Mauser receiver drilling jig, who makes one

One of my buddies that has drilled Mausers suggested a carbide drill. I know nothing about these actions but if they're hardened, that type of drill is a must. I'd probably use a carbide end mill the nominal diameter and go down below the surface hardness before tapping.

One of my buddies that has drilled Mausers suggested a carbide drill. I know nothing about these actions but if they're hardened, that type of drill is a must. I'd probably use a carbide end mill the nominal diameter and go down below the surface hardness before tapping.

No need for a carbide drill to drill a Mauser action, they are not that hard and if you break one off in the receiver then you have another problem that can be hard to overcome.

Pulling up an old thread, I was googling Forster Sight Fixture.

Did it this way for years: A fixture that clamps in the 6 inch mill vise.

cXoreuS.jpg

Always wanted the Forster, finally found one on the Cast Bullet site, it will be here next week.

Made this fixture several years ago for aligning sights when silver soldering. Can also use it for drilling and tapping, I mount it on the vertical mill table, it has both holes for bolts to hold it securely to the table and key stock on the bottom to fit the slots in the mill table.

aC4fdkH.jpg
cbQa9yd.jpg
DwcZKhm.jpg
nf2XYCi.jpg
nl0RS0z.jpg

Sadly I think the Forster fixture is out of production.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rookhawk this isn't Mauser specific, but the Forster jig might be the one to chase down.

The Forster Jig is the only one in current production. The problem is that it’s $400 for the basic tool plus lots of costs for every little fitting and accessory. It’s so expensive because its also an elaborate iron sight drilling jig.

I just need the good-old-standby action fixture to drill scope mount holes for mausers/springfields/etc. They were between $30-$70 when new but haven’t been sold in a few years.

With a Bridgeport, a vise, an edge finder and two V blocks, a good machinist can do it. It's really a simple job, just need the hole center dimensions of the base to be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross