Most Misjudged Plains Game Species?

I can't answer the question but the bot about bears and colour phase got my interest.
I would be keen to hunt a bear. As far as a Black bear goes a colour phase would be my preference. I think it has more appeal to me. The age or sex isn't relevant so long as I could hunt it legally and import the rug.
A Grizzly is out of my budget so a nice Black bear would still make for great memories.

+1 on this one. I would probably add in Roan as their size is deceiving for the unawares.
I really agree with you on this. I took this photo of a 36” sable and a 27” roan side by side. The Roan’s big body and skull make them deceptively small.
IMG_1300.jpeg

I know it’s not plains game but I think crocodile should be mentioned. I find it really difficult to judge a croc. If there are other crocs around to give perspective it makes it easier. But I’m really impressed by PHs who can judge crocs well.

kudu, especially if you dont have time and different angle to check him out

I know it’s not plains game but I think crocodile should be mentioned. I find it really difficult to judge a croc. If there are other crocs around to give perspective it makes it easier. But I’m really impressed by PHs who can judge crocs well.
As long as the croc was "born wild", behind no fence, on large area and in big lake or river, not a dam. I read how good PH's can judge crocs by the inch for TF purposes, but in all honesty those know exactly how big it was when released. This fooled me until I woke up.

PH's judging those crocs that are wild is impressive.

MB

I remember shooting some firsts. Meaning shooting the first time I had ever seen that animal. Ant bear and eland come to mind.

MB
What’s an ant bear? We kicked up an aardwolf out of the bush when going for my wildebeest. That was very cool to see!

What’s an ant bear? We kicked up an aardwolf out of the bush when going for my wildebeest. That was very cool to see!
Old name was aardvark. Seen tons on 2021 SA night hunt safari but they cannot be hunted. Shot mine hunting in Namibia many years ago.

MB

Ant bear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudu can be very deceptive.

To clarify, I am a pedestrian when it comes to field judging plains game. I will rely on my PH. I completely trust his judgement, I am not worried about making a mistake, but I am curious.

Is there a particular plains game animal that gets misjudged more than others? Perhaps a trait that can lead a less experienced eye to over-estimate either the age or size? I’ve read the tiny ones can be difficult, what about the larger ones?

Here in Oregon we hunt black bears and hunters often refer to their colorization as an indicator of age or size. In my experience colorization is not a good indicator of either age or size.
Who is saying age and size of black bears is based on color phase? That is plain wrong. If they are born black, black they shall be for life. Same for brown or tan or cinnamon or ice or whatever the trendy name is given to a color phase. What happens, especially with brown/grizzly bears, is the sun bleaches hair between molts and some of that long, light color hair stays on the legs longer. Their body and neck may have already shed the old hair and be darker. The legs may still have the lighter color sun bleached hair... giving them an odd appearance- kind of like a cross fox :) Two to three year old brown bears in the spring within a month or two of being out of hibernation seem to show that odd hair molting, spidery, cross fox appearance, more so than most of the older, mature bears.

As to PG in Africa... roan are difficult to judge as at least one post has mentioned. You have to get used to seeing older, better roan bulls compared to smaller, younger roan bulls. They are very large, long legged antelope so perspective is different from sable for example. A mistake is to study sable then judge roan... doesn't work. You may end up letting a true whopper roan go because their horn tips won't scratch their butt :)

Oryx can be difficult, especially when looking at a cow with long, thin horns- most especially a cow with long, thin horns that splay out. For reasons I don't fully understand a lot of hunters get excited about wide splayed horns of both oryx and kudu. That shape really exaggerates or blinds the observer to a true assessment of the length. Even some sub-adult oryx fool hunters if there are no mature animals close by for comparison. Mature oryx have a head that is about 15" long. Get close to three face lengths worth of horn length and youssa!...big oryx! Then it's a matter of double checking for bull or cow what ever your preference may be :) Hopefully the PH will assess and advise at the right time.

Kudu are obviously difficult because of the spiral. If that first curl looks to have a wide (deep) curl... that's a good start. Where the tips end up pointing is usually secondary. If the bull has a couple of those deep curls then it is better than a good start! Sometimes a bull pushing 60" will have the first two curls obviously wide and deep but with tips pointing inward. That can be deceiving because in the eyes of many that is the least attractive conformation- even though the bull may be a whopper and close to 60". Look at lots of pics. This forum has a ton of them posted in the kudu section. Not all of them have accurate measurements though - just saying.... Just as with oryx pay no attention to the width or splay if you are looking for good length. A wide splayed, tight spiraled kudu may look impressive but those are not usually where you find 60 inches - Of course if you like that conformation and care less about length then by all means go for it, if one those provides the opportunity. But it is easy to talk about such things, just idle dreaming to pre plan them.

Last edited:
My experience is very limited in 3 trips over. But for my eye Gemsbok are impossible. All those grey bodies milling around with long straight horns. Its fascinating and they all look huge to me. And then you get the lone bull with nothing to compare to and it gets even more difficult.
I would never attempt to give a measurement on Kudu, too much goes into those inches with the curl and height and different angles make them look very different. But I have a better idea when I see them if one is "good" or "great." With Oryx I am completely out of my depth with length and age.

The balls on a Tsessebe that aren't there? (that's a tough one)

Maturity/age of a male leopard? (really tough, stakes are very high if an error in age is made)

You can often mistake a male gemsbok with long, thin horns and end up killing a female. (females generally have longer horns, but thinner bases)

Kudu can easily be misjudged if their horns are wide because they look impressive, but score poorly if they don't have a very erect horn type with very deep curls.

Elephant circumference at the lip is the KEY element in judging weight. If the ivory is 10" longer than you estimate it, but it's 4" less circumference at the lip, you killed a very poor quality elephant. Estimation with accuracy really matters.

Here's a way to estimate oryx horn length if you have a profile view, as described in my previous post. This bull has exactly 40" horns. The left horn was more perpendicular to the camera so was used in this example. Easy way for quick estimate- takes very little practice to get the hang of it.
Kalahari gemsbok measurement .jpg

Your PH should be able to come pretty close but it pays to also be able to judge… after all you are the one pulling the trigger.

Also consider that sub-adult oryx if by themselves can look like good trophies. They are no longer brown and have taken on a gray color. But their heads may only be 10-12” long. Their horns are growing rapidly and may appear to have good mass all the way to the tip. But without a mature oryx handy for comparison, a deceptively good looking “trophy” sub-adult may have horns closer to 26-28”. Imagine the sinking feeling as you walk up and experience the phenomenon of “ground shrinkage” first hand, uhggg…

Another way to judge a “trophy” is by age or hard life. This bull oryx is fairly old and has the appearance of an old warrior in tough habitat conditions. Note the heavy eye brow of the skull, IMO a sure sign of an older bull. I don’t think he’ll make 35” but to my eye a good trophy. Cows will not have that heavy eyebrow bulge.
BDAEBD82-CEC9-4FFC-9A44-CAEC51FF4455.jpeg

Last edited:
In Africa definitely Kudu is tough but let me through out there Hippo. Unless he opens his mouth tough to judge. Thankfully I trust my PH and shot some good ones.

HH

Croc is easy, everyone cheats. You measure the shoreline to the end of the bait. I think the formula is 60% body and 40% tail. Thus, if the bait is 7’ out of the water, and the croc is eating it, and its tail is in the water….solve for Pi.

All jokes and hyperbole aside, you use witness marks on your bait, line, and reference to the water to be very accurate on croc with minimal effort.

Giraffe are extremely tricky to judge except on flat ground. If giraffe are in steep mountainous terrain or on solid rock slab slopes of kopjes it's almost impossible to judge the trophy quality of a giraffe. Judging them under those conditions requires years of experience. For flat ground giraffe trophy judging, use a simple protractor to determine angle degrees from ground at feet to top of head... including the horn nubs or just the top of skull is shooter's choice. Use a rangefinder to determine distance to target. Simple trigonometry will determine how tall the trophy is. Equation for calculating the height therefor the trophy quality of a giraffe:

tangent of degrees of angle X distance to target = tallness of giraffe :)

Any single animal can easily be misjudged even by an experienced guide. As a non Africa example, here in Texas we have a rule when hunting whitetail does. You must not shoot a single animal but wait for a group to judge body size. Otherwise those single does miraculously grow nubs and testicles when they hit the ground!

I have incredibly limited knowledge but I'd have to say kudu. After looking at no less than 2 dozen semi-mature to real mature males (not counting females/immatures) over a 5 day safari you can see how it happens. I think part of it stems too from the fact there's a constant pursuit of that over 55" or even over 60" bull which leads peoples eyes to start telling their mind things. Add to that the fact they literally disappear in short periods of time and the way the horns can be angling in weird directions, easy mistakes.

My PH was spot on with everything I shot aside from one animal. It took him literally 2-3 seconds to tell my kudu was a shooter. Was it over 50"? No, but a nice respectable bull.

The only animal he was wrong on? My impala. We lost sight of the bull we wanted and he said to take the other "good" one coming out. I did and it turned out to be a potential SCI gold impala. His words "I knew it was a shooter but my God...."

I understand the trophy aspect for many hunters. Listen to your PH or guide and yes even with year’s experience we make mistakes especially when things get rushed or singles. But in my humble opinion beauty is the eye of the beholder. I wish more hunters would look at the whole experience in a new place see the beauty of the country and people they are in. Not the inch mark. Again my humble opinion

Here's a way to estimate oryx horn length if you have a profile view, as described in my previous post. This bull has exactly 40" horns. The left horn was more perpendicular to the camera so was used in this example. Easy way for quick estimate- takes very little practice to get the hang of it.
View attachment 537204

Thats a great reference. Thanks!

I initially took this post as referring to judging distance. Given that twist, I’d say Tommys. Although I wasn’t hunting them (I’m always hunting in my mind though) I couldn’t guess range on them to save my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois