Multiple 375's

The best all around African caliber IMO. My original DG build back in the early 90’s is a 375 H&H Whitworth action, 22” Douglas barrel with a varmint taper (I wanted the extra weight). Built on a straight grain English Walnut stock with “fish scale” checkering (grip works well with wet or sweaty hands). Topped off with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8 with quick detach lever rings and Williams adjustable rear sight.

Here it is in CAR back in ‘91 with Savannah Buffalo
59878B58-4E73-406F-AE80-1EDE09FD9522.jpeg

Lately I’ve accumulated a couple more 375’s, two HS Precision takedown two barrel sets;
One in 300 H&H and 375 H&H and the other in 300 RUM and 375 RUM

Nothing wrong with having choices!

I do not see myself hunting DG except maybe buffalo (why did I sell my .458 Lott? ...haha, just kidding) but I always seem to have a .375 and usually more than one. Currently have a nice Whitworth and a butchered VZ24 action somebody else tried to use with a .375 barrel. Will try to finish the project one and then maybe convert it to .404 Jeff. Why? Because I'm eyeing a ZKK 602 in .375 to join the team. Or maybe that one will become the 404 due to its larger magazine....ohhh my god...who's to know what to do when you have more than one? :D

Have a RSM and a pre-64 M70.....for now. I'm sure I will find a reason to add some more!

The more im thinking about it, I'm leaning towards adding a B&C stock to the current 375, using the 300 wby M70 and Wilson barrel to go blue/ walnut 375.

But im still kinda stuck on doing the 376 as well with my 2nd 375 bbl. Just a matter of Yugo vs 98. The Yugo stocks I have.. might be a little "petite" for the 376. If I use the 98 (which has its markings filed off, and had a tiny bit of pitting on the rails, so not a pretty gun platform) another B&C is in order. Not many other options for synthetic unless I step up to custom order. I don't feel like dropping $600 on a dtock for a gun I may or may not like.

Of course if someone bought my 376 ammo I could easily move on fromn that project.....

Currently have a 375 and can't stop drooling over getting another one.
Next one to be all stainless, synthetic and a bit lighter for more hiking and hunting action in poor weather.

I have a few in 375 H&H & 375 Ruger. A couple of the 375 H&H's are for intended for conversion to larger bores. Though, I have full intentions of maintaining at least a minimum of 2ea 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. With today's bullets, they are both versatile medium bores.

All in .375 H&H:
  • Custom Pre-64 M70 by Jim Kobe
  • CZ 550M
  • Merkel 140AE

I have all the guns I need, but not all the guns I want!

...does a Winchester 94 in 375 Win count? lol
Sure, as long as you stay in the limited box that the 375WIN puts you in.

The 375WIN certainly is a .375 caliber but comparing it to even the most average load of a 375H&H, it becomes apparent that the WIN load is anemic at best. This is mostly due to the strength of the action that it was designed for...lever action. Which means lower pressure than a typical bolt action.

Some numbers...
375WIN - max press 55,000# with typical load being a 200 grain flat nosed (for use in a tubular magazine) bullet at 2200 fps yielding 2149 lb/ft of energy.

Compare that to the 375H&H - max press 62,000# with a 300 grain spitzer bullet at 2400 fps for 3837 lb/ft of energy. And the 375H&H is arguably on the light side of the .375 caliber ballistics chart with the 375WBY, 378WBY, 375RUM and 375RUGER all having more energy.

All that said, it looks like a fun cartridge to shoot. Low recoil in a handy rifle would be a great choice for spot and stalk hogs or whitetail at less than 100 yards with open sights.

blast from the past!

I did end up building the 376 on no name 98. Actually just about finished up inletting the stock this week and will be bedding it here shortly.
Coincidentally I also recently traded into q 375 Win! A model 94 XTR, pre Big Bore, so it is the standard to eject. Lovely gun. And now I'm contemplating adding a 375 Whelen to the mix, must likely on a 1903 with a short barrel, nice little deep brush thumper

I have two. A Whitworth Mauser with the most beautiful wood I’ve seen on a Whitworth and the AHR CZ550 with a B&C stock I bought from @BeeMaa for a brown bear camp rifle. Almost bought a third last week on AH.

I have three of them. Not sure why. Probably something to do with GB and bourbon.
I have 3 also, but one is being rebarreled to 458 Lott as we type. I blame it on AH and all the enablers around here...

I have two. A Whitworth Mauser with the most beautiful wood I’ve seen on a Whitworth and the AHR CZ550 with a B&C stock I bought from @BeeMaa for a brown bear camp rifle. Almost bought a third last week on AH.
I had a great time with that rifle. I hope it's providing you and your clients with yeoman service.

blast from the past!

I did end up building the 376 on no name 98. Actually just about finished up inletting the stock this week and will be bedding it here shortly.
Coincidentally I also recently traded into q 375 Win! A model 94 XTR, pre Big Bore, so it is the standard to eject. Lovely gun. And now I'm contemplating adding a 375 Whelen to the mix, must likely on a 1903 with a short barrel, nice little deep brush thumper
You are correct on the blast from the past, that "Nice 70 stock went on my wifes 7REM MAG. the Bauska action I got from you went on to be a 404 Jeff. and I have worked a couple deals with another AH member that resulted in a 376 steyr and 505 gibbs in the fold.

Lotsa gun swappers on here. I have one M70 .375. Nice rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg