as me the buffalo however. But he’ll go for some other species.

We both have good hunting experience under our belt, we’re in shape and above average shooters.

Any PH recommandation would be greatly appreciated.

Propositions are welcomed too!

Thanks
Welcome to AH

Conversely, if you are primarily only interested in videos of "shooting" buffalo, I guess Boddington's video, Buffalo 2, is about the normal for that purpose.

Not to mention Mark Sullivan videos. ;)

I'm just beginning my search and I'm learning a lot. Especially in the difference between South Africa and the Rest of Africa.

I have a prospect PH in Zambia that looks really interesting. I got good reference for him by someone on a canadian hunting forum. His name is Thor Kirchner.
You will not go wrong with Thor, he is top notch and well respected by many.
he hunts some top class areas in the valley and you would likely be very pleased if you booked with him.

Dear Qc Bear Hunter

Welcome to AH. We operate in various countries, but since Cape Buffalo is your main interest we can offer you a safari in either Tanzania or Namibia. Both of these areas are free range hunting areas.

Tanzania we hunt in the famous Selous Game Reserve, the area comprises of 124 000 hectares of pristine hunting grounds. You will also get the opportunity to hunt a variety of plains game in the area
such as Zebra, Nyassa Wildebeest, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, Impala to name a few.

Nakabolelwa concession which is also bordering the Chobe River, consists of 11,400 hectares, bordering Lusese to the south. Hunting is conducted the Chobe river up to Lusese. It is mostly a floodplain with some small islands of trees... but has a relative big Cape Buffalo quota. It’s a Buffalo paradise. Stalking through the reeds and long grass are sure to get the blood pumping early in the morning. It's also has a large Hippo quotas, and both these main species are well in abundance and easy to find. Big Crocodiles also occur in the area.

Stalking buffalo through long grass and reeds, something which is sure to get ones blood coursing; the reason we do what we do....

All of these areas operated by ourselves - you are dealing with the Outfitter himself!

Should you require more information please feel free to contact us at magdel@gametrackersafrica.com

Thank you.

Hi,

I’m turning 50 in october 2021. I’ll only have 50 once, and I’ll only live once. I want to do my lifetime dream hunt, a Cape Buffalo.

The hunt would take place in end of june/july 2022.

I have my rifle, a winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H and I want to hunt with it. It’s part of the hunt, and the memories.

I plan to use 300 grains bullets, like Partitions or A-Frame. Pushed by IMR 4350.

For me, free range is more important than the size of the animal. I just want to hunt a mature buffalo. If possible, I would like to add a few other animals like a zebra and I don’t know what else.

We would be 2 hunters on that trip. My old hunting friend is turning 50 too. He’s not as focused as me the buffalo however. But he’ll go for some other species.

We both have good hunting experience under our belt, we’re in shape and above average shooters.

Any PH recommandation would be greatly appreciated.

Propositions are welcomed too!

Thanks
As an Ex Professional Hunter who owned and operated for ten years in Zambia and whose companies shot about 60+ Cape Buffalo a season, I would say if you’re looking for a “free range” hunt you should consider Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, and Botswana.... and then narrow down the hunting blocks that have a good success rate. In Zambia it’s the Luangwa Valley.... shooting Buffalo in a “fenced” area no matter how big the area is NOT buffalo hunting in my opinion.

Highly reommend, have hunted with them. Everything about the hunt was first class.
Agreed, our hunt in Dande was with CMS, Len Taylor was our PH. One of the best safaris we have been on. They have other areas that offer both plains game and buffalo, Dande is a Dangerous Game destination and does not have a lot of Plains Game.

Welcome to AH, looks as if you have received a ton of great advice. I personally would stick with Zambia. it's a beautiful country and your hunting partner can hunt PG such as Sable, kudu, Chobe bushbuck, waterbuck Puku and Lichtensteins hartebeest to name a few. Just make sure that there is PG available where you will be hunting Buff.

I went through a similar decision making process this year and ultimately chose the Luangwa Valley for my first Africa hunting trip. Cape buffalo was my priority. I had a fantastic time with Michael who is the outfitter and owner of Mbizi Safaris. The camp was right on the Luangwa River and you can see some pictures of my trip in the hunting report. I've heard great things about Thor as well and believe he is on a very adjacent property just north of the river.

Best of luck to your decision. Sounds like you're going on an amazing adventure one way or another.

Welcome to AH and the posting side! This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy! We’re here to help if we can.

Just a little update of where I am at this point.

Effectively, things can get very puzzling when speaking of hunting in Africa. From my limited search, I've seen prices going from one side to the other side of the spectrum. With a few in betweens.

I think I've seen too big at first. I had not figured that a Buffalo hunt in the wild would probably cost almost twice the amount of a buffalo hunt in a private fenced property in SA. And I'm not critic here, all those operators have major costs involved and their products are worthing every pennys they charge. I'm old enough to know that being an outfitter involve a lot of works, a lot of expenses and if that's true in Canada, that's surely also true in any parts of Africa.

I know I won't go to kill a buffalo on a property I can walk the entire perimeter in about 6 hours at a good pace. Every fall we hunt moose in not fenced areas 5-10 times greater than that. But I do understand that this fits a category of hunters and respond to a need. No problem with that.

I thought at first that I could be OK on a budget of around 20K cdn total (including my transport from canada to africa). But I realise that what I was dreaming of is more in the 35K cdn range. (I'm in Canada so every prices listed must be multiplicated by 1,25 to 1,40 depending of the money value..) And even if I have this cash right now, I just can't rationally spend that much money on a hunt.

At least, like clint Eastwood said in the movie "The bridges of Madison County": The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out but I'm glad I had them. ;)

I still have time to work all this in my head, but I'll do "once in a lifetime something special" in 2022 for sure.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who put their grain of salt in this thread. This was really interesting. I've learned a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg