www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
I have an intermediate Mauser action that I need to drill & tap (#8 screw) for scope mount bases. I am looking for a scope base jig with bushings, drill carbide bit and tap. Wheeler, B square and a couple of other companies use to make them, but none seem to be available now? Can anyone help me.

I have decided to try and pick up a 1 piece weaver base for 98 larger ring mauser & modify it until it is similar to the discontinued B-square/Wheeler Mauser scope base drilling jig. I wonder why both companies discontinued the similar or identical ones that they were making. It certainly could not have been because they were selling so many that they got tired of making money? Maybe they did not work that well?

Attachments

• Screenshot (291).png
    Screenshot (291).png
    467.5 KB · Views: 352
  • Screenshot (292).png
    Screenshot (292).png
    179.3 KB · Views: 314
I have a Forster. Used to use it a lot 25plus yrs. ago. Not much call for it now which is why I imagine the other companies quit production.

I also have one of the Forster's and it is a nice piece of kit that can be used to drill and tap most actions. I also us it to set up my irons. However since I bought a mill I don't use it as much.

Will there was one complete like new on ebay, but my agent in the states slept through the auction and I was not successful. There is another one with stuff missing. I may by it or go ahead and buy a forster. I just hate to pay that much for something that I will use so seldom. If I was in the states I would just send the rifle to a quality gunsmith, but here!!!!

Can you find someone with a Bridgeport milling machine somewhere in Zim?

We have one or two talented machinists here. Part of the problem is they are a long ways away and getting them to actually complete a job is a story in its self. I also like to do my own work it is just that I am lacking in certain tools such as the jig. While the auction for the B-Square jig was going on Brownells had a sale on Forster Jigs, I decided when I lost out in the auction I would go ahead and buy a Forster. Now they are out of stock! Aaagghh!

We have one or two talented machinists here. Part of the problem is they are a long ways away and getting them to actually complete a job is a story in its self. I also like to do my own work it is just that I am lacking in certain tools such as the jig. While the auction for the B-Square jig was going on Brownells had a sale on Forster Jigs, I decided when I lost out in the auction I would go ahead and buy a Forster. Now they are out of stock! Aaagghh!
Well, that kills the machine shop idea. There are ways to win on ebay that your agent was unaware. Even though an auction may have a bid increment of twenty five cents or higher, one can win an auction with a penny bid over the previous bid. That and there's no need to bid at the end of an auction doing the same thing. I sent you an email. Have you checked those Mauser sites?

For a one-off job, just use a one-piece base as a guide. Fox it to the recover with a couple of drops of "super glue" , center punch through the screwholes and drill.

A fixture for holding the receiver in a vice is easy to make.

ahblockact.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I am trying to get both a 1 piece base and a 2 piece base out of RSA. I will use your method using the 1 piece base, then go to the 2 piece base for actual use. This .404J will be used as a client rifle, I do not personally use a scope, but this gives me the option of using a scope, reflex or iron sights.

Hogpatrol asked if I had checked the Mauser site, the answer is yes. Eventually I will end up with a Forster Jig new or used, none available at this time.

Yeah!! There were two of the B-squares on ebay one complete and one incomplete. I lost out on the complete one (now I know a lot more about bidding on ebay)!! I did get the second one, it is missing the pilot guides, but it uses the Forster which I can order here and there. If anyone has a Forster Jig that they want to sell I am in the market. At present there are none available.

More and more PHs are going to reflex sights some are using Mauser's that never were drilled and tapped for scope mounts, now I can drill just the receiver put on a single Weaver style mount on the receiver ring.

I want to thank all of you for the suggestions and help you gave me on where to look for this jig. As I went through every web site that I could find, I found that 90 % of everything being made today is for AR-15 platform! Times change!

Hi Lon,

For reflex sights, you could try the below which was my solution when I wanted to put an optic on a mauser action which was not drilled and tapped and my eyesight sucks too badly for irons.

I ended up using a mounting block from JP Enterprizes (fits the Leupold Delta Point, Delta Point Pro, Shield RMS, Shield SMS, and Redfield Accelerator maybe others) and can be machined to fit in a dovetail (Perhaps if you remove your irons you will have a handy dovetail, often can be drifted out)

Block where the base is machined to fit your dovetail (https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-GS)

LRn5JDv.jpg

Then with the adapter plate, sits on top of the block (https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=ARR-JP/DR)

eqt5wy7.jpg

It will accomodate sights with the Docter pattern footplate (Docter / Noblex, Leica, Kahles, Burris Fastfire and possibly some others I'm missing)

I swapped out my express V at the back of my 9.3x62 for a reflex red dot sight, started with a Burris Fastfire but swapped to a Leica Tempus for the smaller dot.

Original folding rear express sight in dovetail

WgW1I44.jpg

Block milled to fit dovetail with adapter plate for Docter footprint optics:

9CAYwYk.jpg

(Sorry is rather grainy image - make sure smith fits facing forward, adapter plate seen extending rearward)

Image of block with a grub Allen head grub screw drilled and tapped through it. On a high recoiling rifle I was advised this might be a good idea to stop the block and sight walking / drifting sideways under recoil. (Should think this would apply to a slug gun too)

TshYgzh.jpg

Burris Fastfire mounted to block

lQYdyTI.jpg

Overall view of rifle – put a leather cheek riser on the stock just to lift sight like a little agter some shooting.

GyZmc4i.jpg

Really bad attempt at photo of sight picture (Actually looks much better!)

TsuzTnL.jpg

Any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch and will help in any way I can.

Not tried on a hunt yet. Survived a couple of big boar comps and a ~40rd range session at the H&H shooting cinema. Hopefully will us on driven boar in Croatia this weekend.

Scrummy

Attachments

• 9CAYwYk.jpg
    9CAYwYk.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 222
  • eqt5wy7.jpg
    eqt5wy7.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 205
  • GyZmc4i.jpg
    GyZmc4i.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
  • lQYdyTI.jpg
    lQYdyTI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
  • LRn5JDv.jpg
    LRn5JDv.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 180
  • TshYgzh.jpg
    TshYgzh.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 250
  • TsuzTnL.jpg
    TsuzTnL.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • WgW1I44.jpg
    WgW1I44.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.25.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.25.52 PM.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.25.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.25.59 PM.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 208
Hi Scrumbag, that is a very nice clean installation. Since this rifle is being built to be used as a client rifle I want to be able to have the options of changing to the following: iron sights, scope or reflex sight, all with QD mounts. Unfortunately I would not be able to do that with your system, but it is great for the person who wants to use just one type of sight.

One thing I would like to add, a mini mill is in my future! One thing I have learned about the internet if you go to the correct site you can learn just about anything. I try my best to devote one hour a day to just LEARNING, maybe if I would have spent more time in school paying attention I would not have to be doing it at this late stage in life!

Thanks Lon, yes I understand the desire for flexibility.

I'm currently very sympathetically updating a DuMoulin / FN Commerical 404J and going to Weaver blocks as the German mounts on the action seem to be unobtainium these days.

Do keep us posted!

The 9.3 leaves for Croatia tomorrow.

Scrummy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.46 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.49.52 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Forster. Used to use it a lot 25plus yrs. ago. Not much call for it now which is why I imagine the other companies quit production.
Hi Graham, would you like to sell your do you want to sell your Forster jig? Does anyone out there want to sell one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg