My son drew a New Mexico Oryx tag - now what?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
As Murphy's law has it, I put in a fortune trying to draw a tag for literally anything in New Mexico and failed completely. My son (He's eight and half) didn't draw a deer or antelope either...but he somehow persuaded me to put in for an Oryx tag which I did figuring why not, the draw is cheap for him and the odds are 4 tags issued for 1600 applications, 1:400 odds.

The kid draws the tag. New Mexico. Anywhere in the state outside of WSMR. July 1-31.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make a go of this? I've spoken to game wardens and got a bit of info, basically that I want to be West of the WSM on the North side, but I'm clueless.

Thanks for any words of advice.

Sidebar question: I think he needs better ammo. I have 140gr core-lokt 7x64 ammo for his gun, but not sure its enough for Oryx. Nothing else is manufactured in the States. Do I need a 140gr barnes TTSX? Will a 150gr barnes TTSX (biggest) work in a standard twist rate?

Wow! What a luck of the draw for an 8 year old. Contact @Bullthrower338, he has hunted New Mexic0 a lot. And good luck!

1st thing is to get a BLM and state lands map for that area and find where you can hunt without being on private property. The last year we lived in New Mexico my wife drew the once in a lifetime hunt on WSMR. (Wow that was 26 years ago)!!! She used a Remington 280 with 150 gr Nosler partitions. Did the job!! Take good glass and get up high and glass!

My guess is that you will be contacted by several guide services in NM offering their assistance for a fee in the near future. That seems to be the case when limited tags are drawn for hunts such as these. Never been lucky enough to draw this tag, best of luck to the young man!

My guess is that you will be contacted by several guide services in NM offering their assistance for a fee in the near future. That seems to be the case when limited tags are drawn for hunts such as these. Never been lucky enough to draw this tag, best of luck to the young man!

And I can appreciate their services, but an 8.5 year old spent his life savings (and my money too) on what ended up being a $1600 tag. With gas, food, lodging, and time off of work, I don’t think we’ll be able to hire a guide as they are quite expensive. I think we’ll be DIY. Maybe semi-guided if we can get some instruction and “phone a friend” for a fee to help us dial in the hunt each day.

I know it can be expensive, but you need an outfitter/guide who specializes in these hunts. The odds of grabbing a map, gps, and young son and hoping to link up with an oryx are not real good.

I know it can be expensive, but you need an outfitter/guide who specializes in these hunts. The odds of grabbing a map, gps, and young son and hoping to link up with an oryx are not real good.

Can’t “uncle redleg” phone it in to help? ;)

Agreed that they can be expensive and wasn't advocating that you guys use a guide service, that's a personal decision for you to make. Maybe you can dig up some information on some sort of "trespass fee" type of access on ground the holds decent numbers of oryx. I wish I could be more help but I don't have any experience hunting in NM. Whatever you wind up doing, I'm sure we'd all love to see your son be safe and successful!

I have harvested 3 NM oryx. The guy I would use is Mark Haynes he owns Ironsight Outfitters out of Hobbs NM. Last time I checked he had harvested I believe 290 some, more than any other outfitter. He has access to one of 3 ranches that boarder the missile range. He is the only outfitter for that ranch. The neat thing about drawing a tag is you could hunt that ranch and the public that is landlocked by that ranch. If you need any more info on it let me know. Best of luck

Can’t “uncle redleg” phone it in to help? ;)
I have harvested 3 NM oryx. The guy I would use is Mark Haynes he owns Ironsight Outfitters out of Hobbs NM. Last time I checked he had harvested I believe 290 some, more than any other outfitter. He has access to one of 3 ranches that boarder the missile range. He is the only outfitter for that ranch. The neat thing about drawing a tag is you could hunt that ranch and the public that is landlocked by that ranch. If you need any more info on it let me know. Best of luck
My point exactly.

@buckmarkhunter has provided the critical link were I trying to get a very young hunter a real chance at an oryx.

Talk to the outfitter. Explain your son and his age. He may give you a deal. This could turn out to be either a grand hunt (costing you), or a dud for your son not even seeing an oryx. JMO
Best of luck in your decision! I know it’s a tough one to make.

That’s why I never put in for oryx in New Mexico. Great meat, quite excellent, will fill the freezer for a while. But I’d rather find an affordable airline ticket to Namibia to hunt them. By the time you add gas, vehicle, food and possible guide...,you are better off hunting them in Africa.

Been calling outfitters, some posted here. Prices of $1500-$2500 for 3 days of guiding.

Hmm, private land tag hunts are guaranteed issue tags with outfitter at $5000-$6000, whereas drawing a miracle tag costs $1700 and then you need a $2500 guide, lodging, meals? Sounds like our good luck didn’t save much money?

Shoulda flown to Africa to hunt oryx for these prices! lol.

Still working on it. Thanks for all the inputs and advice.

Public land Oryx is not such an unattainable feat. Let’s see how this plays out.

With those kind off odds you just may be better off spending the money and not lose out possibly for your sons memories of what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Many years ago I drew an Ibex tag in New Mexico. Talk about luck! Once in a lifetime tag.

Been calling outfitters, some posted here. Prices of $1500-$2500 for 3 days of guiding.

Hmm, private land tag hunts are guaranteed issue tags with outfitter at $5000-$6000, whereas drawing a miracle tag costs $1700 and then you need a $2500 guide, lodging, meals? Sounds like our good luck didn’t save much money?

Shoulda flown to Africa to hunt oryx for these prices! lol.

Still working on it. Thanks for all the inputs and advice.

I understand what you mean 100%!

@rookhawk I feel your pain my 8.5 year old son wants to come with me to Argentina next March on my Red Stag hunt with MG Hunting.

Best of luck in NM.

My parents have a place that boarders WSMR, it is on the NE side of the range. One of the issues you are going to have is getting to BLM land, there is a decent portion of it that is mostly blocked by private land. I have seen a couple Oryx there over the years, but they are by no means prevalent. I will also say, a July hunt in that valley is going to be a hot one, expect daytime highs of over a 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross