Question for Professional Hunters or experienced hunters of Africa

B.Shannon

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
North American Hunting Club Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
United States; OH, MI, TN
You can chuckle now for the information I read this from was from Wiki. But it brought up a point I would not have thought about, and I wonder if it is correct. I did a search on here for muzzal breaks, but no threads came up. So forgive me if this has already been covered.

Can you use a muzzal break or BOSS (Winchesters system) on a PG hunt? Wiki said most PH don't allow them due to the added report of the rifle. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Guns equipped with muzzle brakes are significantly louder than guns without them. Most PH's I've hunted with hate them for that reason - it really isn't reasonable to expect trackers and the PH to have to put up with the additional noise and muzzle blast. But there's another reason PH's don't like to see a muzzle break. If you have a muzzle break on your gun, it tends to indicate you can't handle the recoil of that gun. They'd rather you show up with something you can handle properly, and you've practiced with under field conditions.

I've heard that some PH's won't allow them to be used.

I suggest you use one for practice, if you must, and then remove it (most can be removed) for the hunt. Or get a gun you can handle.

I have never used one on an African rifle although my mountain rifles have them. I have asked many PH's about them and of course, I didn't hear any endorsements of them, but none said they didn't allow them. One very experienced PH flat out told me that if that's what you shoot best, bring it. I'm curious because my wife wants to hunt buffalo and shoots a 375 with a brake really well. I'd be interested in more PH perspective's as well.

My personal opinion is that you should use what ever works the best for you. A muzzle brake does amplify the report to the gun and that is the why PH,s don't like it as 80% of the time they are next to the muzzle. In some scenarios you will also be required to use the PH or tracker as a rest.
If you can, try to avoid using a muzzle break but if for some reason you can't, try to remind the rest of the hunting party before you pull the trigger.

I have a different opinion on brakes than many around here do, meaning I think they serve a purpose. I believe they are a great tool to get you used to the recoil of a heavier kicking rifle, while letting you shoot in higher volume than you might otherwise.

I had one put on my .375 H&H when I first got it and it really did help me and I'm glad that I did it. Once I took it off I haven't put it back on though. I have gone from thinking that gun is a heavy kicker to thinking my .458 Lott isn't too much (no brake) to deal with and I enjoy shooting it. The brake helped me to get there.

Now if I hadn't been able to handle the recoil I would have left it on and I have no issue with anyone that does. This isn't about how tough you are, it is about what you can shoot well and if that helps then so be it, just make sure you have good manners as they sure as heck are loud!

My personal opinion is that you should use what ever works the best for you. A muzzle brake does amplify the report to the gun and that is the why PH,s don't like it as 80% of the time they are next to the muzzle. In some scenarios you will also be required to use the PH or tracker as a rest.
If you can, try to avoid using a muzzle break but if for some reason you can't, try to remind the rest of the hunting party before you pull the trigger.
precisely. The PH is usually just off to the side of the hunter and he gets the brunt of the blast. If you aren't hunting dangerous game there are many options to keep the recoil down without using a break. If you are lucky enough to live in a country that allows supressors then you can have your cake and eat it too. I think of the PH who must do this day in day out

Hi B Shannon,

I my self do not like being around a rifle that is being shot with a Muzzle brake in the field.

Most PH are a little leery of the person who shows up in camp with one on a rifle. As mentioned they are concerned about the ability of the person shooting the rifle and that you have more gun that you can handle accurately. You may want to take some hearing protection along for the PH & trackers to use while you getting ready to shoot.

The persons (PH & Trackers) around you will be looking for a new place to stand behind you when you shoot to minimize the muzzle blast that they will be receiving.

I put a gentry Quiet brake on my 300 win mag
When I got it and it really made the rifle more shoot able.
My PH never said a thing about using one and after we had three of my trophies he said it was a very quiet brake. I told him the name of it and he got on line and did some research on it.
Later we went out with a manager of one of the consignments we were hunting on he said to my PH how is the brake and my PH told him it was good because it doesn't throw all the air back and was the quietest on he had ever heard.
Check it out at

http://www.gentrycustom.com/products

I put a gentry Quiet brake on my 300 win mag
When I got it and it really made the rifle more shoot able.
My PH never said a thing about using one and after we had three of my trophies he said it was a very quiet brake. I told him the name of it and he got on line and did some research on it.
Later we went out with a manager of one of the consignments we were hunting on he said to my PH how is the brake and my PH told him it was good because it doesn't throw all the air back and was the quietest on he had ever heard.
Check it out at

http://www.gentrycustom.com/products

Interesting. ...

I like to use a brake for practice. Just helps me focus on the fundamentals. Last May I took my 7 mm Over with the brake. My intention was to take it off after we sighted in. My PH told me to leave it on if I wanted to. When I shot my kudu he collapsed in mid -stride. First thing my PH said is where is he? He had forgotten about the brake. He also thought I'd let the kudu stop walking. At 75 yards and after 3 full days of hunting I was not waiting.
Point is he lost track of my animal. Not a good thing to have happen when your shot goes off. I took mine off for the rest of the hunt. I don't feel the recoil because of the excitement anyway. Saves their ears. If there is any way to not use it your PH will thank you. Bruce

Muzzle brakes are dangerous in terms of inflicting hearing loss on those close by. My position is, if you need a muzzle brake then you need to find a smaller caliber to shoot, get a better fitting rifle or spend more precision shooting time at the range.

I was very recoil sensitive but was able to go from a 30.06 to a .300 win mag to a 338 and finally to a .375 H&H which I love. The change was a result of disciplined range time.

Now muzzle supressors, that's a different monkey! Those are a hoot to shoot!

Reactions: lcq
Please let us establish one thing. Its BRAKE, not BREAK as in to break stuff. Most have it right, some still don't get it. I for one wont have one on a hunting rifle, but that's just me and it isn't about being macho, I just really hate the noise they hit everyone in the same zip code with. I do have one on an AR15 but it left the factory that way due to the stupid Assault weapon ban. I would get your hunters opinion before I showed up in camp with one just as a courtesy. I see a lot of PH's these days wearing muffs anyway and the trackers usually have their hands free to plug their ears with so it may be less of an issue now than before. I have taken to using muffs in the field as well, the kind that also amplify noise but cut out at loud noise. They help me a lot since my hearing really sucks anyway so I cannot afford to lose anymore. Just MTCW.

Interesting language on Wiki - "PH's don't not allow. and the PH replies "if you can avoid them please do so...."
Some will tell you no way and most will be pleasant and give you the polite and courteous reply noted earlier.

It is mighty rare that anybody hunting with you in North America is going to allow you to use his shoulder for a rest to shoot the gun or be standing beside the muzzle to make sure he can see the bullet impact. PH's in Africa will be out there all the time.
:E Head Hurt:

So, I figure it this way. You need to allow one of your buddies to shoot your rifle off of your shoulder at home. It should provide ample perspective.

I have yet to buy the rifle that has the brake on it. I was suggested to look at the .338 Win Mag, among a few others for PG. One of the rifles (Model 70 Alaskan) has the BOSS on it already. Since it seems a good price, and I am more of a Winchester guy I wanted to hear thoughts about the BOSS/brakes on the rifles. A kind of do/do not in hunting etiquette, when hunting with a guide. The same shop also has a Ruger M77 in the .338, but without any such add ons. Whichever I go with, I want to shoot in practice as I would as if I was in the field. With the .338 coming in at 32-35 lbs of preasure, I don't believe I'll ave an issue. I've had a chance to shoot my brother-in-laws .375 H&H, which I was able to handle. Not sure if I would ever want to go much bigger then that, but I feel the .338 is in my wheel house.

bhfs300 raises a good point. Not all Brakes are the same. Early brakes were ridiculous. Newer brakes are much better. The brakes on my mountain rifles have only an 8 decibel increase over the standard barrel and still reduce recoil substantially. I wish I had a decibel meter of my own. I would test my .300 with a brake, my .44 mag. and my 470 NE double side by side. I'm guessing we would hate them all without hearing protection.

Contact your outfitter regarding their policy on guns with brakes. I used one over there with no issues. Infact if you know that you will be bringing a gun with one installed and your outfitter does not have a problem with it buy a nice pair of electronic muffs as a gift for your PH. They pay ungodly amounts of money on shooting gear over there. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Contact your outfitter regarding their policy on guns with brakes. I used one over there with no issues. Infact if you know that you will be bringing a gun with one installed and your outfitter does not have a problem with it buy a nice pair of electronic muffs as a gift for your PH. They pay ungodly amounts of money on shooting gear over there. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Great suggestion. Bring a few extra sets for the trackers to.

Please let us establish one thing. Its BRAKE, not BREAK as in to break stuff. Most have it right, some still don't get it. I for one wont have one on a hunting rifle, but that's just me and it isn't about being macho, I just really hate the noise they hit everyone in the same zip code with. I do have one on an AR15 but it left the factory that way due to the stupid Assault weapon ban. I would get your hunters opinion before I showed up in camp with one just as a courtesy. I see a lot of PH's these days wearing muffs anyway and the trackers usually have their hands free to plug their ears with so it may be less of an issue now than before. I have taken to using muffs in the field as well, the kind that also amplify noise but cut out at loud noise. They help me a lot since my hearing really sucks anyway so I cannot afford to lose anymore. Just MTCW.
Ses, most of the brakes I've seen on AR-15 type rifles are really flash suppressors. Most AR-15's are of a caliber that is fairly manageable anyway . . . 5.56, 7.62, etc. so don't need a brake.

I think.

Well Grasshopper, you might "think", but in this case you would be wrong, sad to say.:rolleyes: I have an Armalite made during the Clinton ban and flash suppressors were a banned feature so Armalite and some others started putting a "brake" on their guns as many, myself included don't like the bald look of an AR barrel without something on the end of it. Armalite called theirs a "muzzle check", but its a brake plain and simple, and a good, but like most brakes, noisy one. I have owned this rifle since 2002 and I think I know what's on the end of it.:eek::rolleyes::D

Reactions: lcq
Happy to consider myself corrected!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.