NAMIBIA: Namibia's "Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris"

MISCELANEOUS KHOMAS HOCHLAND PHOTOS:

IMG_1315.JPG

#1. Semi-Famous "Ghost House of Namibia".

IMG_1233.JPG

#2. Danny having to train-up with borrowed bow, because British Air took his, with no explanation or remedy either one, just shrugs and 1,000 yard stares.

IMG_1159.JPG

#3. Philip's faithful Rhodesian Ridgeback, name of Voodoo.

IMG_1092.JPG

#4. Typical Highland thorn bush / excellent wild game, bird and reptile habitat, supporting multiple species in very healthy condition.

IMG_1086.JPG

#5. Sunrise over the flats, within The Khomas Hochland Highlands.

IMG_1050.JPG

#6. Guldang willderbeasts seemed to be almost everywhere.

IMG_1087.JPG

#7. Ol' Dale, enjoying a Taffel Lager at the end of the day.

IMG_1089.JPG

#8. Around the supper table, in the main house, at historic Farm Heusis.

Always love seeing camp pics and scenery pics, thanks for sharing those as well!

DAY #7:

6:15 AM, Breakfast but our cook (Adab's wife) evidently was not present and we missed our normal breakfast ingredients.
6:45 AM, Adab was on deck as usual but, very sick with a respiratory infection / "chest cold", as he was coughing a lot and sounded as if he had mud in his lungs.
Being a tough guy and all, he wanted to roll so, off we went, with Eric at the helm, myself and good old Adab in the bed of the bakkie.
Only this time Adab was seated on the bench, instead of his usual standing upright posture, as we headed out into the hills.
After a half hour or so (and seeing some oryx, springbock and hartebeest, Adab began to perk up and was soon enthusiastically standing up again).

CHACMA BABOON:
At around 8:00 AM, as we rolled past the remnants of a former leopard bait (zebra leg, mostly bone now, hanging from the low branch of a thorn tree), a single baboon ran from same, as if he was suddenly on fire.
Judging by his hasty retreat, I'd bet a Windhoek lager that he'd been shot at before.
Across a flat area of mostly grass and dirt he did go, seemingly just barely touching the ground.
Eric poured on the coals, as we crossed the flats, until we reached a one meter high drop-off / cut bank, on our side of a dry creek bed (at the bottom of a mountain).
The monkey had already leaped over this dry creek, like a low flying bat and was racing up the mountain, from right to left, and slightly quartering away from us, as he quickly gained altitude.
We slid to a stop on the dirt and dead grass, just short of the dry creek and I fetched up the .375, chambering a round as the butt landed in my shoulder pocket.
My quarry was now only visible in short openings between the thorn as he bolted, leaving little puffs of dust wherever his feet had touched the ground.

Instead of doing something useful with my formative years, I instead spent quite a bit of it shooting jack rabbits (look pretty much EXACTLY like an African hare but, jack rabbits do not dig burrows into the earth like hare do), with rifles such as the .30-06 and other "deer calibers", (OK, I was a strange child ........ so was Dale, LOL).
Right there and then was a moment in time when, the above mentioned pastime of my sordid youth paid for itself, as I quickly decided el mono was racing up through the bushes and rock outcroppings, at around 250 to 300 paces, and I held accordingly (about half a meter in front of his nose and elevation about the same height as his nose), then swung my rifle with him for a fraction of a moment and fired.
Boom...smack, and Mick Jaeger rolled, ass over tea kettle in a cloud of dust then, stayed sprawled out on the ground, no thrashing about or anything at all.
Adab forgot about being sick and slapped me on the back, shook my hand and declared something about such a long shot on a small, running target.
We climbed down and Eric got out, all 3 of us shaking hands and chattering about this baboon.

My 300 grain PMP round nose soft had impacted just barely left of the tail root and exited his right side, up a bit forward, just behind the last rib.
He was an adult male, yet his fangs were not as long as some I have seen.
The exit hole was a small oblong affair, with a couple inches of intestines sticking out.
Adab declared the distance of this shot to have been 220 meters.

We gathered up the critter and marched back down to our chariot, then we returned to camp in time for lunch.

IMG_1292.JPG

12:15 PM, lunch was lasagna of sorts, but this one was made with egg noodles, mince ("hamburger meat"), cheese melted on top, also accompanied with a green salad and the usual things.

3:15 PM, coffee and cookies, then off we go to more hunting.

Eventually, we reached a dry, mostly sandy bottomed river course, interspersed with huge rocks.
On both banks there were camelthorn trees, wait-a-bit and cat's claw bush, plus knee high dry grass in places.
Eric stopped the bakkie and Adab whispered to me "we look for duikers here".
Down we climbed, then Adab motioned for me to chamber a round and I did so as quietly as possible.
Eric drove off, to travel the long way around and meet us somewhere down stream.
From the start, Adab and myself walked slowly, stopping every now and then to scrutinize one thing or another that didn't look quite right.
However, we saw no game worth trying for but, walked perhaps 3 kilometers or a little more.
Even so, I enjoyed this hike very much, because the ground was pretty much flat, and easy walking.

There was plenty of antelope spoor, on both sides and in the sand as well - small, medium and large - but none were courteous enough to reveal themselves, including any duiker.
I figured this likely was due to the abundant "feathered spies" (guinea fowl) posted strategically along our rout that, when we'd draw near, suddenly they'd start clucking loudly like lunatics watching a World Cup Soccer event, and flying up en-mas to confirm to the ground dwelling animals exactly where we were.
I made a sober oath to myself to sort out these flying snitches, before leaving this Hunter's Garden Of Eden.

Lowe and behold, about the time I saw our vehicle with Eric sleeping in the front seat, it began to rain.
So, I unloaded the rifle, we climbed onto the bakkie, made sure the rifle was protected from rain, put on our coats and we skeedaddled back to camp by 6:30 PM.
As the others gradually trickled in, I learned that Danny had bagged two jackals, a warthog, and a Hartmann's zebra, by means of Erren's (his PH) .375 H&H.
Dale had been staking out a water hole for baboon and saw some but, did not get a shot as the old male of the troupe was too skittish.
He (Dale, not the alpha baboon), showed us that he had fallen on some sharp rocks earlier in the day, cutting one elbow to the bone.
Our Safari Medic (Danny aka DoupleLunger) patched up Old Dale's wound and changed the dressing regularly.
Dale being a tough old buzzard, pressed on throughout the rest of his safari with no complaints, until the last day as we were packing up to go home.
At that point he mentioned that his hand on the injured side was extremely weak, to the point that he could not hold the weight of his rifle in that hand.
We shamed him into promising us he would go forth with to a Doctor, just as soon he got settled at home again.

I neglected to take notes on Dale and Danny's adventures but you can read Danny's posts on his times there in Namibia's Khomas Hochland Highlands, within posts under his screen name of DoubleLunger.
Likewise, since we did very little hunting together on this trip, I have virtually no photos of Dale's critters in my camera.
However, at some stage we will exchange photos.
So, at that point I will post Dale's animals taken.
He did very well, bagging I think 10 animals "on license", plus game birds and he may have taken a cull animal or two but I'm not absolutely sure about that part.
We cut our teeth on hunting vermin in the mountainous deserts of North Eastern California, and North Western Nevada so, precise rifle shooting from field positions is a very familiar activity for him and he bagged his critters smartly as such in Namibia.
His personal hunting rifle for the open spaces of the Western USA and Western Canada (he hunts deer and elk each year in Montana and has also taken them in British Columbia) is a Browning "A-Bolt" in .338 Winchester, loaded with 225 grain spitzer.
Therefore, when he was issued the Sauer bolt action .300 Winchester Magnum and 180 grain spitzers, he settled right in with it's somewhat similar trajectory and recoil.
I look forward to posting his photos in this forum, as he has been my friend for 50 years now and we surely have had some fine hunting / fishing times over the years.
Among several other critters, he sacked on this Namibian Safari, Dale shot a quite large bull kudu and a shaggy, very long in the fang old baboon.

Well anyway, another delicious Farm Heusis supper as usual and then off to the hay.

TO BE CONTINUED ....

Last edited by a moderator:
nstead of doing something useful with my formative years, I instead spent quite a bit of it shooting jack rabbits (look pretty much EXACTLY like an African hare but, jack rabbits do not dig burrows into the earth like hare do), with rifles such as the .30-06 and other "deer calibers
Spent my summers in West Texas doing the same. My dad, uncle and I shot 56 one night. Took them to a couple named Homer and Rose and fed them to their 26 dogs who promptly devour every one, bones hair and all! Feeding frenzy!

Spent my summers in West Texas doing the same. My dad, uncle and I shot 56 one night. Took them to a couple named Homer and Rose and fed them to their 26 dogs who promptly devour every one, bones hair and all! Feeding frenzy!

I've heard that dogs like that can only be killed by a silver bullet or, by drowning in water that's been blessed by a Priest but, only a Priest who has not buggered a child (or even thought about it while drinking heavily).

Last edited:
DAY #8:

6:15 AM, back to the normal breakfast of fried egg, meats, toast and perfectly strong, hot coffee, fruit juice and all the rest.
Dale reports having a stomach bug for the last couple days.
I wondered if he perhaps got gut juice on a hand from helping roll some animal over to pose it for photographs, and didn't wash up completely before eating lunch perhaps, thereby introducing live E. coli bacteria into his own guts.
Because a day or two prior, when having a beer around the evening fire, he burped loudly and we made fun of him, as he then suddenly smelled exactly like zebra guts or name your hooved animal being cut open.
So, yours truly having been sick in the tropics more than once or twice myself, "prescribed" taking several thousand milligrams of Vitamin-C tablets several times a day, eating very spicy hot peppers, and eating the pulp, peel and all of as much lemon and lime as he could stand and it worked.
Within 24 hours he felt a lot better and 48 hours later he said he felt "normal" again.

BIRTHDAY HUNT:
At breakfast, Philip approached me about travelling over to a neighbor's place and shooting some animals for a birthday party this neighbor was planning to host for a relative, there would be quite a few on the guest list.
Of course I agreed and so arrived there after a half hour to an hour drive, with Adab and Eric.
The land owner greeted us and said he wanted me to take thee hartebeest or three gemsbok or any combination thereof, totaling three animals in all but, instructed to avoid taking adult males.
So away we went, Adab and Eric obviously very familiar with this beautiful, low rolling hills type property, again - no game fences here.
Within 15 or 20 minutes, Adab spotted a single oryx which, was standing on a distant hill, perhaps 3/4 of a kilometer from the "track" (two tire track type, dirt road) we were driving on.
Eric stayed with the bakkie, while Adab and myself went off on foot, to try our luck with this animal, the slight but almost no breeze, moving from our left to right.
However, as we were making our final sneakeroo, with perhaps only about 300 meters now remaining between us and our target, and us intending to close the distance to less than that before actually shooting, a kudu cow exploded from the thorns, about 50 paces in front of us, "roaring" loudly once, (not totally unlike a red stag or impala will do sometimes), and galloping away with enthusiasm.
Of course, our oryx was spooked off by this ruckus.

As usual, Adab was undaunted by this, immediately pointing to our left and he whispered that we will press on, directly into the breeze, "to check a valley for animals".
After walking slightly uphill for only about 15 or 20 minutes, we topped a ridge and were looking across a very small valley, dotted with a few trees and bushy plants.
In the bottom, were perhaps 8 or 10 hartebeests grazing, obviously unaware of our presence.
As much as possible, keeping various trees and clumps of bush between us and the animals, we tip toed down, from bush to bush, until about 100 meters from the closest animal and perhaps 15 or so meters higher in elevation.
We were then fairly well concealed among some of the common "stegosaurus scale" type rock outcroppings, a couple of the tallest slabs being about 5 feet high and one bushy thorn tree growing among them, effectively hiding our outlines, except from about our shoulders up.
Adab set the sticks and whispered "no bulls there" and that I was to commence shooting any of them "until I say stop".

I selected one down there, more or less in the middle of this little herd and placing my crosswires high on her shoulder (due to the downward angle), and touched off a shot.
At the exact worst moment (the moment of ignition), she stepped forward and my blunt shaped 300 grainer hit her well back from the shoulder.
I could be proven scientifically wrong about this some day but until then, I strongly believe one of the advantages of hunting with round nose and / or flat nose bullets is that they hit harder than sharply pointed bullets do, all else being equal of course.
This animal's reaction to being essentially gut shot was to fall down, apparently dead.
So, I selected another animal and shot it on the shoulder, it of course dropping to the shot and then a third one, with it also dropping to the shot.
Adab said "stop" as I was chambering a 4th round, my rifle's recoil pad still seated firmly seated in my shoulder pocket, "Sgt York style" LOL.
As we started down toward these three hartebeests, the first one suddenly tried to get up so, Adab had me shoot it again.
Adab congratulated me and then radioed Eric to meet him at some particular land mark along the track.
I stayed with these animals and eventually the men returned with the vehicle so, we loaded all three into the bed of our bakkie and returned to the Land Owner's place.

There I examined the animals and saw that the bullets (PMP brand 300 grain RNSP) had left golf ball or smaller exit wounds on each of these three hartebeests.

LUNCH:
I neglected to jot down what time we returned to Farm Heusis but they held lunch for us.
We were served game burgers with the standard hamburger style accoutrements and fries, made from scratch.

COFFEE:
3:00 PM. as usual and then off to hunting again.

Today however was a little different, because Dale and myself had pretty much run out of money to pay for any more critters LOL.
Earlier in this visit to Farm Heusis, I mentioned to Dietmar that, in Alaska it is somewhat common for hunters to make schnitzel from goose breasts and its not unheard of for smaller game birds, such as ducks and grouse.
So on this particular afternoon, we were sent out in the same vehicle with Adab and Eric to hunt guinea fowl, with one bolt action .22 rifle between us and 30 rounds of ammunition for it.
This rifle was an "Armscore" brand bolt action, with a small scope on it and a detachable 9 or 10 shot straight or "stick" type magazine.
The rifle was not much to look at but, it was in fact very accurate.
Khomas Highlands is festooned with guinea fowl however ......
By the time I had run the magazine dry, I had only managed to bag 4 guinea fowl and so then, in shame I recharged the magazine and handed the rifle to Dale.
For my defense I would like to point out that, I hit 3 or 4 others, including 1 that I knocked off his feet twice, only to miss an airborne 3rd shot at him, as after being knocked down once each with my first and second shots respectively, he simply got up and flew away.
I also knocked another one off his feet twice, only to watch him get up each time and run a ways then, as I had run the little rifle out of ammunition (with my last shot as described having been used to knock this bird off his feet that 2nd time), I was reloading the magazine when he suddenly got up and flew away as well.
However, Mr. Rimfire himself counted coup on them, bagging perhaps 6 or 8 of them, in about as many shots.
He told me that, while watching me shoot them in the body with less than desirable results, he only did head shots.
So, the need to brain the guinea fowls, pretty much defines them as "zombie chickens from hell" I think.

We returned to the fort and delivered these to the cooks, and they went right to work on them.
That evening, around the fire, we were served pounded, seasoned, dusted in flour and deep fried guinea fowl schnitzel starters, aka: appetizers.
It's difficult to describe in words how good they were so, suffice it to say that, the serving platter was picked over and made to be empty very fast.

SUPPER:
8:00 PM supper was announced.
We enjoyed "Zebra Bolognese", over tubular pasta, vegetable mash with broiled cheese crust topping, green salad and such likes.
Difficult to not over-eat when such savory food is piled high in front of you and everyone is having such a good time.

TO BE CONTINUED .....

IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG

Looks like a fun and productive Day 8!

Hmmm! Got to remember your remedy for gut issues(y)!

The little extra side trips just make this a very special trip. What a privilege. Must have been very fun.

(Note: Been out of circulation lately, as my young trophy wife had hip replacement surgery.
She's now in recovery and her sister is staying with her while I'm at work so, aside from the Surgeons converting her little by little, into a titanium fem-bot, my woman is mending up nicely.)
Anyway, back to the hunting report......

JOURNEY DOWN INTO THE KALAHARI DESERT:

DAY #9:

O'Dark Thirty, we were up and loading our things onto the vehicles for a road trip.
After spending some time in Windhoek, getting a punctured tire repaired and buying some carvings at an outdoor "trinket market", plus one or two other stops for one reason or another, we left town, back in route to our hunting plans.

Our primary objective was for me to hunt eland, on a 37,000 acre private Kalahari area land holding, called "Okambara" or interchangeably, "Elephant Camp".
This specific place exists primarily for tourists to sleep in semi-fancy conditions, dine on truly gourmet level foods / refreshments and be driven about by professional Tour Guides, while taking photos and video of wild animals, from elephant and giraffe, down to various medium and small African animals, as well as birds and lizards, etc.

To the Owner's / Manager's credit at Okambara, their non-hunting Guests are served game meat.
And as far as I could tell, no limp wristed excuses are offered to them about it.
There was a small group of German Photo Tourists staying there during our hunting foray.
More than one approached us at our table (which I quietly dubbed: "Table of Barbarians") and thanked us for the wonderful game meat they were able to enjoy, due to our efforts.
I felt a hint of emotion by their kindness but remained stalwart, however not easy that may have been under the circumstances.
Now at age 64, until that moment, I've never heard such kind words about our revered and ancient tradition of hunting, from any non-hunting tourist, until that moment.

IMG_1428.JPG
Photo 1. Danny with local biltong, from roadside "mom & pop store," on our way to hunting, down in The Kalahari.
At the turn-off from main highway, onto the side road to camp, Philip decided to stop, so we could buy some local biltong from the above pictured store.
Unfortunately, they were sold out of game meat (only half kidding, we offered to help them with that problem) so, we instead enjoyed their beef biltong.
Nonetheless, it was quite tasty, no worries.
By this time in our journey, we had begun seeing red sand which, is characteristic of the Kalahari.
Seems like I had read somewhere that, The Kalahari Desert is the longest continuous sand dune in Africa, (traversing 5 countries ?)
Whether or not that is so, this part of Africa nonetheless is interesting to me.

IMG_1421.JPG
Photo 2. Yours Truly, on front steps of: "Okambara", aka: "Elephant Lodge".
This photo does not come close to doing justice for the sheer size of this building, not to mention the fancy accommodations and gourmet level of food and decent wine selection enjoyed within.

IMG_1354.JPG
Photo 3. Philip glassing from "The Kalahari Escarpment" (perhaps not the real name of this geographic ridge but, that's what we called it).
Upon getting our kit and caboodle put away in each of our respective rooms, I rode in the bakkie with Philip and Adab, for about a half hour, up a 4 wheel drive track, eventually placing us onto the above pictured ridge / escarpment.
It seemed to go on forever and the view alone up there was worth visiting this ridge, even if we had not seen our intended specie.
Below us was the desert floor, mostly flat and covered with a sea of thorn bush, who's stunted canopy was perhaps 7 or 8 feet high.
It went from the base of our perch, to over the far horizon, giving it an "ocean surface" sort of look, until viewing it with binoculars.
We glassed for an hour or so.

Present were at least elephant, oryx and giraffe (which had to lower their heads for feeding on this comparatively stunted foliage).
Then lowe and behold, Adab spotted a half dozen or less eland, perhaps 1 or 1.5 kilometer away.
It took me awhile to find them in my binoculars, because A. I am a city slicker and B. there were no land marks to reference as he was telling us where to look.
Well anyway, at about the same moment I finally saw an eland move in the thick bush out there, Philip announced that we would go try to have a closer look at them.

Onto the vehicle and down from the escarpment we carefully rolled in low gear, like a giant tortoise, with frogs riding on it's back.
This part of Namibia is endowed with millions of sharp stones, ranging from about thumb size to brick size, sticking up everywhere, including where our tires needed to go.
Adab took it easy though and we eventually made it down to the bottom and a kilometer or so out onto the flats.
We had to bush whack a detour around some elephants and later we discovered that this apparently resulted in two punctured tires.
But at any rate, we eventually got back onto the "road" (two tire tracks through the bush) and after a few more kilometers, we reached a spot in what I figured was all the same featured wilderness, yet somehow Adab knew just where to stop and so we did, while Adab then climbed up to join Philip and myself.

Glassing for a minute or less, Adab made a hand gesture indicating we should walk, so all three of us quietly exited the bakkie.
As instructed to do, I then chambered a round slowly and as quietly as possible.
We walked slowly for only perhaps half a kilometer, if that when we encountered a small group of eland.
At first they spooked off but, walking fast on the quiet sandy ground, we soon caught up to them again.
One large bull glared at us down an elephant trail, through the otherwise very thick bush, at perhaps no more than 100 meters distant.
Adab quickly set the sticks and I put the .375 in place, moving the "Safety Catch" to its "Go" position.
All I could see of him was from about his shoulders / top of the brisket level up and he was squarely facing us, about exactly straight on.

I placed my crosswires into the juncture of his throat and brisket, exhale, press, Kaboomski ....Smack ! !
The bull staggered but then leaped out of view.
Adab and Philip both grinning, congratulated me on a shot well made.
However, I had lurched to my right at the moment of ignition, resulting in my 300 grain PMP round nose soft, fracturing the animal's left shoulder but sadly, continuing its path, outside the rib cage, ultimately exiting without damaging any vital organ.
We only discovered things had gone awry, when we reached the spot where he had received my bullet.
There was no dead eland, only small amounts of blood and hoof prints indicating which way the animals had fled.

So, off we go, Adab in the lead, followed by myself and Philip, walking fast at times and running at times (again, very thankful that I had put forth the effort to get in shape for this hunting trip).
More than once or twice we caught a glimpse of the wounded bull, as it bolted from cover, limping badly.
During three of these fleeting encounters, Adab would jump back to my left side, simultaneously gesturing for me to fire and I did so each time.
Once I cut the animal's left (already broken from my first shot) shoulder hide and muscle only.
Once was a clean miss as he lurched to his right just as I fired.
Once was a pretty much center hit ("Texas heart shot") almost in the exhaust pipe and he collapsed.
Shooting animals in the caboose that can weigh an honest ton is not cool, except when already wounded and fleeing, as this one was doing.
And, for such as this exact scenario here, I cast another vote for Ruark's declaration of, "always use enough gun".

I ran forward until parallel to where he lay on his belly and head up, sort of like The Egyptian Sphinx , except that his front legs were not outstretched like that iconic statue.
Upon reaching him, I fired one round through his shoulders, from the squarely broadside angle.
(The exit hole was as shown in photo #5, this page.

IMG_1362.JPG
Photo 4. My not so easy to bag, bull eland.

IMG_1383.JPG
Photo 5. Another angle of said eland.

I neglected to write any more notes for this day.
However, I do have the bullet from that rear end shot that put this animal down.
It had punched a hole through the pelvis and was recovered just under the spine, about half way through the length of the eland, and was a more or less perfect mushroom shape.
Likewise, there is no doubt supper was spectacular, but again, I neglected to write notes on it.

TO BE CONTINUED ....

Very nice Eland. They can be tough.... Congrats Bruce

DAY #10:

Breakfast at Elephant camp was buffet style but, it was also a white table cloth affair every time.
On the buffet tables there were large amounts of piping hot scrambled eggs, with bacon, ham and / or sausage, sliced cheeses, coarse grain hand made bread, sliced to fit in the toasters provided, butter or margarine, jams, jellies, marmalade, chilled fruit juice and cold cuts, such as salamis, ham, etc.
There was a basket of fresh fruit and the wait staff placed a pitcher of water on each table plus, an insulated carafe of hot coffee on each table as well.
For anyone who prefered to ruin their individual morning coffee ... there was cream and sugar as well - LOL.

Note: During my previous trips to Namibia and South Africa, the coffee was always Nescafe' brand instant powder that, you put as much or as little into your cup as you like and add hot water, then stir.
Not that I'm complaining, because I actually do somewhat like Nescafe' instant.
However, up at Farm Heusis and down here in Elephant Camp as well, the Cooks ("Chefs" is a more accurate descriptor) always made our properly steeped coffee from either fresh ground coffee beans or, at least if from factory grind, they were obviously using fresh every morning.
I have a "thing" about proper tasting coffee and both camps mentioned above, made it spot on for sure, brewed / steeped quite strong and always served blazing hot, smooth, never bitter.
As much as I do enjoy cold beer, I believe I could survive a hunting Safari without it (as we do here in Alaska when flown out in a limited weight capacity small plane) but, any hunting trip, Africa or otherwise, must absolutely have copious amounts of strong, hot coffee and that is that.

THE WATER HOLE STAKEOUT:
At this stage, Danny was to take certain meat animals for Okamabara's larder and I was interested in taking an impala and / or a 2nd bull eland.
Dale was strictly interested in photography during our Kalahari visit.

After breakfast, Danny, Dale and myself accompanied Adab to a water hole that, had a blind already in place, made of stout tree branches (small logs actually), loosely stacked into a more or less square shape.
Unfortunately, it was too low to stand in without exposing one's upper torso.
But, as long as everyone stayed seated on the ground, it was an effective hunter's lair.
We all appreciated the fact that there were enough live thorn tree branches just above us to provide plenty of shade, because to get there required being dropped off by vehicle and then walking a half kilometer or more, through the bush, under a hot African sun.
(I'm pretty sure it is an entirely different ball of fire than the wimpy thing that half-heartedly shows itself over Alaska, once or twice every now and then).

IMG_1392.JPG

Photo #1. Left is Dale and to your right is Danny.
We had just arrived and were looking over the layout of our blind, during mid day.

IMG_1391.JPG
Photo #2. Danny in our blind, posing beside "The Shrine of The Black Wildebeest Skull".

IMG_1390.JPG
Photo #3. Dale mulling over the options for placing his camera in the blind.

For our time spent that morning, this water hole was visited by baboons, warthogs, guinea fowl and francoln.
Trivia Moment: Africa's francoln fowl make pretty much exactly the same vocal call to each other as Alaska / Canada ptarmigan do.
No target species showed up so, we left at mid-day.

LUNCH:
A delicious / plentiful lunch was enjoyed at the lodge and sometime afterward, eventually I climbed up onto the bakkie for a second try at the same water hole with Adab.
Eric drove us to the drop off place.
Danny and Dale decided to not go along this time.

ANOTHER STAKEOUT:
Arriving mid-afternoon, Adab and I settled in to wait quietly.
Only the usual suspects showed up again, but with also one jackal dropping in for a drink.
No target species showed themselves until ....
At about 30 minutes after sunset, Adab left to hike out and fetch the bakkie.
Then 15 or 20 minutes later, in the darkness, I heard the sound of hooves on rocky ground, over my right shoulder.
Next, three eland cautiously appeared, in single file.
Their hard to see silhouettes indicated that these animals necks were thin and their horns likewise thin.
In other words, these characteristics indicated there was no "shooter bull" among them.
So, in my novice opinion they were either young bulls or, perhaps mature cows.
Not that it mattered, because Client etiquette (no doubt local laws as well) includes not shooting game animals unless a PH is present.
After awhile, the bakkie arrived and spooked these eland away but, at least they did have their drink of water before this happened.

SUPPER:
Another gourmet delight, game fillets (impala I think), all the trimmings.
Each evening, just before dinner commenced, one of the Chefs would address everyone, first in German and then in English, describing the evening's board of fare, (nice touch) always ending with one version or more of; "buon appetit".
Before the food, a bottle of "Fat Bastard" pinotage red wine from Capetown made it around our table, then during our meal, a bottle of same label but this one was a cabernet sauvignon, also made it around our table of barbarians, both excellent wines, with the wonderfully prepared wild game dinner.

TO BE CONTINUED ....

Nice Eland!! (y)

I've heard that dogs like that can only be killed by a silver bullet or, by drowning in water that's been blessed by a Priest but, only a Priest who has not buggered a child (or even thought about it while drinking heavily).

I can not help but to brag about my Ol’ Man’s shooting skills. No animals on the other end of your scope have chance!

Catching up on your wonderful report VD (stupid work keeps getting in the way, plus it's deer season now). Congrats on what was a wonderful trip so far! I look forward to hearing the rest.

Actually, I don't know if I should congratulate you on the great animals taken, or that you figured out how to post pictures! :D

Glad to hear a good time was had by all (also enjoyed @DoubleLunger's account), and also that your lovely bride is on the mend!

Very nice Eland! Congrats!

DAY #11:

We ate one more fit-for-a-king breakfast in Elephant Camp's very fine dining room, then packed up our things, said our good-bye's, our thank-you's and headed back up toward the Highlands.
This particular day, as well as the next two (Days #12 and #13), have sort of melted together, due to the fact that I waxed too lazy to write down notes on these specific days.
However, these days included some shooting for the Farm Heusis kitchen, for hooved undulates on either day #11 or day #12 or both days and on Day #13 specifically, I used Philip's .22 rifle to bag some geese and guinea fowl as well (refer to photos here or elsewhere in my numerous rants De La Namibia).

In the USA, taking of grouse by means of a rifle is lawful in some places and not lawful in others but nation wide, our Federal Laws strictly forbid the taking of waterfowl with a rifle (or handgun for that matter).
Evidently, such method of take is perfectly legal in Namibia and I counted coup on Egyptian geese with that little .22 rimfire.
I had climbed up and over an earthen dam, where I could see the top of a camelthorn tree sticking above said dam.
It was growing between the top of the dam and the water, only about 3 or 4 meters up from the water's edge.
Keeping this thick camelthorn tree between myself and the lake which, was sporting a dozen or so geese, within about 20 to 30 meters of my tree, plus perhaps a couple dozen red billed ducks as well, I slowly eased into position.
Using a low and thorny tree branch as my rifle rest, I chambered a round and began firing into a specific goose here and a specific goose there.
My instructions were to avoid shooting the ducks and, to shoot only the geese and / or guinea fowl near this dam.

On my first shot, the ducks flew away but surprisingly, the geese seemed either unconcerned or unaware that anything was wrong, even though a shot had just rang out, leaving one of their brethren all askew, head dangling under water, wings outstretched and generally twitching his last moves.
I continued in this mode, until the point where I had 4 very dead geese floating about, like misshapen toy boats out there.
And, I would happily have continued my "shopping spree", but for the fact that what was left of them finally realized that, there really may have been a "second gunman on the grassy knoll" after all and now, about 50 some years later, he's in Namibia, with a .22 this time, instead of a 6.5 Carcano.
They flew away, but returned to the far side of the water (100 to 150 meters across), and landed safely, far enough away on the mud flat out there.

I need to add that only one in four of my geese croaked with a single shot from me.
The other three I bagged required at least two shots apiece and one in particular (the last one I got) required four shots to finish him.
While shooting these and guinea fowl alike, I longed for my little Brno Model 465 (Double Square Bridge / miniature Mauser) .22 Hornet, as both bird species proved to be very "impact resistant".
I felt that, if I'd had my Hornet they would have been laughing out the other side of their sarcastic little beaks.
Typical "snooty American", presuming it's not the man running the equipment that needs improvement, it's the equipment itself that is to blame, aka: "The Orvis Syndrome" -LOL.

(Young Marius had been waiting back at the vehicle and when hailed, he climbed over the dam and volunteered to swim out to fetch my geese so, on my departure day from Farm Heusis, I looked him up and handed him some extra ca$h-ola, definitely well deserved.)

IMG_1296.JPG
Photo #1. Guinea fowl making their getaway.

IMG_1277.JPG
Photo #2. Rain squall approaching.

IMG_1489.JPG
Photo #3. Waterhole, where geese and guinea fowl were brought to hand, one day with the .22 rifle and one day with 12 bore. shotgun.

IMG_1468.JPG
Photo #4. Danny and myself with a blou wildebees hen that I shot for the kitchen.

IMG_1442.JPG
Photo #5. Danny with a gemsbok he was asked to bag for the kitchen.

IMG_1441.JPG
Photo #6. Adab congratulating Danny for another stalk well done and another shot well placed, as usual.

DAYS #11 and #12:

As mentioned, I neglected to write notes for these days so, details are now sketchy.
That being said, during these final days, Danny and myself had both run out of "trophy fee money" so, we were asked to shoot some meat animals.
NOTE: Farm Heusis provides a lot of meat for indigenous people, their employees as well as others living within an hour or so drive of the house and therefore, meat (and guts) from animals being taken on Khomas Hochland Conservancy are never wasted.

ORYX:
Danny and myself rolled out, with someone driving the bakkie (probably Eric ?) and Adab as our shared, "Culling PH".
At some point, Adab spotted an oryx and instructed our driver to go another half kilometer or so, to the bottom of a wide, shallow valley.
There we left our driver and vehicle, as we walked quietly toward the other side of this valley where, the oryx was last seen.
Adab was in the lead, then Danny, followed by myself.
Eventually, the two of them drew near enough to the oryx for a shot and Adab set the sticks for Danny.
By this time, I had lagged 15 or so meters behind, so as to not add one more set of moving feet, for our quarry to detect during the final approach.
Anyway, Danny shot this one properly (on the shoulder I think), as it then hopped around in a tiny half circle and fell very dead, within only one or two seconds of receiving the bullet.

My son likes to say that his old man is a good shot.
Truth of the matter is, I believe that if we had a bit of a rifle range, friendly shoot-off, he'd be declared the better of us.
Definitely so, no question about it if only iron sights were involved / no magnifying optics / scopes, etc.

WILDEBEEST COW:
After we got the vehicle up to the oryx and loaded it in, we left the area and returned to the search for meat animals.
Eventually, Adab or Danny (not sure which any more) spotted some blue wildebeest a half kilometer or so, up a hill from the track we had been slowly travelling along.
Upon stopping and glassing them for a few seconds, Adab motioned for us to go on foot with him, we did.
We had plenty of bush to conceal our approach, but I'm positive these animals had seen us stop to glass them so no doubt, they knew we were there and up to no good.
Later, I think Adab told us the shot was about 120 meters.
But anyway, the three of us had walked somewhat to the left of these animals, to avoid them smelling us, as we climbed the not very steep hill.
This put us on a spot equal to theirs in elevation, but with a small depression between us when Adab set the sticks and indicated which one to shoot (a mature cow, about perfectly quartering to us).
By then, I had chambered a round and laid the .375 onto the sticks, "safety catch" moved to the "go position", crosswires on the juncture at neck and shoulder of the one indicated, exhale, press, BOOM.
She spun 180 degrees, kicked her hind legs once and bolted down the opposite side of the hill, with the herd, away from us.

We hot-footed it down through the little depression and up again, arriving at the spot where the target animal had been.
There was a long spurt of very red blood on the ground, then nothing for about 20 or more feet, then another similar streak, indicating she was running downhill, as we figured.
We traversed another small depression and then up the other side, seeing these same blood spurts, always about 20 feet apart.
After following this obvious spoor (Ray Charles could have followed it) only about 200 meters total, we found her very dead, behind one of those "stegosaurus scale" looking flat rocks that, stick up from the earth in parts of The Highlands there.
My bullet had struck her exactly where I had intended and exited the opposite side, just before the last rib.
The exit hole was quite small, typical of the 300 grain PMP brand round nosers I had been using on some other animals.
The long streaks of blood had evidently been emitted from the entrance hole, each time the heart would contract.

We helped load he into the bakkie, good company for Danny's oryx and then back to camp.
The great pleasure of hunting with my son cannot be done full justice with only words.
The photos I have from this hunting trip will be my treasure.

TO BE CONTINUED ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you