Music

Favorite all time band is Tool. Favorite song is Sober by Tool.
Metal, Rock, Red Dirt County, old country, classical, a little opera and musical (Think HMS Pinnafore, Camelot, etc...) very very little Rap/Pop.
Tool is AWESOME...Forty Six &2 is probably my favorite, followed by Passenger (Maynard + Deftones)

Hair band Christmas:

How about the Statler Brothers?
RIP Harold Reid
Many others can be mentioned.

I'm all over the board.

British Invasion - Pink Floyd, Badfinger, Led Zeppelin, Who, Moody Blues, Queen, Rolling Stones, Bad Company, ELO, Foreigner,

Southern Rock - Credence Clearwater Revival., Lynyrd Skynyrd, Almond Brothers, Alabama,

American Rock - Styx, Boston, Kansas, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac (partial American), REO Speedwagon, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith,

Rock/Pop - Steve Miller, Elton John, Bob Seeger, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Journey, BeeGee's (predisco), Tom Petty, Three Dog Night, Dr. Hook, Traveling Wilburys, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart,

Country - Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Toby Keith, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard,

Amazing voices - Freddy Mercury, Meatloaf, Cher, Andre Bocelli, Tina Turner, Sarah Brightman, Roy Orbison, Barry White, Whitney Houston, Leonard Cohen, Celine Deon, Karen Carpenter,

African singers - Freddy Mercury, Roger Whittaker,

When off Broadway comes to town or when in NYC or London we take on musicals and enjoy most.

Best concert - Moody Blues backed up by our Philharmonic.

I am probably leaving off nearly as many as I have listed.

The 50s. That's my era. Caribbean steel drum. Authentic Hawaiian. Classical. Some good country--Johnny Cash, Alan Jackson, Charley Pride, Bellamy Brothers. ABBA.

Some others depending on my mood.

so what is your musical appetite like?

I'm the most across-the-spectrum guy I know.

You're just as likely to find me listening to Holst or Prokofiev as to Metallica or AC/DC as to Alan Jackson or Trace Adkins.

And it ain't because I'm old, but music today really does suck. There is nothing on scene remotely close to what the Eagles did with 5 part harmony. If there's somebody who even comes close to Freddy Mercury's range, I am not aware of them. Is there a 3 man band anywhere within light years of Boston?

We have John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Danny Elfman filling in nicely for the late Romantics

with few exceptions, modern rock and country are just dead.
Enya and Vangelis 2 also to put on list and Sabaton from Sweden is good also .

I'm all over the board.

British Invasion - Pink Floyd, Badfinger, Led Zeppelin, Who, Moody Blues, Queen, Rolling Stones, Bad Company, ELO, Foreigner,

Southern Rock - Credence Clearwater Revival., Lynyrd Skynyrd, Almond Brothers, Alabama,

American Rock - Styx, Boston, Kansas, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac (partial American), REO Speedwagon, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith,

Rock/Pop - Steve Miller, Elton John, Bob Seeger, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Journey, BeeGee's (predisco), Tom Petty, Three Dog Night, Dr. Hook, Traveling Wilburys, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart,

Country - Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Toby Keith, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard,

Amazing voices - Freddy Mercury, Meatloaf, Cher, Andre Bocelli, Tina Turner, Sarah Brightman, Roy Orbison, Barry White, Whitney Houston, Leonard Cohen, Celine Deon, Karen Carpenter,

African singers - Freddy Mercury, Roger Whittaker,

When off Broadway comes to town or when in NYC or London we take on musicals and enjoy most.

Best concert - Moody Blues backed up by our Philharmonic.

I am probably leaving off nearly as many as I have listed.
If you ever get a chance to see Harry Connick, Jr. live, it is worth the price of admission, whatever it is. I saw him years ago, amazingly smooth voice and also terrific on the keyboard.

His daddy was the Orleans parish District Attorney for a while, so it's a connected family.

Chukar................you have totally ruined "Rains in Africa" for me.
Tundra T............totally agree...will never forget that elk hunt I did with Susanna.
The computer and "Autotune" hurt the originality of Rock Music. No longer enough variation to make it seem real, human.
FWB

Nice post sgt_zim. I'll keep my response simple: anything but rap.
+1,000

And I’ll have to add opera to that. Just could never get there.

Other than those, you name it…young or old and wild or tame. I have to keep moving the dial every so often.

Because I'm techno-savage and just got my first I-dialer with Earballs... I have to say that I am enjoying Apocalyptica.

Symphony and Metallica all day long. Need to buy some Mead and a drinking horn.

Garth Brooks concert at rice Eccles stadium last night was awesome-He was as good as the first time I saw him back during high school!

Most I like been mentioned....like from rock to today's stuff....and some of the sfrican and congolese dance music ...not sure if rod Stewart...glen Miller...deep purple...kylie...Phil collins/genesis...10cc....david bowie...have been mentioned...yeah wide variety I like

Helene Fischer probably has the best female voice today, and she looks the part.
Dana Winner, 'One Moment in Time'. British nostalgia stuff 'Whiter Shade of Pale', nice music for a ride in an e-type jag. Billy Joel's 'Piano Man' is our Tiger Tournament theme tune, good music, good lyrics.

One sticks in my mind...Chris rea road to hell...had it on a cassette and it somehow played on a loop continuously when we were driving out of west zambezi to lusaka in 1990....very apt as it was a shit drive...

One thing nobody else has mentioned is Celtic: The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, Dubliners, Chieftains, Pougues, Christy Moore. I can get lost in this for days.

And now I know @gizmo will always quickly return my phone, should he ever find it. There’s about 500 Christmas songs in my music library. I went to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert every year for about 15 years (their tours have been within a 3 hour drive the last several years). Also lots of Mannheim Steamroller.

And I listen to a lot of Christian music. Gospel from the likes of the Gaither Vocal Band and those folks, plus a lot of praise type music.

Other than those, old country-basically stuff from the 90’s or earlier (Willie’s Roadhouse is great).

One great thing is that even though I live outside a town of 2,500 people, we get a LOT of great live music in the area. The area has basically become a live music Mecca. Our local Arts Council has hosted a monthly Coffeehouse with live music and open mic for over 30 years. Several years ago, a gentleman who lives about 20 miles away started hosting house concerts as part of a way to cope with PTSD from his service in Iraq. To date, he’s hosted around 300 house concerts. Plus, he is part of a group which host concerts in an artist coop. And he led the Arts Council to get multiple $25,000 matching grants to host a 10-week free concert series in one of our city parks. This is the 3rd time we received the grant. It even promoted one very successful businesswoman to donate $100,000 to build a permanent stage in the park. The series has brought in national and even international acts. We’ll be headed up in about an hour to this week’s show.

Oh, and Bluegrass.

I used to listen to everything and lots of rap. Now I have smartened up. No rap. Country and rock. Even though I do like disturbed. Nirvana. Tool. Korn. And some 90’s bands.

Tool is AWESOME...Forty Six &2 is probably my favorite, followed by Passenger (Maynard + Deftones)
Yip fantastic song but they really have too many outstanding songs to mention. When parable turns to parabola is one of the greatest transitions ever! The Pot, Stinkfist, Aenema, Vicarious and on and on. I have every album they ever made. MJK’s other bands have epic music as well. A Perfect Circle with Judith, Passive, 3 Libras. Pussifer has some great stuff though less known; Weaver, The Remedy, Telling Ghosts. It just keeps going, extremely talented guy and group of musicians.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you