Muzzle Brake Use

worth1

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Houston Safari Club
I did a search and didn’t see anything pop up so if this has been discussed previously, let me know.

In regards to rifles for Africa, what is the acceptance of muzzle breaks for use when hunting?

I know this can be a preference item and guides here in the states have varying opinions as well.

not good. There you have the answer

Many threads on this. General consensus is if you must you must, just be sure and let all around you know to plug their ears. Most guys hate the damn things, as do I.
They seem to be the latest and greatest gizmo on the firing line these days for the would be mighty Nimrod that doesn't know any better. The rifle range is the worst place to be when some clown is shooting a braked rifle, just awful.

My .300 Wby has a brake, but my .375 H&H and my .458 Lott do not, all Blaser R8 barrels. The Wby brake was added at purchase because of experience with a light weight synthetic stocked rifle in .300 Wby that kicked viciously hard due to its low weight. The .375 H&H is a standard barrel on a standard Blaser stock and recoil is not bad. The the 458 Lott is a Safari profile barrel on a Safari Stock with a steel receiver and a kickstop. Recoil is manageable. The recoil from these larger calibers has become more and more tolerable the more I shoot, however, I experience no recoil, or at least do not notice it, when shooting at an animal. If one must use a break, I suggest using it while sighting in and practicing at the range (hopefully when the range is vacant or relatively so) and remove it while hunting as it will save your PHs hearing and you won't feel the recoil anyway.

Lots of people seem very negative on muzzle brakes. I understand that, but mine has allowed me to keep hunting. I was suffering from a torn retina. Scary thing if you have never had it. The Dr said if it severs completely, I would have 24 hours to get it reattached or I would go permanently blind.
I could just see myself in a foreign land in the bush going blind. I got a muzzle brake.
I have used it now in Africa and made my PH and trackers aware of it. They usually plugged their ears before I fired. If anyone was at the range when I was there, I let them know as well.
Things seem to be improving now, so I have purchased a second 375 H&H with no brake. I have been shooting it occasionally and am gaining confidence that I will not tear the retina again. It will probably be going with me the next time I take a rifle to Africa.

You have to do what you have to do for yourself, not for everyone else. If you need one, get it . Just let those around you be aware. JMO

I have a broken collar bone that will never heal, because of my osteomyelitis no Dr. will attempt a surgical repair. My 35 Whelen is a bit lighter than others that I own and I'm probably stepping on the load a little bit so I put a muzzle break on it. In Africa I explained the reasons for my having one and the PHs and trackers obliged / accommodated me. On the range everyone is wearing hearing protection anyway so it is a moot issue.

deadhorse.gif

There are two schools of thought on brakes. :whistle:

1. If you need one, you're a pansy. :cry:

2. If they bother you, you're a pansy. :cry:

:LOL:

Last edited:
Lots of people seem very negative on muzzle brakes. I understand that, but mine has allowed me to keep hunting. I was suffering from a torn retina. Scary thing if you have never had it. The Dr said if it severs completely, I would have 24 hours to get it reattached or I would go permanently blind.
I could just see myself in a foreign land in the bush going blind. I got a muzzle brake.
JMO

I'm told that the 50 BMG has lost some of its luster among snipers for that basic reason - and that a brake can give away their position by kicking up dust when shooting prone. It's all second hand info, but it makes sense to me.

I have never hunted DG. Why is a break a definite no go? Understand PG can be a preference item.

I have never hunted DG. Why is a break a definite no go? Understand PG can be a preference item.

Because your PH is often beside you backing you up. One, it can be painful and damaging to his hearing, two, it can put him out of action when you need him the most.

Many threads on this. General consensus is if you must you must, just be sure and let all around you know to plug their ears. Most guys hate the damn things, as do I.
They seem to be the latest and greatest gizmo on the firing line these days for the would be mighty Nimrod that doesn't know any better. The rifle range is the worst place to be when some clown is shooting a braked rifle, just awful.

If go to the range and I see a rifle with a brake I go to another lane or just leave. They are obnoxious and still dangerously loud, even with hearing protection. Either get a smaller caliber or spend the time and $ and get a suppressor (if it's legal in your state)

Last edited:
I have a broken collar bone that will never heal, because of my osteomyelitis no Dr. will attempt a surgical repair. My 35 Whelen is a bit lighter than others that I own and I'm probably stepping on the load a little bit so I put a muzzle break on it. In Africa I explained the reasons for my having one and the PHs and trackers obliged / accommodated me. On the range everyone is wearing hearing protection anyway so it is a moot issue.
That is a different scenario than most. I don't think anyone would begrudge the use of a BRAKE;), when there is an injury involved(y). But for most users its largely a matter of ignorance:( I think. While I am glad to see lots of new shooters, many arrive at the range with BRAKES;) on their rifles, and have no idea the amount of extra blast and noise:eek: the things produce and its not just about wearing hearing protection. I use plugs and muffs whenever I shoot anything. When you have the open lid on a steel tool box get blown closed by one, you know the amount of blast required to do that is considerable:eek: when the muzzle BRAKE ;)was 5 feet away!:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,