Looking for .375 for Dangerous Game... Do They Exist?

You should easily be able to find a very good Ruger, Remington, Winchester, CZ, Kimber, or Sako for your budget - new or used (you'll have a hard time finding worn out 375 barrel).

I'd stick to the 375 H&H

I'd opt for the longer barrels.

Hi Nomad
Didn’t read this whole thread.
Did you find one yet?
I have a good story and a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Rifle is n 375 Ruger.
Went to SA in 2014 and thought I had to go back for a Cape Buffalo. Put the money into the above rifle and then got Leupold to make me a custom VX-3 1.5 X 5 X 20 in a shade of gray that matched the rifle better.
600E73E6-E57A-4A05-B483-AA0022D18947.jpeg

wanted a Ruger in Stainless!
I have Ruger 375 Ammo since I don’t reload.
5 boxes of 300 and 5 boxes of 270 since I was going to use it for elk here in Colorado.
Here is a session at the range.
A1F2CA0D-E4F9-4060-96F3-7D5C878FED01.jpeg

bottom right 375 was first shot with the 270 gr going from 300 to 270. The three in the middle were at 200 yd and the bottom one I the small dot was at 300 yds aiming 8 inches high and it came in about 9 inch down and one to the right!
All of these shots were with the 1.5-5 at 5.
The cross hairs at 300 covered the + I had to aim at for the nine down one to the right.

Tom

Last edited:
My thread title is tongue & cheek, but the search for a appropriate .375 is like looking for a unicorn!

I have been been looking for 2 months for a large bore for a Cape Buffalo hunt. What I have learned here so far is ...
  • Good cartridge choices would be .375 H&H and .375 Ruger.
  • Barrel length between 23"-25" seems to be recommended for additional compression & velocity.
  • Action with CRF much more reliable.
Have been looking for Ruger Hawkeye African, Winchester Model 70 Safari, & CZ Safari express. Have also just started looking at the Kimber Kimber Caprivi .375 H&H Mag. They just don't seem to exist. Some questions....
  • What other gun manufacturers should I consider in the under $5k range?
  • Have looked at a number of .375 rifles with 20" barrel. Can this be considered for DG such as Cape Buffalo?
  • What else should I be looking for in design, caliber, etc?
Open to suggestions on what options there are for finding a quality DG level rifle. Thanks in advance.

For a 375 H&H, I'd buy a new Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. It will work perfectly right out of the box. It's a modified Mauser CRF action and will be reliable, accurate and attractive.

Well I was successful in finding a rifle. Was able to purchase a CZ 550 American Safari .375 H&H Magnum fancy grade. It has a 25" barrel with 4+1 round capacity. Rifle is new and still in the box.

Now it is on to looking for a scope and some ammo to start gaining some experience with the gun.

Thanks to everyone for their input, really helpful to validate what i was looking for.

Well, I finally received my 375 that I purchased. It is a CZ550 American Safari in .375 H&H Magnum. Rails for traditional or Talley scope mount rings. Has the 3-leaf express sights (1 standing, 2 folding) with a hinged floorplate magazine and holds 5 rounds. The barrel is 25.4", 1.12 rwist rate, and overall weight is 9.3 lbs.

The stock is what they call field grade Turkish Walnut, American-Style. Fits pretty well when I hold it up, will need to put some rounds through it to get more acquainted.

Gun has only had only 2 rounds put through it and former owner included a box of Hornady .375 270 grain bullets.

Gun is in excellent condition with no marks, scratches, etc. Essentially new condition. Should be well set-up for both DG & PG.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Now it is off to looking for a scope.

IMG_20220306_082703.jpg

Congrats on the new add! Nice looking rifle!

You will not go wrong with Swarovski. I prefer the older PH model.

Congrats! Classic rifle. I very recently purchased a Model 70 in 375h&h and haven’t even had a chance to shoot it yet. Hopefully this week.

