M70 Safari in 416 Rem Mag

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Well, after an enormous amount of consideration, I've decided that my next rifle is going to be a Model 70 (of new manufacture) in 416 Remington Magnum.

For a while I was sweet on the 416 Ruger, but it comes up just a bit shy on case capacity (enough, perhaps, but barely). Then I was hot on the 416 Rigby but, seeing how I've never been much of a fan of CZ, the chambering comes at a dear price (the Ruger RSM being next in line, and while some surface at $1750-$2000, it's a rifle with regard to which I've never been terribly exited...it's the Ruger aesthetic, I suppose, trying its best to come off as British...although, that said, a re-do to 505 Gibbs would certainly pique my interest...people are irrational beings, if nothing else, no doubt).

Anyway, hearing all the good I have regarding the new Winchester rifles, and being a fan of Remington's 416 (a hammer with some reach), the verdict is now final. With all hope, come late summer, I'll already have sent a few down range.

I bought my son a LH M70 Stainless Classic in 416 Rem. He likes it a lot. He's been shooting the Remington Premier Ammo loaded with 400g A-Frames.

Well, after an enormous amount of consideration, I've decided that my next rifle is going to be a Model 70 (of new manufacture) in 416 Remington Magnum.

For a while I was sweet on the 416 Ruger, but it comes up just a bit shy on case capacity (enough, perhaps, but barely). Then I was hot on the 416 Rigby but, seeing how I've never been much of a fan of CZ, the chambering comes at a dear price (the Ruger RSM being next in line, and while some surface at $1750-$2000, it's a rifle with regard to which I've never been terribly exited...it's the Ruger aesthetic, I suppose, trying its best to come off as British...although, that said, a re-do to 505 Gibbs would certainly pique my interest...people are irrational beings, if nothing else, no doubt).

Anyway, hearing all the good I have regarding the new Winchester rifles, and being a fan of Remington's 416 (a hammer with some reach), the verdict is now final. With all hope, come late summer, I'll already have sent a few down range.

Sure love my .375H&H M70. All it does is shoot accurately. Bone stock out of the box, have done nothing to it. Only criticism is it is just a tad on the heavy side for a .375, but likely perfect for the .416. Enjoy!

If I were in the market for a DG rifle I would be looking at its twin.

I looked real close at Winchester and the CZ and it was a hard choice and all things being equal I went for the CZ American,,but had I had a few more scheckels in the budget I would have opted for the upscale Deluxe model I like old school shiney blue and the better stock

Hi CTDolan,

One of my friends here in Alaska, Bob Barnes, (no relation to the bullet company) has hunted multiple countries in Africa, over many safaris.
His rifles amount to a Model 70 in .270 caliber and the same make/model but in .416 Remington.
He is a hunter, not so much a rifle enthusiast like me.

I do agree with him and yourself, as well as others here that, the current and dreaded Pre-64 Model 70 both, are very good rifles for Africa, very good indeed.
It is a shame that Winchester has never seen fit to make a true magnum sized version, with adequate dimensions for cartridges like .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby Rimless, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs, much like Ruger did with their now dead RSM series (a very fine Africa rifle it was).

It would just be icing on the cake if Winchester then would also build these magnum Model 70's with the bolt handle straight down, instead of swept back toward the knuckles on my shooting hand LOL.
(A deep AKA "drop box" magazine would be nice as well but what do we consumers know).

Any way, although my friend's taste in calibers are not the same as mine, one look at the massive collection of impressive heads on his walls, compared to the meager collection of heads on my walls will tell you that the model 70 in .270 Winchester and the same in .416 Remington seems to work extremely well for everything from duiker to elephant.
Success is pretty much impossible to argue against.

On Bob's last safari, he took a hippo on land and a bull elephant with the same model rifle and same caliber as you have settled on, shooting hand-loaded monolithic solids for both critters.
He told me he would not have changed a thing about his equipment.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
i own a Win M70 Safari Express in 416 RM and i love it! the rifle is a tad light when naked (9 pounds flat) in my opinion. but fixed up with a scope the weight is perfect (just under 10.5 pounds).

i put a set of leupold QD rings and a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 on it and will be taking it to Africa with me next month. im not sure ow many rounds ive put threw this rifle (over 500 for sure) but it has held up well to constant use.

my only gripe with Winchester rifles is that their barrels tend to collect copper fouling worse then other rifles. however this just means a little extra cleaning with a coppr solvent.

-matt

Last edited:
(over 500 for sure) but it has held up well to constant use.

my only gripe with Winchester rifles is that their barrels tend to collect copper fouling worse then other rifles. however this just means a little extra cleaning with a coppr solvent.

-matt

A little extra cleaning or 450 less rounds ... two solutions for two different hunters.

