Missing Trophies

I will insist on meeting the taxidermist that will work on my trophies and ensure delivery of my trophies to the taxidermist. It seems like that will at least cut out one potential weak link in the process.

Do LOTS of research on this subject and seriously consider dip and pack only and bring trophies back home to mount.

And NEVER just take the recommendation of your outfitter. They are almost always getting a kickback from the taxidermist or are involved in direct business dealings as I believe was the case here.

Wow...as a newbie to safari thing, this is good to know. When I go to RSA next year for my first safari, I will insist on meeting the taxidermist that will work on my trophies and ensure delivery of my trophies to the taxidermist. It seems like that will at least cut out one potential weak link in the process.

BTW I don't know who Pieter was but let his soul RIP.

Regards,
I won't say don't use who your outfitter recommends, but it should be taken as a recommendation and nothing more. In the end all of the service providers should be your choice. Whether you get dip and pack done there and work completed in the states or all the work done there talk to those providers long before you leave.

I won't say don't use who your outfitter recommends, but it should be taken as a recommendation and nothing more.

And assume it is a PAID recommendation at that.

And assume it is a PAID recommendation at that.
Yes, If they really push one or tell you that's the only choice. Some just have preferences.

Thanks for sound advices.

Much to learn and research from now until May 2021. Hoping this pandemic will blow over by then.

Man, whoever you dealt with in SA, must have screwed you over properly.

I know you run an outstanding operation Marius but I know what @Royal27 is talking about.

Do your homework and don’t cut corners because it tends to cost you twice as much in the long run.

Wow...as a newbie to safari thing, this is good to know. When I go to RSA next year for my first safari, I will insist on meeting the taxidermist that will work on my trophies and ensure delivery of my trophies to the taxidermist. It seems like that will at least cut out one potential weak link in the process.

Regards,

Talk to your outfitter and find out who he recommends and then come back here and ask questions about them, between all of us there are not too many that someone on here hasn't done business with.

Decided if you are going to have your work done in country or transported back here after you have them do a dip and pack for you. One negative about having your taxidermy done in country is that if you have a problem you are pretty much SOL. Taxidermist here in the US do just as good of a job if not better, yes they cost some more but piece of mind is well worth it.

On my safari I had just a euro done in South Africa and it came out fine but I still had the rest of my mounts done here in the US.

Thanks for sound advices.

Much to learn and research from now until May 2021. Hoping this pandemic will blow over by then.
I don’t fully agree with the advice you were given. I haven’t had any bad experiences thankfully. I’m not trying to contradict the other answers but I think this will add to it. You should start by selecting a quality outfitter and once you have that you should hopefully be able to trust their recommendations. They will point you in right direction because their reputation is at stake and they want repeat business. Also if you choose not to use their recommendation you’re likely on your own should a problem develop. Most of the problems with taxidermy and shipping start at field level with improper field care and improper paperwork. Simple truth is most anyone can take you hunting in South Africa and you will harvest animals, but not everyone knows how to get them back to you. When you check into references ask them about getting their trophies home not just hunting. What taxidermy did they use? Mounted there or dip and pack? Communication during process? How long to get trophies home? Condition of skins after arrived? Email lots of references and outfitter and just make sure everything matches. A wide range of answers or a lot of changes over years might be a red flag. Also email taxidermy for a price list prior so there are no surprises.
I have always had my animals dipped and packed and mounted at home. It saves on shipping and I also like being able to walk in and talk to Taxidermist. Any flat skins I have had done in Africa. Prices are better and quality is just as good, also no dip and pack cost and skins are ready as soon as your shipment arrives home.

I know you run an outstanding operation Marius but I know what @Royal27 is talking about.

Do your homework and don’t cut corners because it tends to cost you twice as much in the long run.

Eric, the point is that there are outfitters out there that back their product. Likewise for taxidermists in Africa. There are some very good Taxidermists in Africa, and not so good ones, but generalizing to a new African hunter is somewhat unfair, in my opinion.
Just like saying that all South African hunts are not fair chase.
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Man, whoever you dealt with in SA, must have screwed you over properly.

No Marius, not on taxidermy, I was never screwed there in Africa

I'm saying clients should beware very matter of factly. It happens and it happens regularly that recommendations are made based on financial interest. I'm not even saying I have a issue with it, but it needs to be understood. It's paid "advertising " no different than anything else. And I wouldn't allow an outfitter to influence my decision on taxidermy anymore than I'd allow someone like Boddington to influence what kind of ammo or gun I use, simple as that.

Clients have a habit of assuming that all outfitters have their best interests at heart always and this simply isn't always the case.

You're one of the good ones. No doubt. None. You aren't who I'm warning about, but it certainly doesnt mean that the warning doesnt need to be made.

Last edited:
@KMG Hunting Safaris, you are 100% correct. Just because I had a bad experience doesn’t mean I should paint every outfitter with the same brush.

It is just a warning! Having worked in hospitals, I know for a fact all care is not equal! Not by a long shot. It’s good to ask questions! Everyone should look and compare work done and levels of services offered.

This

@KMG Hunting Safaris, you are 100% correct. Just because I had a bad experience doesn’t mean I should paint every outfitter with the same brush.

It is just a warning! Having worked in hospitals, I know for a fact all care is not equal! Not by a long shot. It’s good to ask questions! Everyone should look and compare work done and levels of services offered.

And this

If new guys, or old guys for that matter, dont take warnings and trust implicitly then they get what they deserve when it doesnt work out.

Caveat emptor.

There were signs and rumblings over time ....

As far as the reports go you're right, there were many good ones. There were a few negative ones too. There were also ones that it seemed to be more interesting with what wasn't in them, or small comments made. And most PP customers seemed to be first timers and didn't go back. Yes, there were certainly some repeat customers but most seemed to go elsewhere for that second trip.

And mostly good reports sure doesn't mean all customers were satisfied. Its not easy to write a negative report here. Trust me, I know! :eek: I still believe they should be written by the way, with facts. Perspective clients have a right to see the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Reasons someone would keep their mouth shut over a bad experience:
  1. Fear of getting roasted by the "satisfied customers" loyal to the brand
  2. Too prideful to admit they hadn't made the best choice and that they "got suckered"
  3. Truly not understanding that they hadn't gotten what they should have (back to being a first timer without experience)
  4. Combination of any of the above
At the end of the day it certainly doesnt seem like PawPrint Safaris will continue to do business, but if it does, BUYER BEWARE.
All true.

Regards,
My experience with Pieter's taxidermist was well, bad. I met the taxidermist several times, visited his business at least once, he seemed like a good guy, getting started in the industry. My guess is that something went really south for him. But that still leaves me with a small giraffe hide instead of the huge one I shot, that is loosing hair and generally in bad shape. Don't worry I compared photos with the hide.

Johnny,
I did not write a hunt report after our 2018 trip with Paw Print, maybe I should have, but honestly it never felt like a "hunt". It seems a bit ill on my part to do so now considering Pieter's passing. I had no problems with him, he treated us fairly and all our animals arrived here in the states just fine. Our problems came with the hunting, or maybe what I should call shooting fish in a barrel. Just not my style and it did not sit well with my wife. The accommodations were so so. The cook, Claudius was a great guy from Zimbabwe and was thrilled that I could speak a bit of Shona. Dogs barking all night long made it hard to sleep. When we arrived in camp there was already a group of people there from Norway, really nice folks. The first moment they had without any of Pieter's people around, they gave us the low down and were not happy with the outfit and would not be back again. Small properties, being asked if I wanted to shoot animals in small enclosures. A tracker that, though a great guy that I got along with, could not track a Mastodon in a fresh snow.
The items that really made me uneasy about Pieter and our so called PH were the issues concerning our interactions with Stephen our tracker. I would get out and open gates, speak to Stephen as if he was a human being, laugh and crack jokes, generally treat him like I would anyone else. That did not sit well with the PH, to bad I gave no shits. When I was first introduced to Stephen he was wearing tattered tennis shoes. One day coming back to camp I had our PH stop at the sporting goods store and got Stephen a decent pair of boots. I found out later that the PH told Pieter that Stephen had pestered me to buy him the boots, that was an outright lie, he never knew what we were doing. Pieter took the cost of the boots out of Stephens pay. Fine give the money back to me, don't stick it in your damn pocket.
Our PH never sent us the photos he took, like he promised. I too had seen many good reports here and even spoke with Paw Prints US rep and all sounded good. It just was not hunting by my standards. The final straw was being driven around and around the property surrounding Pieter's new home for 3 days in a row chasing the only 2 Gemsbok on the property. Drove the same roads endlessly, saw the same 6 Zebra several times a day, it was like Groundhog day. We did work our asses of and finally on the last day caught both Gemsbok out in the open.
Best thing that came out of our trip is our continuing friendship with Stephen. We Whats app each other weekly and last year in Johannesburg he and his family were able to come to the City lodge hotel and spend the evening with us on our way to Zimbabwe. We got he and his family a couple of rooms and took them to dinner. It was a treat to see his kids really enjoying the meal, their reactions told me it was something they did not do often. The trip was not a total write off, but if I could go back we would have spent the money elsewhere, as long as I could have still crossed paths with Stephen.

John
P.S. The reason I keep referring to the PH, as the "so called PH"was his constant bragging about how good he was. Told me of the time he spent in Zim, and Moz. as an appy. Then promptly turns around and brags how he has never had to carry a gun while being a PH. You show me an appy PH in ZIm or Moz that does not have to carry a gun. I got a talking to on our first trip to Zim for walking away without my rifle. Sorry if this is off topic for this thread, just finally got to the point where I needed to get this off my chest. I have never referred to this particular trip as a hunting trip when talking to others about it. I call it a shooting trip.
Sending PM

I trusted the recommendation of my outfitter, and I got totally screwed. I received mediocre work, paid too much, and in the end the outfitter washed their hands and sided with the taxidermist. The taxidermist, basically wiped their a$$ with what I received and just didn't cared to fix anything. I tell everyone, bring those trophies home.

There are many GOOD, RELIABLE Taxidermists in RSA... I will recommend the ones that I have personally used. Although being a local resident, I had need of additional assistance from various Taxidermists when I moved to Brazil in 2005 and needed documentation for the expirt/import pernits/CITES etc.
In some cases the trophies were done 11 years previously, but ALL paperwork was compiled and I sent off the trophy container to Brazil.
More importantly, 3,5 years later I had to return to RSA and had NO HASSLES with re-importation.
The main players here were:
Lifeform, in Whiteriver
Bulls Eye in Limpopo and Buck'n Bass, Cape Town.
Of others with impeccable credentials, Derek Robinson(Thabazimbi) and Karoo Art. (Beaufort West).
I am not familiar with any Eastern Cape Taxidermists, so reserve comments.
At the end of the day, it is the Hunters choice... Just be sure of the choices made.

I trusted the recommendation of my outfitter, and I got totally screwed. I received mediocre work, paid too much, and in the end the outfitter washed their hands and sided with the taxidermist. The taxidermist, basically wiped their a$$ with what I received and just didn't cared to fix anything. I tell everyone, bring those trophies home.

Yours was a very special case of :A Shit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeraMadira

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.