I’m also in the market for a scope, but not a big hurry, I don’t mind getting accustomed to the rifle with the iron sights. Swaro’s , while I have not used one, are by all accounts amazing and possibly the best glass that can be found, but you pay for it. I tend to go for good Leupolds. They have never disappointed me and also very high end glass with their upper lines, but I imagine not to the level of Swarovski. There’s also a couple other brands that are worthy options if you like more to consider. When I finally put down the money for one for this 375, it will probably be a Leupold unless I somehow find a smoking deal on a Swaro.

Congrats! Classic rifle. I very recently purchased a Model 70 in 375h&h and haven’t even had a chance to shoot it yet. Hopefully this week.

I’m also in the market for a scope, but not a big hurry, I don’t mind getting accustomed to the rifle with the iron sights. Swaro’s , while I have not used one, are by all accounts amazing and possibly the best glass that can be found, but you pay for it. I tend to go for good Leupolds. They have never disappointed me and also very high end glass with their upper lines, but I imagine not to the level of Swarovski. There’s also a couple other brands that are worthy options if you like more to consider. When I finally put down the money for one for this 375, it will probably be a Leupold unless I somehow find a smoking deal on a Swaro.
I too have never been disappointed with a Leupold scope.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on the Montana Rifle Co 1999. One of the shops I frequent has a .375 that caught my eye. Nicely stocked wood w/ matte finish on the metal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.02 AM.png
    742.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.04 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.40.08 AM.png
    833.9 KB · Views: 70
Great rifle; great find! I might suggest having the action bedded. 1-8, 2-10, or 2-12 scope would be about perfect.

The previous comments seem to make the answer to your question appear quite simple.
So is my answer - a .458 Double Rifle loaded with North Fork Bullets.:
68569_600x400.jpg

Use the express sights or scope as you please.
Take shots from 0 to 200 yards as you please.
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way heavier and longer barrels balance on shooting sticks. My Winchester 375 H@H safari express is very accurate. I carried it 5 hours at age 70 while tracking a buffalo. How long and far is the average stalk on buffalo? Answer: Not vary. True, it’s on the heavy side, but, in my opinion, that is the way it should be. Too each his own!

I put a Leupold VX6HD 1-6X24 Firedot scope on my DG bolt rifle (416 Rigby) and it performed beautifully in Limpopo on buffalo, roan and golden wildebeest.
The red dot is great for buffalo as it gives you instant sight picture against the black hide of buffalo.

Congratulations on your new rifle. As far as scopes, it depends on how much you want to spend. Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski and others that make a range of scopes that fit almost any budget. A majority of my scopes are Leupolds, but have Zeiss and Swaro as well as a few others. For the most part pleased with them all. Never had an issue. One feature to look at is eye relief. A 10# .375 isn’t a brutal recoiler, but I like at least 3.75”.

Consider the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24. Red dot. A true DG scope rubbing shoulders with Searovski at the very top of the field, or even a tad above. I have Leica, Swarovski and Leupold and the Leica and Swarovski are well above the Leupold. I presume you got the rifle for a good price, so sink a little more into the scope and elevate the whole rig to something special for an African DG hunt.

Consider the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24. Red dot. A true DG scope rubbing shoulders with Searovski at the very top of the field, or even a tad above. I have Leica, Swarovski and Leupold and the Leica and Swarovski are well above the Leupold. I presume you got the rifle for a good price, so sink a little more into the scope and elevate the whole rig to something special for an African DG hunt.

Looks like the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 is discontinued. Any thoughts on an equivalent Leica?

Here is a link to Leica's curent Magnus i 1-6x24 line of scopes:

I am also in the process of shopping for a new scope for my bolt action 375 H&H rifle. The Leica Magnus i 1-6x24 is definately interesting. It comes in 3 different reticle configurations. One thing I have noticed with this particular scope is that it is a bit shorter than other comparable optics (about one inch shorter). If you need to slide it further back towards you to adjust eye relief, you may require the use of extended scope bases to bridge a true magnum action like the CZ 550 Safari. At 5 foot 6 inches, this is one of the challenges for me. It is not as much of an issue for taller shooters.

Please share you findings in your search for a scope. I will do the same.

Enjoy the day.
Aardwolf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.09.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.09.51 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.09.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.09.53 AM.png
    651.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg