Muzzle Brake on a Big Bore

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
MT, OH
What are some of my fellow hunters opinions about the use of muzzle brakes on big bores? I have a buddy who swears by his brake on a 375 Ruger. I don’t run one on any hunting rifle as I’m looking to push blast away from me.

Should a person consider this for a safari rifle? What cons should I be considering in that role? Thinking dangerous game rifle.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
I own the Ruger 375 guide rifle. I personally don’t like recoil, I can handle it just don’t like it. That being said I like the brake. Most PH’s don’t and understandably so. So on this much debated topic here on AH my opinion is go for it.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PH and trackers will hate you as you will kill their hearing.

Shoot your big bore from a lead sled on the bench to get it zeroed and then from a standing bench or sticks so that the recoil becomes much less of an issue. My last range session with my 404 Jeffery, I took the wooden seat and set it on top of the bench. I put a couple of sandbag rests and had a perfect height for me to shoot standing.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
The brake question has been posted numerous times on AH and everyone’s answer is certainly valid from their perspectives.
To repeat my issues, when I purchased my MRC in 375 H&H I got it with a brake. I had just been through a problem with a torn retina and didn’t want it to sever while in Africa. Guaranteed blindness! Admittedly I hate the muzzle blast, but I’d rather be deaf than blind.
A 10 lb 375 H&H with no brake is the max recoil I can handle. It with my brake, I can get a backup shot off much faster as well.
Truth is, I suffered from tinnitus before ever getting my brake.
If I had a suppressor on it, it would be the best, but they are huge for such a big caliber.

BTW, none of my PHs nor trackers ever complained. They just stuck their fingers in their ears. They like their tips too. Most times when you shoot game they are behind you anyway. You get the brunt of the blast.

Best of luck in what ever you decide!

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
NOOOOO..... YESSSSS. That about sums it up.:S Beat Dead Horse:

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Yes, use the brake to develop your loads. That puts a lot less stress on the stock than a lead sled. Use a thread protector once your loads are dialed in

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I hate brakes and won’t own a rifle with one.

That said, I understand part of the attraction (sort of).

Proper mass, proper fit, proper technique and practice will overcome the recoil issues without the risk to other folks ears.

I agree with Pheroze - use a brake in practice if you desire, but leave it off in the field.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
.416 Rigby is as big as I go. Will not have any brake on any of my rifles. For zeroing I use a Past 1 inch gel pad. It works great.

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I have fired a .460 Weatherby Magnum Mark V with a muzzle brake. I liked it at the time. Recoil was ... Not a pleasant experience but the raw power of it is something l have never seen in another fire arm in my life. It is my understanding that most professional hunters despise muzzle brakes and Weatherby .460s since they are usually standing next to the client hunter when the client is opening fire.

Gsxrmike

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA
I vote a strong no. You will get used to shooting a .375. I shoot .458 Lott and .470 from the bench now with no problems and I’m in my 60s.
In the field you will never notice the recoil. Unless you have a medical issue like a detached retina don’t risk lifetime tinnitus by using a brake.
I wake up every morning with my ears ringing from damage done years ago.

Trail Rated

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I have a break on my 416 Ruger and like it. Not a single PH has obtected to my use of the break. All of them have had the sense to stand behind me or to cover their ears.
If your paying for the hunt the PH can use plugs......take some along as hand outs.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I used one on my 375 Ruger when I dropped my giraffe. My PH was back behind me so the blast didn't affect him since he never mentioned it. The animal dropped so honestly I'd say he was actually pretty pleased overall.

Not too long ago I started thinking about buffalo and asked my last PH his opinion on brakes. He said if it helped me put that first very critical shot into the right spot he'd far prefer I used one. So if it really helps you ask your PH, and possibly ask them if they'd mind trying some Walker type ear muffs. If so, buy him a set or two, bring them along and leave them as a little bonus gift.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
What are some of my fellow hunters opinions about the use of muzzle brakes on big bores? I have a buddy who swears by his brake on a 375 Ruger. I don’t run one on any hunting rifle as I’m looking to push blast away from me.

Should a person consider this for a safari rifle? What cons should I be considering in that role? Thinking dangerous game rifle.

If you shoot better with it then it can be a big plus. Minus is you must have hearing pro. In DG situations it can be a problem however.
Philip

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Yes, use the brake to develop your loads. That puts a lot less stress on the stock than a lead sled. Use a thread protector once your loads are dialed in
Never ever had a rifle bothered by a lead sled - ever. And I shoot a bit. A couple of friends develop loads for customers with the the clients' rifles and use the lead sled extensively - never ever an issue with thousands of rounds an hundreds of rifles. You would think Caldwell would be out of business long ago with all the destroyed big bores fired from their rests. (n):(

With respect the muzzle breaks, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from managing your rifle, then NO.

And no matter how much you tip them, your PH and tracker will be grateful.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I have a break on my 416 Ruger and like it. Not a single PH has obtected to my use of the break. All of them have had the sense to stand behind me or to cover their ears.
If your paying for the hunt the PH can use plugs......take some along as hand outs.
BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT BREAK!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:( AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and NO TO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_O:rolleyes::eek::D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffereyFo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.