Lost Tusks

Welcome to AH Otto! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.
 
Welcome to AH, Otto!
 
Welcome to AH Otto! It is a great site, glad to have you here.
 
Welcome to our forum Otto. That is one great story you have. Hope you eventually find the tusks or at least the copies! Stories like this is what most if not all of our active members love to read!
 
Hi,
My name is Otto Beck. My connection to East Africa (Kenya) is fishing flies. I owned and managed a fly tying company in Kenya for many years. I've never done any big game hunting but did do a lot of bird and small game hunting. I'm presently working on a book of East Africa and the history of fly tying in Kenya. During my research, I've come across numerous legends and stories about hunting in Kenya. An interesting story is about Tusker beer and how it got its name. At one time, giants tusks spanned the archway to the Stanley Hotel in Nairobi.
Tusker dates back to 1922 when the first delivery was made to the Stanley Hotel (without the Tusker name). George Hurst, who with his brother Charles had started the brewing company, was an avid hunter. On a hunting trip in 1923, he encountered a large elephant (tusker) and took a shot. From what I heard from a reliable source, there was a misfire and before he could take another shot, the elephant was upon him and trampled him to death. Later in the year, his brother Charles suggested to the board to name the beer Tusker in memory of his brother and perhaps the elephant as well.

Legend has it that the Tusker that killed George didn’t have much time to celebrate his victory. George’s gun bearer grabbed the rifle (a double barrel Westley Richards) and killed the elephant.The tusks weighted over 200 pounds each and were used as an archway at the hotel. After independence the owners of the Stanley were approached by Jomo Kenyatta's wife and asked to donate the tusks to the Nairobi museum. They never made it to the museum. Replicas were made by Zimmerman but they are gone as well. I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this mystery.
Hi Otto,

My name is Ashley Schwartz, you sent me a very nice collection of salt water flies years ago. They came by way of my father, did not realize they were a gift from someone who knew my grandfather. I would like to connect with you. Please write back.

Ashley
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,930
Members
169,651
Latest member
MelanieBou
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top