Looking for .375 for Dangerous Game... Do They Exist?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on the Montana Rifle Co 1999. One of the shops I frequent has a .375 that caught my eye. Nicely stocked wood w/ matte finish on the metal.
Since the MRC ‘99 was brought up… Good rifles. I used one of their actions to build my 450 Watts. They are described as a Win 70-Mauser 98 hybrid design. They incorporated two of Win 70’s best design features- Win 70 old style trigger and Win 70 3 position wing safety. They have the Mauser left side bolt release- no big deal one way or the other IMO. Their CRF is positive but the MRC does not have the Win 70 bolt anti-bind feature. That feature is one of the things that make the later Win 70’s bolt cycling so smooth. I put a Lilja 45 cal, 8 groove barrel on mine and mounted the barreled action in a NOS pillar bedded Win 70 walnut stock. Added banded front swivel and front sight along with an express rear. Extraordinarily accurate and reliable large rifle.

Last edited:
Since the MRC ‘99 was brought up… Good rifles. I used one of their actions to build my 450 Watts. They are described as a Win 70-Mauser 98 hybrid design. They incorporated two of Win 70’s best design features- Win 70 old style trigger and Win 70 3 position wing safety. They have the Mauser left side bolt release- no big deal one way or the other IMO. Their CRF is positive but the MRC does not have the Win 70 bolt anti-bind feature. That feature is one of the things that make the later Win 70’s bolt cycling so smooth. I put a Lilja 45 cal, 8 groove barrel on mine and mounted the barreled action in a NOS pillar bedded Win 70 walnut stock. Added banded front swivel and front sight along with an express rear. Extraordinarily accurate and reliable large rifle.

Much appreciated, fourfive8. I probably should have started a new thread to pose the question. Planning to get back to the shop this week. I may snap some pics and post a separate thread later on. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.01 PM.png
    724.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.02 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 12.51.04 PM.png
    619.3 KB · Views: 71
i have .375 H&H in 3 guns, win 70, ruger rsm, and the whitworth, the whitworth is my favorite and is what i am taking to Zambia in July for Elephant, buffalo, hippo, and leopard and whatever else may show up

Far to much emphasis is put on CRF. Sure, it's great, but there are many reliable rifles made that are not CRF. So I wouldn't let that sway you too much. I personally don't like the Remington 700 extractor, as it's very miniscule.(Although it seems to work for the most part.) But the Sako and M16 style extractors are perfectly fine. The R8 is also not CRF, and I never hear of any issues with it. Sure, the push feed is more prone to double feeding if you short stroke the bolt, but I doubt it happens often enough to really be a concern.
For the Remington bolt, it can be replaced with a PT&G bolt which has a M-16 style extractor.

Well I was successful in finding a rifle. Was able to purchase a CZ 550 American Safari .375 H&H Magnum fancy grade. It has a 25" barrel with 4+1 round capacity. Rifle is new and still in the box.

Now it is on to looking for a scope and some ammo to start gaining some experience with the gun.

Thanks to everyone for their input, really helpful to validate what i was looking for.
Congratulations, sounds like a nice rifle!

Consider the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24. Red dot. A true DG scope rubbing shoulders with Searovski at the very top of the field, or even a tad above. I have Leica, Swarovski and Leupold and the Leica and Swarovski are well above the Leupold. I presume you got the rifle for a good price, so sink a little more into the scope and elevate the whole rig to something special for an African DG hunt.
I have a 1.8 - 12 power Leica Magnus new if anyone needs one.

This is just an opinion, kind of like a.. holes, everyone has one.

It’s a mortal sin to mount a scope that doesn’t have a straight tube! Any flare at ocular end is like a mustache on a super model …. Not for me.

PS. I also feel like my DG gun that doesn’t have QR rings and bases, barrel band sling swivel and express sights is utterly naked.

The wide variety of options and opinions does keep things interesting.

I am embarrassed to admit that these two proven multi purpose rifles have NO scopes, no QD stuff, NO barrel band sling stuff, and NO express sights, yet have provide good service in a variety of game fields in Africa and the USA.
Must admit that a gun bearer would be nice at times for the .458 1886, but when the rubber meets the road, the rifle is worth the effort to carry it.
I do have a leather strap with loops at each end that allow me to sling a shotgun or most any action rifle.

51985_600x400.jpg
52608_600x400.jpg

.405 WCF that shoots 300 and 400 grain bullets at appropriate velocities.

I happen to have a Ruger African Express Magnum in 375HH but has been bored to accept 375 Wby so it will chamber and fire both cartridges accurately. The 375 HH brass when fired thru it will need to be ran thru full sizing die to reload. The point is that the 375 Wby is a hotter cartridge and gets you another 150 fps and more energy. You can run the HH on large NDG and the Weatherby on the dangerous game.

Was thinking of posting here or on another auction forum....

I am embarrassed to admit that these two proven multi purpose rifles have NO scopes, no QD stuff, NO barrel band sling stuff, and NO express sights, yet have provide good service in a variety of game fields in Africa and the USA.
Must admit that a gun bearer would be nice at times for the .458 1886, but when the rubber meets the road, the rifle is worth the effort to carry it.
I do have a leather strap with loops at each end that allow me to sling a shotgun or most any action rifle.

View attachment 456230View attachment 456231
.405 WCF that shoots 300 and 400 grain bullets at appropriate velocities.
Box magazine is QD..
Tang sight is QD...

Far to much emphasis is put on CRF. Sure, it's great, but there are many reliable rifles made that are not CRF. So I wouldn't let that sway you too much. I personally don't like the Remington 700 extractor, as it's very miniscule.(Although it seems to work for the most part.) But the Sako and M16 style extractors are perfectly fine. The R8 is also not CRF, and I never hear of any issues with it. Sure, the push feed is more prone to double feeding if you short stroke the bolt, but I doubt it happens often enough to really be a concern.
It only needs to happen once during a charge.

The chance of double feeding due to short stroking IS WHY CRF action is desired on a DG gun

It only needs to happen once during a charge.

The chance of double feeding due to short stroking IS WHY CRF action is desired on a DG gun
I'll let you explain to me how short stroking a PF is the fault of the rifle. And how short stroking a CRF will result in properly feeding the next cartridge.

I'll let you explain to me how short stroking a PF is the fault of the rifle. And how short stroking a CRF will result in properly feeding the next cartridge.
#1 I never claimed it was the fault of the rifle. Stop making things up. It is the fault if an excited/panicking hunter being in too much of a hurry under stress.

#2 One of the advantages of CRF (but not not the only) is that it makes it much more likely that a excited/panicking hunter will cause a jam by short stroking the bolt under stress. This is common knowledge and the main reason ghat CRF is highly desired on DG guns… but feel free to believe otherwise.

Happy Hunting to you

My choice - Look for a good condition second hand BRNO ZKK602 in .375 H&H Magnum. Preferably a pre '72 version with the pop up peep sight in the receiver.

If limited to currently manufactured rifles, I'd go for a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express.

#1 I never claimed it was the fault of the rifle. Stop making things up. It is the fault if an excited/panicking hunter being in too much of a hurry under stress.

#2 One of the advantages of CRF (but not not the only) is that it makes it much more likely that a excited/panicking hunter will cause a jam by short stroking the bolt under stress. This is common knowledge and the main reason ghat CRF is highly desired on DG guns… but feel free to believe otherwise.

Happy Hunting to you
I'm not trying to bait you or get under your skin. The facts are that if a hunter short strokes a CRF they will re-chamber the empty cartridge or eject the empty and fail to pick up a fresh one. On a PF, yes a double feed is possible along with the same issues a CRF could have. None of these are desirable outcomes and that is my point...it has nothing to do with the type of action, but how it is used.

If you want to talk about how a cartridge is picked up from the magazine and CONTROLLED into the chamber or how the extractor is larger and gives better purchase...that's another story.

My thread title is tongue & cheek, but the search for a appropriate .375 is like looking for a unicorn!

I have been been looking for 2 months for a large bore for a Cape Buffalo hunt. What I have learned here so far is ...
  • Good cartridge choices would be .375 H&H and .375 Ruger.
  • Barrel length between 23"-25" seems to be recommended for additional compression & velocity.
  • Action with CRF much more reliable.
Have been looking for Ruger Hawkeye African, Winchester Model 70 Safari, & CZ Safari express. Have also just started looking at the Kimber Kimber Caprivi .375 H&H Mag. They just don't seem to exist. Some questions....
  • What other gun manufacturers should I consider in the under $5k range?
  • Have looked at a number of .375 rifles with 20" barrel. Can this be considered for DG such as Cape Buffalo?
  • What else should I be looking for in design, caliber, etc?
Open to suggestions on what options there are for finding a quality DG level rifle. Thanks in advance.
Here is a link on this forum for a Win. M70 Safari in .375

My choice - Look for a good condition second hand BRNO ZKK602 in .375 H&H Magnum. Preferably a pre '72 version with the pop up peep sight in the receiver.

If limited to currently manufactured rifles, I'd go for a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express.
I leave for Africa to try and get a old Dugga Boy with Marius of KMG Safaris on Tuesday. A Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H is what I am taking

Seems to be one for sale two posts up from this one. Problem solved, in the quest for the smallest bore allowed for most DG hunting in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.