Scott

M70 's are excellent rifles and IMHO the best off the shelf rifles available, funnily (actually not funny at all ) my 375 is heavier than my 416 by 400g

A little extra cleaning or 450 less rounds ... two solutions for two different hunters.

Scott

o_O i honestly hope you dont think i only clean the gun every 500 rounds?

Winchester barrels have always seemed to collect copper quickly. usually after just 20 rounds the inside of the barrel is coated in a layer of copper. if you clean all the copper out after each range trip then it seems to get easier with time (sharp edges ware down).

-matt

M70 's are excellent rifles and IMHO the best off the shelf rifles available, funnily (actually not funny at all ) my 375 is heavier than my 416 by 400g

If there both Safari Express versions, I'd guess it's due to less steel in the bigger caliber.

Eat your hearts out- someone just GAVE me a pre 64 M70 in 30-06
Can'y wait to shoot it.

Eat your hearts out- someone just GAVE me a pre 64 M70 in 30-06
Can'y wait to shoot it.

Well I've got a pre 64 M70 in .300H&H that I can't wait to shoot! Someone gave me that too.......of course I gave him a check to return the favor.....o_O

"It is a shame that Winchester has never seen fit to make a true magnum sized version, with adequate dimensions for cartridges like .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby Rimless, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs, much like Ruger did with their now dead RSM series (a very fine Africa rifle it was).

It would just be icing on the cake if Winchester then would also build these magnum Model 70's with the bolt handle straight down, instead of swept back toward the knuckles on my shooting hand LOL.
(A deep AKA "drop box" magazine would be nice as well but what do we consumers know)"

Velo Dog, it looks like you're wanting one of these: ;)

http://www.dakotaarms.com/model76.html#african

I don't even know what Dakota rifles are going for these days. Back when they were new on the market I almost bought an African (or whatever they called it then...I think it was the same) in 416 Rigby (drop box and all, just as in the link above). As I recall the price, with XXX walnut, was $4,500. There's a used 458 Win Mag on the rack at a local gun strore for around the same price ($4,500...Safari Grade and a damn fine rifle, too), but these days (kids and all) such is well beyond me.

"It is a shame that Winchester has never seen fit to make a true magnum sized version, with adequate dimensions for cartridges like .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby Rimless, .500 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs, much like Ruger did with their now dead RSM series (a very fine Africa rifle it was).

(A deep AKA "drop box" magazine would be nice as well but what do we consumers know)"

Velo Dog, it looks like you're wanting one of these: ;)

http://www.dakotaarms.com/model76.html#african

I don't even know what Dakota rifles are going for these days. Back when they were new on the market I almost bought an African (or whatever they called it then...I think it was the same) in 416 Rigby (drop box and all, just as in the link above). As I recall the price, with XXX walnut, was $4,500. There's a used 458 Win Mag on the rack at a local gun strore for around the same price ($4,500...Safari Grade and a damn fine rifle, too), but these days (kids and all) such is well beyond me.

Very familiar with the Dakota rifles.
Yes they are essentially a large Model 70 Winchester but way over-priced IMO.
And they left that bolt handle swept back which is not to my liking on a hard recoiler.
A lot of guys will kick me in the shins for this but I prefer the CZ 550 Magnum over the Dakota.
For a little over a grand in a CZ, you often end up with a shootable rifle.
Now and then one shows up that does not feed.
Then even with Gunsmithing needed to fix it (plus some cosmetic Gunsmithing if you are OCD like me) you end up with a better looking rifle than the Dakota and less than half the money invested.
The one CZ I have that failed me in this way is my .500 Jeffery.
My several others worked fine from the beginning.
Now I have about 4K in the .500 - half the price of a Dakota.
I don't even think Dakotas are available in .500 Jeffery anyway.
And my bolt handle is where it should be, not pointed at my knuckle LOL.

Dolan, don't know if you like the 416 Dakota...

Anyhow, check up this beautiful Dakota Arms Model 76 African Grade .416 Dakota.

24" barrel with ramp front sight, flip-up twilight bead, 1 standing express sight and
full-band swivel base.

Highly figured walnut stock with beaded
cheekpiece, double recoil crossbolts, ebony forend tip, wrap-around borderless point-pattern checkering, inletted rear swivel base, Dakota steel pistol grip cap and original black recoil pad. 13 5/8" pull. Controlled-feed, long magnum action with Model 70-type safety, drop-box magazine and hinged straddle
floorplate. Swarovski Habicht 1.5 - 6x42 Nova scope with 4A duplex reticle on Warne
quick-detachable mounts. Built 1997. Virtually new. With dies, ammunition & paperwork.

For sale at Hallowellco for $8875

image.jpg

A gorgeous rifle, no doubt!!!

I've seen some killer Dakota rifles with amazing wood. The very best, in the used category, seem to land around $15,000. For the above ($9,000...give or take), one can obviously get something very nice. As for new, I've no idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg