New Bird Dog

Frank Ragle

AH member
Reaction score
Just got the newest addition to my family today. She's a 10 week old Brittany out of Wisconsin. Had the pleasure of discovering that my current Britt is her aunt. She comes from Beaupre Gun Dogs in Wisconsin and comes from AKC MH line dogs on both sides. My dad was able to take a litermate and we'll be putting them on wild grouse in the U.P. this fall. I'm planning to try and take the North America Quail Slam over her first, potentially followed by the grouse slam. We named her Artemis after the Greek Goddess of the hunt. I'll try and post more as she develops! More pictures to come as well (hard to get a shot currently when she's on the move).
PXL_20210117_215013487.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!

Good looking pup! I’ve been thinking about a Brit myself. We are fortunate to have a good population of wild quail on our farm and my poor little cocker just doesn’t cover enough ground to be effective on them.

Beautiful!!! Congrats!!!

Good looking pup! I’ve been thinking about a Brit myself. We are fortunate to have a good population of wild quail on our farm and my poor little cocker just doesn’t cover enough ground to be effective on them.
Not sure where you're located. But the breeder I got her from is great. He's certified to train in the Rick Smith silent command system. Plus there's the added bonus of these dogs retrieving naturally and liking water. My current Britt is getting arthritis, but she's out retrieved and out hunted countless other breeds in the past. I love English Setters as well, but my Britt has kept pace hunting wise with the best setters I've seen around the area and out retrieved all of them.

Reactions: WAB
Good for you! Ive been looking for a brittany for awhile in the west but haven’t found one yet. I waited too long to start looking and all the winter pups are spoken for. Have fun.

Last edited:
Great looking pup ! My first bird dog was a Britt. I have been running wirehairs most of my life. I always get a kick out of petting a Britt after having wirehairs . They are so soft to the touch. Great dogs and hope it's a super dog that all hunters dream of owning.

Had a good time with this little Britt last wknd working chukars. I trained him a year or so then gave him to a nephew for high school graduation. So he feeds him but I still get to hunt over him. He is a good little retriever and a hard worker! You have some exciting goals ahead, I’m eager to follow your puppies adventures!
C7606716-6D90-4A8D-B3FE-F115B4621E79.jpeg

It sounds like you are well connected already but if you want to visit Utah for a couple days I can walk you through some good bird country. . .

Gorgeous! Have fun raising her.

Brittanies are such a bundle of energy! Enjoy them! And best of luck with those chukars!

It sounds like you are well connected already but if you want to visit Utah for a couple days I can walk you through some good bird country. . .
I am always glad to meet new people and new hunting areas! Especially those who appreciate good bird dogs. My wife hasn't really been out west yet so I'm starting to plan some bird hunt vacation/road trips over the next few years. I'll let you know if I pass by your way and do the same if you make it to the north woods.

Always wanted to go to the UP! Any good ruffed grouse hunting? That’s an upland bird my old GSP and I never got to hunt. Spruce, sage, sharptail, blue/dusky grouse, but never a ruffed.

Always wanted to go to the UP! Any good ruffed grouse hunting?
2020 was my first time up there. Just said screw it and went since I wasn't sure where I would be able to go with covid. We based around Crystal Falls and there were tons of grouse and some woodcock, though it was early (I have a friend in Iron River and he knew multiple good spots but every one was on public land). Planning to go end of Sept/beginning of Oct this year to run my dad and my Britt's. It was absolutely gorgeous and we never saw another person hunting. Would highly recommend it. Added benefit is no chains for miles. No walmarts, mcdonald's, or anything. Was very refreshing, especially since I live in Chicago. Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever make it there.

That’s a gorgeous pup! I’ve had two Britt’s, wonderful bird dogs and family dogs . Had to put my last one down about a year ago. It may be time soon to get another.

Family resemblance...even their head markings look the same!!!

Family resemblance...even their head markings look the same!!!
My older dog is her aunt! Found that out after seeing my puppies mother. They looked so alike that I asked and found out my dogs sire is the grandpa of my puppy. Looking forward to another natural ability hunting dog. Will start hunting her this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg