More bad news from Zimbabwe

Timbear..... A GP, would have never guessed!

I have seen so many rural situations turn bad for want of so little.

we are revising and simplifying our protocol to make it a little more effective and meaningful

Other than general first aid experience and training we figure that in a bad situation you need to get a few things foing pretty quick. None of which are that difficult. I expect you could teach someone or a group of someones in about 30 minutes.

#1 start an airway

#2 spike an IV

#3 stop the bleeding

#4 close any thoracic breach

Finally

#5 close the wound and transport

hopefully you can get back to the truck and some more gear in a reasonable amount of time where you can get an IV going

There are so many great new products that make all of the above so much easier than it used to be

Halo chest seals
CeLox crystals and impregnated pressure bandages

It seems we are stumbling around in the bush,a long way from home with lots of firepower chasing dangerous animals
wouldn't it just seem prudent to ask "what if?" and have a plan

Second Wind, that sounds like battle experience. Having trained soldiers (although I was fortunate that "our" war never happened) and medical staff, I totally agree: Basic life saving skills are teachable to pretty much everyone. The important point, I have found, is repetition. In the days after a first aid course everyone is fired up, but the amount of knowledge and skills retained declines to the square of time relapsed! Thus my suggestion of little "training games". I mean this quite seriously, it works very well! And always remember the KISS - principle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber