Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey folks, just returned from Sonora Mexico for my third attempt at desert mule deer, as pictured not what you would expect to take in Sonora but when the deer jumps up and runs and have no time to really look at it and when the guide says shot!!! You shoot. Was the last day of hunting and deer movement was horribly bad. No one else saw a buck in 6 days…Disappointed but with two unsuccessful attempts at least I punched my tag. Still haven’t decided weather to mount it. Hopefully I can return and try for a bigger boy and add coues deer.

D6622D9E-2288-40F2-9AD1-E7D483F15BD5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
all here would be happy and satisfied to be able to shoot such a good deer.
Good hunting ! Waidmannsheil !
How was the security situation ?

On 3rd try, take what comes on last day for sure !

He looks like a trophy to me! Any animal taken fair chase, and you hunted hard for it, is a trophy. I think you hang him on the wall. Congratulations to you!

That’s what the program usually looks like in Sonora. Quick shots with very little time to judge for trophy quality. Lots of coyote damage to the deer population over there with almost no predator control whatsoever.

Be thankful you got a decent Mule deer and think hard about going back with them as things will more than likely stay the same.

Just my 2 cents from hunting there 3 times with 3 different outfitters and seeing the shit show first hand…By the way I speak fluent Spanish and was able to get the inside scoop from the local gauchos.

HH

JJ, hope you are doing well brother. That is a beautiful muley with some mass to his antlers. Congratulations on your success. They say third time is the charm. LOL!!!!

Very nice deer !

Sorry you are disappointed. Congratulations on getting a buck.
I hope you get your dream deer next time.

Last edited:
I totally understand where your coming from. Sounds like a very tough hunt. We've all seen some of the pics of big wide mulies from Mexico. I guess the question to ask is would you of killed this deer if you had 10 minutes to look him over? The answer to that may help with the decision about whether or not to mount him. I'm glad you were able hunt. Sorry it was so tough.
Bruce

I have been thinking of a Sonora desert mule deer hunt. I am a bit ambivalent - not because of 'security' (I have traveled over much of Northern Mexico and Baja), but I am concerned about the quality of the hunt v. prices.

@johnnyblues, I know that‘s not what you expect or hope for out of Mexico mule deer hunt, but still not too shabby a buck. Beware of getting into Coues deer hunting. It’s a totally different hunt than any other deer hunt I’ve been on. A game of patience, requiring good glass for spotting and solid shooting skills. Once you get into it and get the hang of it, it’s addicting. Ask @Bullthrower338 and I think also @WAB is another Coues nut.

@johnnyblues, I know that‘s not what you expect or hope for out of Mexico mule deer hunt, but still not too shabby a buck. Beware of getting into Coues deer hunting. It’s a totally different hunt than any other deer hunt I’ve been on. A game of patience, requiring good glass for spotting and solid shooting skills. Once you get into it and get the hang of it, it’s addicting. Ask @Bullthrower338 and I think also @WAB is another Coues nut.

This man knows of what he speaks! Coues are totally addictive. The amount of money I’ve put into gear for these rascals is embarrassing. BEWARE!!!

Thanks for sharing. This kind of thing has kept me from chasing mule deer in Mexico. However, Coues are a different story! Find a good outfitter and go! You will return! They are highly addictive and they will kick your butt too. You will probably see one that will haunt you after giving you the slip.

all here would be happy and satisfied to be able to shoot such a good deer.
Good hunting ! Waidmannsheil !
How was the security situation ?
Seemed ok…..but to be honest I was really happy to cross the border!

I totally understand where your coming from. Sounds like a very tough hunt. We've all seen some of the pics of big wide mulies from Mexico. I guess the question to ask is would you of killed this deer if you had 10 minutes to look him over? The answer to that may help with the decision about whether or not to mount him. I'm glad you were able hunt. Sorry it was so tough.
Bruce
Definitely would not have pulled the trigger….That being said I’m torn if I should mount him…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,