Namibia questions

I’ve hunted Namibia x 5 & I agree w/ @Muskox informative response. Namibia uniquely has distinct Operation types w/ my 1st hunt (2007) - Ranch style & a quaint family experience.

Important you define what you want out of the Stay & Hunt … easy to search Namibia Hunting Operators by type.

* Type: Lodge, family owned that balances Eco Tourism + Hunting.
* Hunters: +/- 15 hunters a year split across different months to ensure proper aged & fresh game meat for the lodge guests. Majority of the hunters are annual repeat clients so no need to advertise.
* Property: nice size @ 38,000 acres & diverse Topo … Mtn, thick bushveld & open savannah.
* Trophies: minimal pressure means old mature trophies.
* Least Like: I never book enough days & time goes by to fast!

Happy Trails

For those who have hunted Namibia I have a few questions?
1) what outfitter did you use?
a.Pieter Delport with Eintracht Jagd​
2) what area did you hunt?
a. Three different properties, all low fence, or hardly a fence, and no cattle/goats/sheep​
i. NW of Otavi, bordering Etosha Park​
ii. an hour W of Windhoek, in the Khomas Hochland region​
iii. near Rehoboth​
3) what did you like most about their operation?
a. best day rates in Namibia​
b. he is an experienced rifle and bow hunter​
c. even in a drought, he took me to where the animals where​
d. one on one experience was outstanding​
4) what did you like least?
a. I have no complaints, he made the trip everything I had hoped that it would be and more​
5) would you use them again?
a. YES, absolutely and I've invited him to come stay with me at my house should he ever visit the states.​
6) what was the area hunted like?
a. Namibia is normally dry, it was even more so on my trip, but it reminds me of southern New Mexico or south Texas​
7) would you change the way you did anything in your planning?
a. sure, I'd add more days and pack more arrows.​
b. I'd say do more tourist stuff, but when I'm there, I want to hunt​
i. but I'd visit some of the parks that are there, as it is a beautiful country.​
8)would you go back, or have you gone back?
a. I have not been back to hunt with Pieter, but I plan on it. We stay in communication weekly​
I hunted for 9 days
a. Harvested 9 animals, all with a bow, but he guides rifle hunters as well.​
i. 3 Oryx, 2 Hartmann's Zebra, 1 Burchell's Zebra, 1 Warthog, 1 red hartebeest, 1 Common Duiker​
b. Missed 3 animals​
i. 1 Red Hartebeest, 1 Blesbok, 1 Burchell's Zebra​
c. Passed on 3 trophy animals (couldn't afford them at the time)​
i. 1 Kudu, 1 Waterbuck, 1 Eland​
Tenth day, before heading home the next day, we went to an animal rehab location. Awesome experience and well worth the tour.

I wrote a report on AH, with pictures and video.

I love Namibia. And I'd hunt again with Pieter again, anytime, any place, as he hunts all over Africa, but he just happens to be born and raised in Namibia. When I return to Namibia to hunt, and I will one day, I will book it with Pieter.

For me, he provided more bang for the buck and took me where the animals where, even in a severe drought. Isn't that what it's all about, making your hard earned dollar go as far as it can so you can harvest more animals? I can't tell you what it cost me for my trip as he makes his packages based on each hunter, but when I tell my friends how little that trip cost, they are shocked. I always hear people they say that they can't afford to hunt Africa, but it's really not as bad as people believe. You just need a game plan, know what you want, and select the right PH.

You can't go wrong with contacting all of the names mentioned, then base your decision on the results of those conversations and your research.
If this is your first trip over, I'd for sure call as many of these people as you can. WHATS APP is your new friend.

Last edited:
I hunted with Hunters Namibia Safaris and the late Joof Lamprecht. They were DSC Outfitter of the Year a couple years before I hunted with them, so that got me interested. Also, I read Dianna Rupp's "Ask the Namibian Guides" (https://www.safaripress.com/books/book-excerpts/ask-the-namibian-guides-signed-by-author.html) and Joof sounded like a guy I would enjoy hunting with.

The lodge and ranch are northeast of Windhoek. The lodge and dining was 5 stars. Joof's wife, Marina, is a pleasure to be around. Joof passed away a few months after I hunted with them and Marina, along with her son, Joofie, have continued and grown the business. The PG hunting on the 50,000 acres was outstanding. Pretty flat terrain with some koppies.

There was one issue I didn't like and that was getting billed for a hunting day on the day of arrival. We arrived around noon and after lunch we sighted in the guns and drove back to the lodge in the dark. We didn't really hunt. I think they have changed this. If they did, I would go back. My wife and daughter and another couple went on this hunt and they loved it. This is a place to go to get your wife hooked on Africa.
I visited their booth at SCI in 2017. I spoke with Marina and got references from her. Everyone I spoke with had glowing reports. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt there.
In addition to the hunting, one thing that everyone mentioned was the food: excellent.

9) Is this ok? LOL I took my last quiz in the early 1990s after 20 yrs in school, and at that juncture I left pay-for-education behind me in favor of monetization, and the only tests being the end product quality of work and getting paid for it all. For DG: Game Trackers Africa (award winning.) For PG: Byron Hart Safaris (knows Jamy-same caliber-same intracountry connections/works for GTA) IF you simply want to hunt PG and stay on one huge property with a brand new lodge-Westfalen (All are AH sponsors) Byron lives in Windhoek, so he can easily take care of you from the airport-on, though, if hunting DG there will be more flights...There are several more than whom I mention. It's a great country! RIP Volker Grellmann-father of modern Nam wildlife conservation

Fantastic information, appreciate it all, seems like everyone’s had really good experiences

I've hunted Namibia 3 times now and am going back next year. I hunt with the same outfitter eachh time. I won't name his outfit here as he's not on the list. But I can assure you the rooms, food, and hunting are outstanding!! Free range hunting spot and stalk. Wide selection of game to hunt and they specialize in hunting Eland. Their farm is NE of Grootfontien. I know there are a lot of outfitters in Namibia but I keep going back to the same place as I feel like I'm at home. The Namibian people are some of the friendliest people I've met and I've been around the world 3 times. It's a trip you won't regret.

In 2018, I hunted with Pieter Delport of Eintracht Jagd Safaris like a few others have in this thread. He is a true hunter, guide and tracker. Does it all as good or better than anyone I’ve hunted with on 3 trips to Africa. Bow friendly not just able to accommodate bow hunters. Numerous large free range properties at or near his own family ranch. He is not just a good outfitter but a great hunter and did everything possible to ensure all in our group were able to hunt specific properties for their top choice animals. I’ll get back sometime in the next few years. I posted a report on AH.

I have hunted with Aru Safaris three times now. There are two huge ranches SE of Windhoek. They have THE most beautiful accommodations you have ever seen and the food is chef quality. I don’t have anything that I disliked but I do want to hunt other areas. I will go back there again. THey set up a private flight and tour for us of Sosusvlei. It was remarkable!
Veronica is sand and Kalakwa is rocky hills. There is quite a variety of terrain and like all of Namibia it’s beautiful.
Next year I will be hunting with Frontier Safaris in the South Near Keetmans. An area I have spent quite a lot of time in visiting friends sheep farms. I’ve even driven there a bit so I am comfortable in that area and love it!
I love Namibia and will go back to different areas as much as I can.

My two cents on Namibia.

There are a lot of different types of operators, and for the most part they fit into one of these 4 categories.

1. Ranch with the primary emphisis on cattle. It seems that more Europeans go to these than Americans.
2. Resort type place with swimming pools and more luxury (tennis courts, safari drive vehicles, petting zoos, wildlife experiences, spa treatments) amenities for the family. This seems more like the place Americans go.
3. Wilderness safari camp on lands leased from a bushman or tribal conservancy.
4. A combination of the first two, that isn't grandiose like a resort and isn't totally just cattle. This is probably a biltong ranch where most Namibians hunt their game meat on the weekends.

I have been to the first type and the 4th type. The 4th type was in Khomas Highlands, they rented horses and had biltong hunts for folks that lived in Windhoek. The 1st type was a group of big cattle and sheep ranches in the Kalahari.

I haven't been going since 2005. Covid travel fears squashed my travel plans for the past few years. Before that we were busy having kids.

I travelled quite a bit in 2010 to southern Africa for military work, but not on safaris. We stayed in one of the tourist type places outside of Windhoek.

In the end what do you want your experience to be like.

The first option will be like a ranch antelope and deer hunt in Wyoming or somewhere else in the west.

The 2nd and 4th options will be similar to the YO Ranch, 777 Ranch, Ox Ranch or many of the mid-high end ranches in Texas.

@Muskox none of your four categories accurately describe where I hunted in Namibia. Need a 5th category, perhaps more.

I visited their booth at SCI in 2017. I spoke with Marina and got references from her. Everyone I spoke with had glowing reports. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt there.
In addition to the hunting, one thing that everyone mentioned was the food: excellent.
I can't remember the gentleman's name, but the cook was truly a gourmet chef. Every meal was WOW!

I also hunter with Pieter Delport of Eintracht JagD safaris.

I would go again tomorrow if I could. I will be back to hunt with him again.

He is a fantastic hunter who works his behind off to ensure the hunter is successful.

The camps were great, the staff were very good.

Hunter plains game in the Kalahari from his Eintracht farm and then went to the Khomas Highland mountains for mountain Zebra. Even went fishing north of swakopmund.

Trip exceeded everything I hoped Africa would be .

Can't wait to return!

Screenshot_20220217-094048.png

Agagia Outfitters- hunted with them twice. Small family operation that is very personable and professional. They are located about 2 hr. north of Windhoek.

Pieter Delport, Eintracht Jagd Safaris. Best hunt I have had in Namibia. Will hunt again. Only down fall is the flight over and back.

Hunted with Pieter Delport, Eintracht Jag 2018 and posted hunting report. Pieter has a good mix of free range and high fenced properties owned by himself,relatives and close friends so never any mixups. I hunted a few different properties near lodge and somedays we just left lodge and started hunting for miles- free range. We also hunted in the Khomas Highlands west of Windhoek at a close friends place-Frikie.Closes town to lodge Witvlei about hour east. Flat country with typical bush that most people say looks like Texas. You can’t go wrong hunting with Pieter- consummate professional hunter. Will be hunting with him again bringing friends who want the real deal. No negatives with this outfitter.
We hunted at Frikie’s one day for leopard and I thought it was a beautiful farm.

In 2018, I hunted with Pieter Delport of Eintracht Jagd Safaris like a few others have in this thread. He is a true hunter, guide and tracker. Does it all as good or better than anyone I’ve hunted with on 3 trips to Africa. Bow friendly not just able to accommodate bow hunters. Numerous large free range properties at or near his own family ranch. He is not just a good outfitter but a great hunter and did everything possible to ensure all in our group were able to hunt specific properties for their top choice animals. I’ll get back sometime in the next few years. I posted a report on AH.
And your report plus taking to you is why I hunted my Leopard with Pieter. He never gave up and the results speak for his abilities.

Question for everyone who hunter with Pieter Delport, how did you find him initially? Was he a former site sponsor? or displays at a certain show? I’m surprised by how many have hunted with him when I don’t think he’s well known?

Ok so Namibia is AWESOME!!!!
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS
Khomas Highlands
Excellent service, outstanding lodging and meals, beer was amazing, best Bush TV ever, and amazing game 100% free range and tons of animals.
I loved everything
Foothills, mountains, savanna
I would have saved more money to take even more animals than I did. Also I’d have stayed at least 4 more days to see some other things I wanted to see and to spend a whole day in Windhoek instead of just a few hours. I didn’t get to go to the famous beer gardens there but will next time. I would add some fishing in and also go see the Namib. We did go to the Kalahari and see elephant and rhino which was awesome! Also got to see a Kori Bustard. The problem is Namibia has so much to offer there is no way to see and do all of it in 1 trip. I will most definitely go back.
I will absolutely go back. Namibia opened up a whole new range of the Ole “bucket list” items.
I can’t say enough awesome stuff about Namibia and Philip’s operation. The country is beautiful, the people are super friendly, and Philip has a 1rst class operation all around!

Ok so Namibia is AWESOME!!!!
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS
Khomas Highlands
Excellent service, outstanding lodging and meals, beer was amazing, best Bush TV ever, and amazing game 100% free range and tons of animals.
I loved everything
Foothills, mountains, savanna
I would have saved more money to take even more animals than I did. Also I’d have stayed at least 4 more days to see some other things I wanted to see and to spend a whole day in Windhoek instead of just a few hours. I didn’t get to go to the famous beer gardens there but will next time. I would add some fishing in and also go see the Namib. We did go to the Kalahari and see elephant and rhino which was awesome! Also got to see a Kori Bustard. The problem is Namibia has so much to offer there is no way to see and do all of it in 1 trip. I will most definitely go back.
I will absolutely go back. Namibia opened up a whole new range of the Ole “bucket list” items.
I can’t say enough awesome stuff about Namibia and Philip’s operation. The country is beautiful, the people are super friendly, and Philip has a 1rst class operation all around!

Concur, I had a ton of problems with my outfitter in 2005. Not sure if he is still operating or not. Don't care, but it was the best hunting trip I had ever been on. Just amazing!

99.9% of them were created by another client in camp.

I have all the same questions and more.
I have Zero answers...
I just made the comment so I can fallow it...thank you for those questions

Hi again Osama,

I hope you are well and still planning to visit Namibia.

You and I had multiple conversations on this topic during December 7th, 8th and 9th - 2021.

You are very welcome to cut and paste (or whatever it’s called) our above mentioned conversations into the open forum, if you are interested in doing so.
No pressure, it’s just a thought.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you