More bad news from Zimbabwe

The situation was this. Anthony was guiding a client who wounded a warthog. During the follow up, the client himself stepped into a warthog hole in long grass, stumbled, dropped his rifle which went off and the bullet then struck young Anthony in the arm.

Stumbled... that's all it took. Gives you pause.

Off to teach survival training to a bunch of city folk in the woods for a few days.

I'll keep in mind just how tenuous this gift of life we all have is! Stay safe.

Anthony is a good family friend of ours via Gavin. I hunted with Anthony last spring in Zim. We hung out at Dallas SCI and he joined us in Kansas after Dallas for a week. Here's a link to a funny news story of his visit this year:

Tracking wild animals prepares hunters from Zimbabwe for shopping in Wichita | Wichita Eagle

On the important side of business, my father has calls into his tax attorney and accountant to set-up a 501(c)(3). I will post the details when we get them.

Thanks for your prayers for Anthony, he's a great guy. I will hunt with him again.

I have just spoken to Antony's dad on the phone. Antony is now stable but still in ICU. They have amputated his right arm above the elbow. It took 4 hours to get him out! Fortunately there was a plane on the runway at the camp that could get him out without delay. The trackers took 2 hours to carry him out through the bush to the vehicle. They are clueless on first aid and so he had to direct operations at the same time. The 500 gr bullet hit him in the elbow.
He is going to need a lot of 'talking to' to get through this so if you know anyone who has had similar injuries and come through it with a positive outlook let me know please.
PH's ...time to get your trackers qualified in advanced first aid?!

He really does need someone to lean on, and ideally someone who has done this before. I still try to visit Walter Reed periodically and it will break your heart to see these kids broken to pieces by IEDs. Military medicine would stongly agree that psychological treatment and recovery are every bit as important as the physical. While Bush was still President he regularly visited the hospital (no press permitted) and his talks with those young wounded soldiers were part of that phschological healing. One young sergeant was a double leg ambutee. A tough airborne trooper, he was really struggling. The President of the United States sat with him for the better part of an hour and got him to commit to "call him" when he was ready for a two mile run. A year and a month later the President and that young sergeant ran two miles on the course at Fort McNair in DC. - and again - no press invited.

Someone he will respect needs to offer that sort of challenging love. He has a very long road ahead of him.

"..strangely enough,my friend,I never had a problem with my rules except for one s.o.b Frenchman who ended up shooting himself in the foot !
Sadly,this 'rule' of mine all came about through a family tradgedy.Many winter's ago,my grandfather,Tom Ferguson or 'Uncle Tommy' as he was fondly known,lost his best friend through negligence by a foreign hunter.He NEVER hunted in front of a rifle again.Nor did my Dad and his brothers and neither do I or my brothers.We all use a 'gun bearer' that we trust,with our lives,and that's that..!

PS..no extra charge..just a relaxed bunch of hunters..! Oh,yes,Tony's spoken for.."

I understand the precaution, but we would have to part company. I know you trust Antonio - but I don't. I have spent a lifetime at the profession of arms, and having personal control of my weapon is as ingrained in me as your concerns are in you.

I make it a point to discuss with my PH or guide what weapon protocol we intend to use. For plains game, I am very happy with a full mag and nothing in the chamber. It would be a rare opportunity to lose a shot practicing that sort of rifle management. On a DG hunt, specifically Buff or elephant, I am going to have a round in the chamber with the weapon on safe when I leave the vehicle. And the rifle will be in my hands. And I am not French and am only rarely considered an SOB.

Red Leg

Excuse me, I am sure you know all the words to Macho Man by heart but I am thinking, based on your post, I am missing something here

It's hot, I am standing in mud with dust blowing in my face

We've been at this all day and have 10 -12 klicks left to pull

Tony is humping my gear

Doc's got me covered

the only thing missing is that little Swedish girl with the martini pitcher and the sunscreen

and the only thing on my mind is "wonder what's for supper"

Either you've spent way too much time in "Indian Country" or I need someone with a powerpoint to show me where this turns as a bad thing

because cosmically, I am really having a tough time faulting this set up

It's easy enough to say this and that, but at the end of the day as PH, you have to very quickly gauge the man you're taking out hunting. As a client I wouldn't let a stranger carry my rifle...so there'd be an unpleasant start to the safari! I know Doc and hears where he's coming from...but we'd not go any further there. The PH, in my opinion is there to play body guard to the client. You can ensure his firearm is safe and if you feel that he's un safe, then by all means have words with the guy. If it gets heated at that point - which it shouldn't as you're the consummate PH full of tact and grace - well and good but one can't realistically start it off like that! Sorry Doc!
The client is 'The Customer' and 'customer care' is what Pro Huntings about...ego's aside!
Some days I carried the clients rifle....if he was draggin ass...and if he agreed I could after I offered!
In a lot of DG areas...Like Chewore or Dande North, it's very prudent to have as many firearms in knowledgeable hands as possible at all time whilst away from the truck!
Besides....if the client doesn't get to break a sweat then it detracts from the enjoyment of the safari! It's about the journey not the destination.
Just saying! :cupcoffee:

He really does need someone to lean on, and ideally someone who has done this before.
Someone he will respect needs to offer that sort of challenging love. He has a very long road ahead of him.

Hear you loud and clear there! Been down that road! I will give his dad another call this morning.
I do think the hunting career is over though. I am qualified to help with other career openings.

It's easy enough to say this and that, but at the end of the day as PH, you have to very quickly gauge the man you're taking out hunting. As a client I wouldn't let a stranger carry my rifle...so there'd be an unpleasant start to the safari! I know Doc and hears where he's coming from...but we'd not go any further there. The PH, in my opinion is there to play body guard to the client. You can ensure his firearm is safe and if you feel that he's un safe, then by all means have words with the guy. If it gets heated at that point - which it shouldn't as you're the consummate PH full of tact and grace - well and good but one can't realistically start it off like that! Sorry Doc!
The client is 'The Customer' and 'customer care' is what Pro Huntings about...ego's aside!
Some days I carried the clients rifle....if he was draggin ass...and if he agreed I could after I offered!
In a lot of DG areas...Like Chewore or Dande North, it's very prudent to have as many firearms in knowledgeable hands as possible at all time whilst away from the truck!
Besides....if the client doesn't get to break a sweat then it detracts from the enjoyment of the safari! It's about the journey not the destination.
Just saying! :cupcoffee:

i would go with that, as i am going to carry my own rifle, and as you say in certain hunting areas especially if poaching is prevalent, you dont know what pissed off injured buff/ele etc might take exception at very short notice to your presence.

My name is Mark Howland and I am the Father of Anthony who was injured in the accident on
Wednesday last week and had to have his right arm amputated as a result.

He was looking for a warthog for his client when the accident happened. I understand the client
Dropped his weapon while crossing a small stream and the safety failed and resulted in an AD
Which hit my son in the elbow from behind. The round was a large calibre soft nose and virtually
Separated the bottom of his arm from the top.

At the time he was about an hour and a half away from his vehicle which was a further hour and
A half from the closest airstrip. Under instruction from Anthony, his staff fashioned a stretcher,
As well stemming the bleeding and carried him out to his hunting vehicle. He was then driven to
The airstrip by his driver. They arrived at the airstrip to be met by a medical air rescue service with
A doctor in attendance. He was then flown to Harare and admitted to hospital. His arm was immediately
Amputated and he was transferred to the hospitals high care unit.

The wound was inspected on Friday and was found to be healing 渡icely? He has been recovering
Quickly and was moved from high care to a general ward on Saturday. Today, Monday he will be having
The wound sown up and we hope to have Anthony home later this week.

Many thanks for your time. I hope this slightly fuller account of the accident clears a few things.
Kind regards,

Mark, Sorry to hear about your son's tragique accident and thank you for sharing with us the account of the event. I am happy to hear that his recovery is going well and please send him my best wishes for a fast healing. Thank you.

Mark sorry to say hello in such circumstances. as jerome said , thanks letting us know what happened. i am glad to hear anthony is recovering well, and pass on all of our best wishes to him, regards mike

Red Leg

Excuse me, I am sure you know all the words to Macho Man by heart but I am thinking, based on your post, I am missing something here

It's hot, I am standing in mud with dust blowing in my face

We've been at this all day and have 10 -12 klicks left to pull

Tony is humping my gear

Doc's got me covered

the only thing missing is that little Swedish girl with the martini pitcher and the sunscreen

and the only thing on my mind is "wonder what's for supper"

Either you've spent way too much time in "Indian Country" or I need someone with a powerpoint to show me where this turns as a bad thing

because cosmically, I am really having a tough time faulting this set up

Sigh. Doctor, I didn't slight your profession, your judgement, or your experience. I am certain you are very good at what you do, and I have no intention of insulting you by sugesting that you have every episode of "Bones" memorized. I was also not referring to a specific end of day situation. And I suppose I should not have used your quote as I was not responding to you at all, but to the notion that a PH had a policy to not allow any client to carry his own rifle. Clients, like PHs, and even, I would surmise, physicians, are not all created equal. Many have great experience around firearms. And most PHs and guides, in my experience, have a pretty good nose for sorting those experience levels out pretty quickly. I am going to carry and mannage my own rifle.

Mr. Howland, I am so glad to hear that Anthony is out of immediate danger. What a brave and resiliant young man to take charge of that situation while injured so badly. He will need all of your support and patience in the coming months. A young PH with whom I hunted a couple of years ago, Naude' Alberts, manages Eden in Namibia. Last year, a client shot a leopard off of him. Unfortunately, the 300 WinMag bullet went through the cat and took off much of Naude's right hand. A number of people assumed his professional hunting career was over, but he has bounced back very strongly after a such an injury. He might be someone your son could reach out to who has already been down this very hard road. A good point of contact would be Stacey Alberts who is married to Naude's cousin and fellow PH, Dries Alberts. Stacey acts acts in an administrative function for Eden. I would be happy to PM you her contact information. Please know that Anthony is in our thoughts and prayers.

Mr. Howland,

Thank you for the update. Our thoughts and prayers remain with your son and family.

Thank you Joe very much for Stacey's email address. I will contact her. In a situation like this all the help offered is of some help. Anthony's operation went well today and he will be out of hospital on Wednesday.

Mark, forgive me if my comments have been misconstrued as anything but hugely empathetic and from a desire in my heart to be helpful. Anthony is just a fine young man and if he can see his way to hunt again on a Pro basis then please believe me when I say that we'll all turn out to help in whatever way we can.

Following the thread, a thought repeatedly crossed my mind: the training of staff other than the PH in first aid and wound care. As this tragic story demonstrates, the PH can be the victim of an accident, and if he is the only one with first aid training, things could go bad very quickly (BTW, my hat is off to Anthony for directing his own care while severely wounded. What a brave man!).
I work as a GP in a semi-rural practice in Australia. When we have first aid courses, not only do out doctors and nurses need to qualify, but our entire reception staff as well. I recently attended a refresher where 8 receptionists were in as well, and can now say that I would confidently have my MI at reception! Basic training is not difficult, anyone can learn it, and it can save lives! The most important thing is to refresh the training regularly, even by setting up small scenarios in the evening ("You, xxx, have just been shot / broken your ankle / been run over by a buffalo. Everybody, action!"). Make it a regular feature, a bit of a game or competition, and when the unthinkable happens, people will start doing the right thing without thinking. Keep it simple, and remember that any aid is better than no aid.
An often unmentioned side effect of repeat training is that accidents are less likely to happen in the first place because the training has raised safety awareness (and because, by Murphy's law, it never rains when you have an umbrella!). Safe hunting, everyone!
Mr. Howland, my thoughts and prayers are with Anthony!

Timbear...you're right sometimes it happens that both PH and Client are overcome...then it's really up to the trackers etc to save lives. It really is amazing that in so many instances I know of they perform so well!
I also believe that all women should also do a course! Accidents with children in the home are also prevalent!

I also believe that all women should also do a course! Accidents with children in the home are also prevalent!

Agreed, everyone should have a working knowledge of first aid. Unfortunately, we live in the real world, where most people don't. Most accidents happen at home, but at least in those cases help is just a phone call away. Out in the bush knowledge of first aid can be the difference between life and death.

Timbear..... A GP, would have never guessed!

I have seen so many rural situations turn bad for want of so little.

we are revising and simplifying our protocol to make it a little more effective and meaningful

Other than general first aid experience and training we figure that in a bad situation you need to get a few things foing pretty quick. None of which are that difficult. I expect you could teach someone or a group of someones in about 30 minutes.

#1 start an airway

#2 spike an IV

#3 stop the bleeding

#4 close any thoracic breach

Finally

#5 close the wound and transport

hopefully you can get back to the truck and some more gear in a reasonable amount of time where you can get an IV going

There are so many great new products that make all of the above so much easier than it used to be

Halo chest seals
CeLox crystals and impregnated pressure bandages

It seems we are stumbling around in the bush,a long way from home with lots of firepower chasing dangerous animals
wouldn't it just seem prudent to ask "what if?" and have a plan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg