My second rifle choice

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a 470 double and am contemplating my next rifle preferably a bolt gun. I plan to use this across all continents including N America. Looking for something in smaller caliber than the .40. I have been looking closely at the ubiquitous 375 H&H, 9.3X62, 9.3X74 and so on. Should be convenient to carry and fun to shoot and more importantly ammunition readily available, including reloading stuff.

Or should I go for a 375 double as a small brother..

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you! Please clarify a good 30.06, are you referring to particular brand?

While you have the DG side of things covered and you mentioned hunting in North America I'd look into one of the .30 caliber magnums such as the 300 Win mag. I like the .340 Weatherby mag but you also said ammo availability. A 300 Win mag would fit the bill here.

Everyone should have a .375 whether it be the venerable H&H version or the Ruger, it does not matter. PG and DG covered. Makes a perfect backup for DG to your .470 and much better choice for PG beyond 100 yards.

A good bolt action 30'06 will handle most hunting other than heavy dangerous game. Ammunition will be very easy to find
There are several good choices depending on your budget. In my opinion it is hard to beat a M70 Winchester or anything built on a good Mauser action such as an older CZ 550 or an older Browning Safari Grade rifle which is built on the FN Supreme action. A Ruger Hawkeye is a less expensive choice and there are many more expensive choices.

If you are looking for a general purpose caliber for the remainder of the world - pronghorn to ibex to plains game then a double of any sort is mildly ridiculous and almost anything heavier than a .300 is a liability. I would get a quality bolt action in .300 Win Mag (or its equivalent) and never look back.

Thank you! Please clarify a good 30.06, are you referring to particular brand?
Joker has a were but opinions may vary on goo quality but there would be plenty of Good Quality brands or models.
Personal preference will play a part as will the ergonomics of fit for you .
There are good quality factory production rifles and better custom models old and new along with some high end brands.

Seeing as you have the .40+ covered, the .30 caliber would be a great option for you. 308WIN, 30-06 or 300WM (my personal favorite) are excellent choices however any of the the other .30's will do as well.

For a traveling hunter, I'd keep it to the more common calibers.

If you are looking for a general purpose caliber for the remainder of the world - pronghorn to ibex to plains game then a double of any sort is mildly ridiculous and almost anything heavier than a .300 is a liability. I would get a quality bolt action in .300 Win Mag (or its equivalent) and never look back.
Yes Redleg that my goal, a general purpose rifle that I can use everywhere else specially N America and also for Plain games in Africa with ammo easily available and components for reloading. Question - Is this good enuff for a Kudu/Grizzly/Large moose?

Joker has a were but opinions may vary on goo quality but there would be plenty of Good Quality brands or models.
Personal preference will play a part as will the ergonomics of fit for you .
There are good quality factory production rifles and better custom models old and new along with some high end brands.
Agree, price range is huge as well with around 20K for a Rigby highland stalker and around 1.5 K for other brands

Yes, I have a few Tikka rifles some cost 1k second hand. All decent in my view.

I didn't set out to buy multiple Tikka but as things went different needs and different options were bought.

I would like to have something like a Rigby or any nice rifle for that matter but I would be hesitant to hunt with a 20k rifle. Buying it is one thing risking it or damaging it is another. I've come to terms with the fact I'm not a collector.

A Tikka with a decent scope will be a decent outfit and capable.

Many here like their straight pull Blasers. I think some of those people are frequent flyers so the multi calibre capability in one package appeals to them.

For a great rifle that won't break the bank look at the Weatherby Vanguard line. They are made by Howa and are available in most standard and in a few Weatherby calibers.

The one that I have is more accurate than I can usually shoot

Yes Redleg that my goal, a general purpose rifle that I can use everywhere else specially N America and also for Plain games in Africa with ammo easily available and components for reloading. Question - Is this good enuff for a Kudu/Grizzly/Large moose?
Maybe not for grizzly, though many have been taken with a 200 gr bullet from a .300. I would feel better with a .338 or 9.3. However those or somewhat overkill for a pronghorn, whitetail or mule deer.

A 340 wby is the best choice. Brass purchase is one time affair. Get few hundred pieces of brass when you get your rifle. .Sinc you reload few hundred pices of brass will last you for a very long time. 338 Bullets are available in the range of 165gr to 300 gr's. There is no game you can not take with it near or far. In a pinch will take any DG. WIITH PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT. READ ABOUT IT ON THE NET.
KRISH

Yes I have several medium bor from 270 to 358's
I always go to 340 wby. Because I can count on it for any game NA east to west, north to south with out any slightest doubt in my mind. It can do anything a 375 0r 270 can do but better where it is legal.
Krish

My preference for a second rifle would be a 338 Win Mag. there are a few others that would be good such as the 358 Norma Mag, but ammo can be a problem.

9.3x62. Classic caliber, very mild to shoot, buffalo capable if necessary, excellent all around caliber. The exact same thing can be said about 9.3x74R. They are ballistic twins. One is for magazine rifles and the other for double/single rifles.

or

300H&H. Classic caliber, excellent for everything smaller than a buffalo or big bear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraAllwoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.