New Guy from Tennessee

Lochinvar

New member
Joined
Aug 20, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
14
Location
Tennessee
Hello all. I've lurked for a long time and figured it was time to join. I got interested in Africa and safaris via the Peter Capstick gateway drug, then on to the harder stuff like Hunter, Sutherland, Rushby and Bell. I will, hopefully, be in possession of my first double in a few weeks, something I've wanted since I was 12. Hope to learn a few things and have some good discussions.
 
:S Welcome:

Can't wait to see your DR when it arrives!
 
Welcome to AH! I look forward to seeing pics and reading details of your double.
 
Welcome to the AH community from Brentwood, TN!
 
Welcome to you! Glad you're here!
 
Welcome! Whereabouts in Tennessee are you?
 
Greetings Lochinvar,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Like the others here, I too look forward to details and photo/s of your pending double rifle.
The one in my avatar was marked “Army & Navy Cooperative Society, London” etc.
It was in caliber .450 No2 NE.
It had 28” barrels and external, rebounding hammers but, was built as a nitro / smokeless rifle from the beginning.

It regulated extremely accurate with 480 grain softs and solids @ 2050 fps, through a chronograph.
Although pretty much the ballistic twin of a typical .458 Winchester load from the 1950’s / 1960’s, it generated only about half the chamber pressure of the .458 cartridge.
Therefore, it had very mild recoil, especially considering how powerful it was.

I worked up the loads for it, sometimes firing while seated at a shooting bench, over sand bags.
During one session, I fired 60 rounds from it, (mostly standing over sticks that day).
There’s no way I could’ve fired 60 rounds from a typical bolt action .458 Winchester caliber rifle, due to my sissy shoulders.

Anyway, when you get a spare moment, have a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
 
Greetings Lochinvar,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Like the others here, I too look forward to details and photo/s of your pending double rifle.
The one in my avatar was marked “Army & Navy Cooperative Society, London” etc.
It was in caliber .450 No2 NE.
It had 28” barrels and external, rebounding hammers but, was built as a nitro / smokeless rifle from the beginning.

It regulated extremely accurate with 480 grain softs and solids @ 2050 fps, through a chronograph.
Although pretty much the ballistic twin of a typical .458 Winchester load from the 1950’s / 1960’s, it generated only about half the chamber pressure of the .458 cartridge.
Therefore, it had very mild recoil, especially considering how powerful it was.

I worked up the loads for it, sometimes firing while seated at a shooting bench, over sand bags.
During one session, I fired 60 rounds from it, (mostly standing over sticks that day).
There’s no way I could’ve fired 60 rounds from a typical bolt action .458 Winchester caliber rifle, due to my sissy shoulders.

Anyway, when you get a spare moment, have a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
I surely will. The .450No2 is one that always intrigued me. Seemed like the best of the class.
 
Welcome to AH Lochinvar!
 
Welcome from our side too!!
 
Welcome aboard!
 
Welcome to AH.
 
Welcome to AH and the posting side! Great to have you here, and we look forward to you sharing your stories!
 
Welcome to AH. I live on the other side of the Smokies in Asheville.

As to tourists, November will be here soon enough and the “leaf lookers“ will have headed home.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,582
Members
169,588
Latest member
mijefpowin1987
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top