NAMIBIA: Namibia's "Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris"

DAY #3:

Breakfast at 6:15 AM sharp, including the usual morning board of fare.
Note: Not only was each breakfast quite good, in a general sort of way but likewise, our Cook always made the coffee thick and strong, much to everyone's delight.

6:45 AM, I'm rolling off in the hunting vehicle, with Eric and Adab, to see what we can get into.
9:00 AM, hartebeest seen about 6 or 700 meters from our vehicle and a jackal seen sniffing around up in the same canyon, perhaps only 500 meters from our vehicle.
We climb down and begin walking.
Of course, the jackal bolts inspiring all the hartebeest to wander up and over the far skyline.
Undaunted, old Adab presses upward and onward, flipping a little dust with the toe of his hunting shoe now and then, to confirm the very slight "cross wind" (if you want to call less than one MPH "wind").

Up and over we go but, no animals in sight.
Again glad that I had walked quite a bit prior to this hunting trip, I was able to keep up with Adab and Eric (both of which looked as if they were made entirely out of cables and leather).
This place was steep.
Down the other side we walked but, at the bottom, there was spoor indicating our rooi haired antelopes had turned sharply left and were more or less following the dry, sandy creek bed.
Sadly, this meant walking uphill again, as we entered another drainage, following the hartebeest tracks.
But, at least the air direction was now moving directly to our faces, what little air motion there was anyway.

RED HARTEBEEST:
Eventually, this dry creek played out as we reached the top of another ridge.
(Adab and Eric looked as fresh as a couple of daises but I probably looked like the first 64 year old man to run a marathon on the surface of the Sun).
Cautiously we descended, from bush to tree to bush, stopping now and then to glass a bit.
About one third of the way to the bottom, we were glassing over the landscape, straight across from us when suddenly, a single, hartebeest bull walked out of the thorns and into the sunlight, a little higher up in elevation from our level.
Evidently Adab could instantly see it was worth taking, as he did not speak but simply set the sticks in one fluid motion.
I chambered a round as carefully and quietly as possible, just as Adab was taking a half step from the sticks and I settled the rifle in.

My quarry stood only slightly quartering to me, almost broadside (not generally my luck with animals I've hunted) at about 230 meters and I shot him through the on-side shoulder.
He dropped to the shot and never got up.
My 270 grainer had broken the right shoulder and ranging upward, it exited high, just behind the left shoulder.
I presume that since he dropped instantly that, either a bone fragment or perhaps a bullet fragment had impacted the spine.
The exit hole was about the size of a USA nickel.

I waited by the animal while the fellers went to fetch our truck.
Evidently, we had walked up and down the hills in a semi-circle, as they came grinding along through the bush in "granny gear", within only about an hour.

LUNCH:
Meanwhile back at the fort, we were served a fine lunch of unknown game cutlets that, had been pounded, seasoned and flash-fried into schnitzel, accompanied by peppery brown gravy, seasoned rice and green salad, etc., etc.

Short Siesta then,

3:00 PM - Coffee and cookies, then off hunting again.

VLAAKVARK:
4:00 PM, while driving across a very flat valley floor, Adab pointed out a small dark dot moving across a grassy area, about one kilometer away, toward a meandering tree line (pretty much dry creek bed) and said,....."war-tog" as he simultaneously tapped the truck roof so Eric would stop.
Only brief glassing and Piggy Wiggy was declared a large boar.
Off Adab and myself went on foot but this time, we had to pass through a 3 wire cattle fence that seemed to go on forever, with no gate in sight.
Upon clearing it, Adab motioned for me to chamber a round, and so I did.
Then, after about half a kilometer or so, we reached a large "oxbow" curve in the almost entirely dry creek and slowed our pace to have a look.
Nothing yet so, we pressed on, but now following the snake like turns of the generally dry creek's bank.
Our bank was a little higher than the opposite one and the sandy bed varied from about 5 meters across in the narrows to about 15 meters across in the widest places, cut bank to cut bank.
Very cautiously and quietly we sneaked along, stopping our snails pace frequently, to silently and thoroughly scrutinize every bush and sizable rock (coincidently this method is often how we hunt blacktail deer here in Alaska, and I love it).

After only about 15 or 20 minutes of this careful sneaking along the dry creek, we spied an old tusker.
He was busy grubbing up on some grass, straight across from us and out a little ways beyond the creek itself.
Adab set the sticks, again without speaking and I shot this boar on the shoulder.
Death was instant, as though he had been shot through the brain stem.
Luck had been with me again, as he stood broadside, at about 40 meters, apparently unaware of our presence, until the last moment (his head popped up and he quit chewing for a split second, just prior to impact).
The 270 grain round nose exited his far shoulder either in multiple pieces or, in one piece but, with accompanying bone fragments as additional projectiles.
The largest exit hole was only about the size of a USA dime but, not totally round so, it is hard to say if that largest hole was from the whole bullet or, a fragment of same or, a bone chip.
At only about 40 or 50 paces, I would not be at all surprised if the bullet had shattered against one or both shoulder bones, and exited in pieces.
Whatever the case may be, the result was lightening fast, no tracking or thrashing about, just bangdead.
With his knife, Adab gutted our prize and carried it about 3/4 of a kilometer back to the fence and dropped it over.
Eric pulled up in the truck about then and they loaded this pig into the truck bed, before we rolled back to camp, now quite a few kilometers away.

SUPPER:
After sundowners around the evening fire, (Dale reports a bad day for him shooting, couldn't hit the ground with his hat) supper was served about 7-something to 8:00 PMish.
Spaghetti Bolognese, garlic bread, braised carrots, green salad with Italian seasoned vinaigrette dressing.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
Your passion for the hunt is so apparent in your prose:) I love it, thanks!(y)

Can't wait to see the picture of the warthog!

I'm enjoying your report. Always enjoy your writing style. Sounds like some great hunting opportunities. Looking forward to pics. Bruce

Can't wait to see the picture of the warthog!

Hope to have piggy's photo showing sometime today, as well as the hartebeest, but not sure yet.
He's not a whale in inches of ivory but as usual that is not what makes my heart go pitter-patter anyway.
The hunt itself, especially stalking up to close encounters with game animals is what makes my blood run hot and cold.
He was quite old, judging by the condition of his skin and the size of his facial "warts".
My son posts our pictures but, is a Paramedic in one of the busiest cities in the US.
So, sometimes he has to wait until he gets home and therefore can't always post them every day.

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_3562.JPG

Nice scope mark. Glad to know it doesn't just happen to me.
I've always shot Leupold scopes which are sharp as hell. Tried a Nikon on my 300WSM and found it has a rubber ring on the eyepiece. Saves me some blood when I get a little excited and forget my eye relief.

Great report. I too enjoy your descriptive phrases. That meat processing room is the most modern I have seen. Electric hoist even.

Your passion for the hunt is so apparent in your prose:) I love it, thanks!(y)

Thanks for that Pheroze.
Likewise, I do very much always enjoy reading your posts as well.

Nice scope mark. Glad to know it doesn't just happen to me.
I've always shot Leupold scopes which are sharp as hell. Tried a Nikon on my 300WSM and found it has a rubber ring on the eyepiece. Saves me some blood when I get a little excited and forget my eye relief.

Hi again MAdcox,

Totally agree with you that Leupold scopes must be made from recycled razor blades, as I have owned a pile of them and currently have 3 or 4 of same.
Even though my wound pictured above was totally my fault, nobody else's (I really mash my face down hard on the comb and also obviously too far forward on rifles) ......AND, this facial wound is doubtless an esthetic improvement for me nonetheless, it is one reason that I do not favor high magnification scopes on big game rifles.
Instead, preferring simple 4 power glass on most big game calibers that are suited to scopes in the first place.
(In all fairness to the scope on the rifle I rented, I believe I am the only client to have smacked themselves with it so, I repeat that I would totally agree with anyone who concludes it was the equipment operator to blame, and not the equipment itself.)

I once owned a Ruger M77 in .270 caliber that, I had placed a Leupold 6x scope on and it was a fine outfit for shooting caribou on the open tundra and our little blacktail deer, up above timberline, with 130 grain spitzers, where shots can be 400 yards on any given day.
But for my sporting goods dollar, the larger magnification scopes are best on non-kickers, such as center-fire .22's, 6mm, .25-06 and the like.
Also, the main reason I do not favor variable power scopes is that, I could be the poster child for ADHD, as I am "Mr. Distractible" and so cannot be relied upon to always turn a variable power scope down low, prior to entering thick bush.

That being said, many variable power scopes seem to have a bit less eye relief than the simple 4x ones that I prefer.
I also have a Leupold 3x that I bought from fellow member here, "Mekaniks" that I hope to put on a big game rifle one day (it has a very generous eye relief, as Leupold supposedly designed it strictly with big game hunting in mind to begin with).
The 4x on my Brno .375 is a no longer made Zeiss model that, not only has generous eye relief but also, sports a rubber "eyebrow saver" / soft ring around the rear bell.
I've never bumped my face with it (or any other rifle / scope combination until my most recent safari, that's being posted on currently) but I like the rubber ring that's an integral piece, on the specific part pointed toward my face.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah, such are the non-conforming rants of an elderly rifle nut.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Great report. I too enjoy your descriptive phrases. That meat processing room is the most modern I have seen. Electric hoist even.

Thanks Neale,

Yes, that meat processing facility is a very well thought out one.
Sure contrasts with the typical Africa style "skinning shed", with few to no amenities.
It included, ceramic tile walls and floor, a large central floor drain, hose fittings for wash-downs, magnetic knife racks up high so children can't reach them, large stainless steel sinks, a walk-in cool room to hang meat in for "mellowing up" before final butchering and probably a few other handy features that I have forgotten now.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I'm enjoying your report. Always enjoy your writing style. Sounds like some great hunting opportunities. Looking forward to pics. Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

Like so many others here within the world's greatest forum, I also thoroughly enjoy your postings as well.

Cheers,
Paul.

shoot, get too it man!

i have been pissing my day away, checking on the forum waiting for the next update of "velodogs excellent adventure!!"

re scopes: my most recent leopold purchase a 2-7 vxr (has a red dot on crosshair which i really like)
has a rubber eyepiece on it. that said, i have destroyed it with the custom scope/action cover i used on the rifle i had it mounted on last year and need to get a replacement eyepiece cover.

also, i just bought a trijicon 1-6x to put on my 450-400 or 9.3x74r for the buffalo hunt next year.

Don't be too hard on yourself, that one nice warthog!

Great read!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you