Merkel 500 ne

I don’t own a double rifle, but if I were on the market…Merkel would be off the list with after-sales service like this. Shameful.
It is a shame, but it doesn't make them bad rifles. Almost like the CZ of doubles. If you can put a little bit of work into them, they are very reliable, but after sales service is non existent. This can be fixed if you have a good gunsmith.
My friend got zero after sales service from Heym on his damaged rifle straight out of the box. Heym blamed the retailer, retailer blamed the manufacturer.
Personally, I don't have time for the back and forth. Just get it done myself.

Hi Daniel. It’s a Merkel that they are not fixing. The Krieghoff 470 is great. If that’s what u mean by K’s.
Thank you sir .. I understand
Just hate to hear anyone's misfortune .. regardless of mfr, they are not inexpensive by any means.

Friend of mine's Heym doubled straight out the box. Last I heard was around 2 years and they still hadn't done anything towards fixing it.

Well that's upsetting to hear! Sounds like Verney Carron would be a better choice then.

-matt

It is a shame, but it doesn't make them bad rifles. Almost like the CZ of doubles. If you can put a little bit of work into them, they are very reliable, but after sales service is non existent. This can be fixed if you have a good gunsmith.
My friend got zero after sales service from Heym on his damaged rifle straight out of the box. Heym blamed the retailer, retailer blamed the manufacturer.
Personally, I don't have time for the back and forth. Just get it done myself.
it is now my absolute favorite rifle! but that was only after i gave it to JJ Perodeau to make it perfect. shoots like a dream within 1.5 inches

the price also included the rifle milled for my red dot sight

Well that's upsetting to hear! Sounds like Verney Carron would be a better choice then.

-matt
Doesn't make it a bad rifle, Matt. These things happen.

JJ told me the sear

completely eliminated a double discharge but found it was broken a lot and just needed to be fixed. it was a small charge and problem fixed. i would not take any of my DRs to a local gun smith…take it to an expert who knows them like JJ or Ken Owen
Perhaps a novice question but with regards to the function of the action (ie not the regulation) what differs between a double rifle and a common or garden side by side boxlock or sidelock shotgun?

Always loved the Krieghoff double rifle.

Not that there's anything wrong with owning several double rifles, but what will a 500NE do that a 470NE can't? Is there an inherent advantage to the half incher?
Agreed not much difference. I bought the 500 first. But decided to get a Krieghoff because the de-cocking feature made it safer wen guiding in thick bush. I have a 450/400 Merkel as well it’s the most recent addition, it seems very effective with good Bullets, I can fire faster follow up shots because of less recoil.

I always thought, 470 & Africa Were Ubiquitous .. perhaps not?

500's seemed a little harder to find, someone here did an interesting wright up on it.

I always thought, 470 & Africa Were Ubiquitous .. perhaps not?

500's seemed a little harder to find, someone here did an interesting wright up on it.
I'd like to know what's the easiest to find when it comes to a rimmed DG ammo in Africa. I've always been told it's the 470NE.

Personally I believe the 500/416NE would be a real gem to own and shoot. I know ammo is scarce but having a modern performing rimmed cartridge in a Krieghoff BF or Blaser S2 would be a dream.

BeeMaa, I just bought a Krieghoff 500/416
I shot 26 rounds in a row. Then a few days ago 15 more. It’s a pleasure to shoot
@Red Leg has a Blaser S2 in a 500/416 that is a incredibly accurate as well. Although he did say it's much closer to the 470NE in terms of recoil vs the 416RIGBY (or any 416 caliber rimless) that it was designed to replicate in terms of ballistics.

@Red Leg has a Blaser S2 in a 500/416 that is a incredibly accurate as well. Although he did say it's much closer to the 470NE in terms of recoil vs the 416RIGBY (or any 416 caliber rimless) that it was designed to replicate in terms of ballistics.
I said that? My S2 is quite a bit tamer than my .470. I likely was typing after a third scotch. :oops:

I'd like to know what's the easiest to find when it comes to a rimmed DG ammo in Africa. I've always been told it's the 470NE.

Personally I believe the 500/416NE would be a real gem to own and shoot. I know ammo is scarce but having a modern performing rimmed cartridge in a Krieghoff BF or Blaser S2 would be a dream.
I'll attest: There's something to that S2 I'm drawn. Cabella's put it down compared to the Merkel's 20 yrs ago during the renaissance. Strange salespeople I recall, a little stuffy, not very friendly ...

I thought @Kevin Peacocke, or someone mentioned 470 Ammo becoming harder to come across in SA? .. or elsewhere. .. I may be way off

Last edited:
blaser s2.jpg

Last edited:
I said that? My S2 is quite a bit tamer than my .470. I likely was typing after a third scotch. :oops:
I know for certain you mentioned the 500/416 being much closer in recoil than any .416 caliber...scotch or not.

If it's not the case, it make it even harder for me to be without one. LOL.

The Krieghoff has a sharp edge to the rear trigger guard. I called Krieghoff in PA on the regulation ammo. And while talking to a gunsmith he recommended a rubber bumper they make. It’s being shipped.
But the recoil to the shoulder feels less than my browning 7 Rem mag. Weight and stock I would imagine

IMG_2306.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Krieghoff has a sharp edge to the rear trigger guard. I called Krieghoff in PA on the regulation ammo. And while talking to a gunsmith he recommended a rubber bumper they make. It’s being shipped.
But the recoil to the shoulder feels less than my browning 7 Rem mag. Weight and stock I would imagine
Krieghoff's customer service is pretty impressive.

Splitting hairs on available Ammo, mfr's etc. Just want to see someone acquire their desired Double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.