Looking for .375 for Dangerous Game... Do They Exist?

You will lose velocity, which means less power. Expect to lose about 30 fps per inch. That means 120 fps, not the end of the world. But let's not forget the time and money spent chasing fps by manufacturers and reloaders alike. It does matter.

That being said, I have a 338WM with a 20" bbl and I am sure it will do fine, just at somewhat shorter ranges compared to a 24" bbl. I won't shoot it past 300 yds, so it's fine by me.

But the H&H for DG, I would not give up those FPS so easily, given that it is considered to be the minimum to begin with.

That's my take on it.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Gee, I have a couple of nice custom .375's that I need to list on AH for sale. They include a P17 with all the dangerous game options, and a Sako L61R out of P.O. Ackley's shop in .357 Ackley Improved. I will get around to shooting photos of these soon...
What is a .357 Ackley Improved? Never heard of it.....

Any thoughts on the CZ 550 Safari express .375 H&H?

Good point IvW, about balance/handling - I agree.

My 20" Ruger Alaskan balances well, the synthetic/plastic stock flexes to absorb some of the recoil, the overmold helps one to hold on and dissipate the recoil - well balanced package. Placement and size of the scope needs to be factored in also. Will one be hunting from a bakkie, or still hunting/stalking/walking down an eland or buffalo? A 24" barrel in Namibia would not be a big deal, whereas a longer barrel in thicker brush could be a PITA.

I am building a .495 A-Square on a P14 action - 21" barrel - but I get to determine the fit and balance by shaping the stock, adding lead if needed, etc.. I already have the scope to mount on it it and determine if it affects the balance. Kinda seems that having the rifle tailored to the user becomes more important at .375 & up?

.375 AI is a .375 H&H with straighter case/walls blown out, and the shoulder moved forward with a sharper angle - the more perpendicular shoulder helps the case retain headspace better/not "grow" as much with repeated firings. The removal of the majority of the case taper enhances powder capacity.

I looked at the Rugers. Kimber Caprivi, and the Winchester. Ended up with the Winchester. Caprivi is hard to find and doesn't seem to offer too much more than the Winchester for the price. Gulf Breeze Firearms had a slew of 375s at DSC.

What is a .357 Ackley Improved? Never heard of it.....

"As I was"... Make that a .375 Ackley Improved.

Good catch IvW

That is a 375 AI......

Last edited:
I have a never fired 375 Ruger Hawkeye African, but you would have to import it. Pm me if interested.

Crosnoe in cape Girardeau Missouri has a couple Ruger RSM in 375 - might look him up. He usually sells on gunsinternational

Americans have the short barrel, and everything else, virus. When I started in archery a regular compound bow was 48 inches, now 32 is pretty common. Every year they push shorter bows, as though it was impossible to hunt a dear unless your bow was an inch shorter every year. Meanwhile there are good hunters dropping their dear every year with 68 inch bows. You could have two guys in the same forest, sitting stands, one with a 68" bow, and the other with a 32" bow convinced he could not be effective if it was 1 inch longer.

Another thing to consider is noise. Guides don't like noisy guns all that much, I don't know if that applies to short barrels. If you knock a barrel back from 25 inches, to 20 inches, the 20 inch barrel will be about 35% more energetic at your nearest ear, and also louder because of the blast. Would not surprise me if it was twice as bad for your hearing. However, that may be a lost cause if you shoot enough.

I think there was less styling in the old days. Professionals designed the guns to do a job, and the people who were using them were more practical. Their identity wasn't caught up in it, except maybe on price. And if you want to see how phony it is, sure the barrels on commercial guns have stayed reasonable, but there are custom houses that turn out 16 inch dangerous game rifles, on the Ruger 1 action. That is someone who felt they had to have a 12" barrel on a bolt just to get it done. This is what takes over people's attention, until they get out in the field. I know the feeling, at least for lever actions.

I've got 22" barrels on most of my DG guns (primarily CZ upgrades). No complaints from me or the dead animals.

You've got a good list and suggested list. Can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck! I've got a friend in the same situation right now as you right now. He's got less than three months to buy a 375 and practice for a hunt.

The Blaser R8 puts the magazine on top of the trigger group. This shortens the overall rifle by almost 4 inches. So you can have your 25" barrel (and the velocity that comes with it) and a rifle that carries like a 21" barrel to make it handy. Of course this all comes at a price...but it's still under your $5K requirement.

I want controlled round feed, and I want a military action. I want the rifle to keep feeding ammo even if I feel like the red army is closing in on me. I want all the parts to be designed for a shooter who didn't want to be there, and didn't want to take up permanent residence there. I want a bolt stop that can stop a run away train...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.37 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.39 PM.png
    814 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
@Nomadx2

you are catching the last train to purchase CRF action for normal price, because since CZ stopped production, prices are coming up.

The issue with this type of action, and why they become scarse is length of action for large calibers (magnum action), and secondly Mauser extractor.
Both things many factories try to avoid to produce.

The trick for proper DG rifle would be to find CRF action on magnum length.
This will allow a better size of magazine, and appropriate weight of rifle to tackle recoil.

On the other hand few factories managed to design medium action and with bit of adjustment make it possible to chamber in 375 H&H magnum.

375 H&H vs 375 Ruger: are ballistic twins, except Ruger fits better to medium action which was the reason why ruger designed it on the cost of smaller magazine capacity (3).

Another thing, in Africa in case you need, finding ammo in that caliber (375 ruger) will be problematic, while 375 H&H are widely available and can be found in any safari camp.

So, available CRF rifles, within your budget are
Ruger hawkeye, 375 Ruger, medium action
Winchester m70, 375 H&H, medium action
Zastava m70, 375 H&H, medium action

On magnum action:
ZKK 602 - 375 H&H (with accompanying benefit of large receiver having mag capacity 6 rounds, plus one in chamber - and this you cannot find today anywhere else)

CZ 550 - 375 H&H.

This two are discontinued, but can be found second hand. Apart of magnum length action ,this two CZ rifles have dove tail on double square bridge, as best possible option for mounting a scope in perfect alignment in a strongest manner. Other rifles listed above ( win ,zastava) - are only drilled and tapped.
Be reminded that ZKK action was once installed on premium rigby guns, which suggests high quality. So system of scope mounting on double square bridge plus magnum action is what makes them different then others.

Optional, New type of CRF?
Sako 85 is made in 6 different action lenghts, appropriate to each cartridge / caliber family.
As per factory, it is CRF (but without Mauser extractor)
Take a look in that rifle, especially in bolt design and decide if it is CRF in your opinion.
Manual operation with this rifle is identical as mauser CRF, and wide short extractor of sako 85 bolt does have a solid grip. mount system is proprietary optilock system of sako, specific double square bridge, and have option for QD scope mounts. It is not classic, but functional.

BTW - rifle for DG. should have QD mounts.

Tam - OH! You want a Mauser! LOL!!!

I agree with the gyst of your length observations. I just find the 20" works better for me - no "fishing lure to catch fishermen/shortest bow of the decade - it works, so I use it that way. Same issue for the latest super short Herculean magnum of the year - each year the gun industry rolls out new cartridges that "everyone must have" to solve...what was the gap in existing cartridges?

Good discussion!

That Blaser does look compact!

I have a Christensen Arms 375 Summit TI. I love it and it is easy to carry all day long. They are around $5K.

Darn! I killed my buffaloes with a cheap rifle!
1895 Winchester in .405 WCF:
51985_600x400.jpg

Oh well. That left $$$ for a nice .405 DR!
66553_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is everyone's thoughts on a 20" barrel vs 23"+ for DG?
That depends on the cartridge. A 375 Ruger with a 20" barrel will give you the performance of a 375 H&H at 24" so, don't dismiss the Ruger. As for which is better for length, that's a personal choice. I have the 23" early Ruger African, it works great for me, but some definitely prefer the 20". Here's some views on it, there's more if you look into the guide guns. https://www.africahunting.com/index.php?threads/66083/

I dismiss the concern of which one is easier to find if your ammo doesn't show. It's pretty rare someones ammo doesn't show up. Four trips for myself, no issues with any luggage. I am not alone.

And keep your eyes open on Gunbroker. It took me no time to find my left handed Ruger African in 375 Ruger. A right hander is even easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois