Let’s see your pup

Hoyt, you had a heck of a day in the partridge woods. Great picture.
Is there anything better than spending time in the field with a hunting dog ?

Hoyt, you had a heck of a day in the partridge woods. Great picture.
Is there anything better than spending time in the field with a hunting dog ?

Up in Northern Ontario where we hunt, we pretty.much limit out every day on grouse... ruffed and Spruce are a combined limit of five, plus an additional five Sharptail. Yes, hunting with a good field dog makes the experience more enjoyable.
20171014_234939.jpg

005 CGN_zpsgkfmmjbv.JPG

Rnovi, Do the Duck Tolling dogs actually call to the ducks?

No, not exactly. They are absolutely hardwired for them. My pups lose their minds when they see a duck. Just put the duck hunting channel on TV and they are completely dialed in, looking all around the house for the downed ducks.

”Tolling” means Luring - they have a very distinctive, playful kind of run. The history of the breed goes back well over 100 years. The story is that when the ducks are way out on the water (rafting, as it’s called) a hunter in a blind would throw something onto the beach (like an empty shotgun shell) and then send the Toller out to retrieve it.

From the perspective of the ducks, here’s this red, playful fox-like critter running around on the beach. The ducks get curious and come in closer to watch what’s going on. Of course the ducks know they can get away from the fox, so they don’t mind at all the fox (dog) running on the beach.

At about 30 yards, the duck Hunters open up, slay a few on the water and then send the Toller out to fetch the ducks.

It’s really funny. I remember taking my first girl, Audrey, to the shotgun range. I introduced her to the gun and got her on my side and she started shrieking and quivering with excitement before I ever did Anything. I pulled the trigger and everything just went nuts. She started looking everywhere for a downed animal.

We managed to get through a few shots and it was crazy, it took a bit to figure out what was going on. As I cracked the action on my Citori, she was following the shells out of the back and catching them. She had a nice little pile of them stacked up and was absolutely thrilled at the game.

Needless to say, she loved birds and loved to hunt…most of all, she loved water and swimming and fetching dockens out of the water.

It’s a wonderful breed.

IMG_5695.JPG

Our Rhodesian Ridgebacks

It's called "Unconditional Love"... No matter how lousy a day you may have, they are always happy to see you when you walk thru the door...

93FCA76A-DD88-4B3A-ACD0-6EF5F414A78B_1_102_o.jpeg

Beautiful and know how hard it is to lose them. I love that look, can't get enough of how attentive they are.
Hurts like hell every time we lose one. We lost two between last November and this January. Both lived long, wonderful lives and were loved. I've had people say "I'm not getting another dog because I cannot handle losing them" - I'm the opposite.. I cannot see going thru life without them!

Hurts like hell every time we lose one. We lost two between last November and this January. Both lived long, wonderful lives and were loved. I've had people say "I'm not getting another dog because I cannot handle losing them" - I'm the opposite.. I cannot see going thru life without them!

I agree with you 100%, and it doesn't get any easier as we get older. My lovely yellow lab Savannah crossed the Rainbow Bridge several years ago. My wife and I have not been able to get another lab. She was such a wonderful family member that it has been hard on us. The two we currently were rescued, and glad we did. Yes, I cannot see myself going through life without one in the house.

Beautiful and know how hard it is to lose them. I love that look, can't get enough of how attentive they are.

Yeah, Labs are special... she was absolutely focused on finding and retrieving game... best weed-busting duck dog I ever had, she could be hard-headed to call off a cripple retrieve, cuz she wasn't a quitter... but she was all personality. I have only had springers since her... my current pup is 11, but still spry... thinking about getting a Boykin pup before Lex gets too much older.

These are our pups. Myrtle is the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. She is 11 years old and has her AKC Canine Good Citizen and therapy certifications. We primarily visit nursing homes and rehabs. She loves people. The border collie is 1-1/2 years old. We haven’t had her very long as we basically rescued her from a bad situation. She learns quickly and is a bit of a spaz!! Both keep us laughing!
72072050876__A4E37906-0A87-488C-AFDF-CF10CF434FB6.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

Myrtle fighting the water dragon!!
IMG_5696.JPG

71927419503__45AA5C99-6B79-4F92-994A-5752A751275A.JPG

Yuppers … she’s a spaz! LOL

Attachments

• 72072050876__A4E37906-0A87-488C-AFDF-CF10CF434FB6.JPG
    72072050876__A4E37906-0A87-488C-AFDF-CF10CF434FB6.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 22
No, not exactly. They are absolutely hardwired for them. My pups lose their minds when they see a duck. Just put the duck hunting channel on TV and they are completely dialed in, looking all around the house for the downed ducks.

”Tolling” means Luring - they have a very distinctive, playful kind of run. The history of the breed goes back well over 100 years. The story is that when the ducks are way out on the water (rafting, as it’s called) a hunter in a blind would throw something onto the beach (like an empty shotgun shell) and then send the Toller out to retrieve it.

From the perspective of the ducks, here’s this red, playful fox-like critter running around on the beach. The ducks get curious and come in closer to watch what’s going on. Of course the ducks know they can get away from the fox, so they don’t mind at all the fox (dog) running on the beach.

At about 30 yards, the duck Hunters open up, slay a few on the water and then send the Toller out to fetch the ducks.

It’s really funny. I remember taking my first girl, Audrey, to the shotgun range. I introduced her to the gun and got her on my side and she started shrieking and quivering with excitement before I ever did Anything. I pulled the trigger and everything just went nuts. She started looking everywhere for a downed animal.

We managed to get through a few shots and it was crazy, it took a bit to figure out what was going on. As I cracked the action on my Citori, she was following the shells out of the back and catching them. She had a nice little pile of them stacked up and was absolutely thrilled at the game.

Needless to say, she loved birds and loved to hunt…most of all, she loved water and swimming and fetching dockens out of the water.

It’s a wonderful breed.
Yes, it works and not just with foxy duck tollers. Last fall during a break after the geese stopped flying mid day, I walked the dogs to a series of ponds to see if we could jump shoot some ducks. Peering through the cattails I could see a dozen mallards and a couple of teal at the far end. Ordinarily I would slip out into the fields and drop down on them over a hill but the farmer had planted canola that was still standing. That stuff is absolutely impenetrable! Even the dogs can't get through it. I got them in a position where they could finally see the ducks swimming. Worked my Lab up and then released her, hoping the flushed ducks would come my way for a shot (little Fr Britt couldn't see the ducks that far away). Ellie took off but only ran half way. She simply will not range that far away from me, no matter what. So back she comes. Okay, we tried. But wait! What's this? I could tell by the way they acted the ducks had seen her running on the bank. Once she was back in the tulies with me, here comes the ducks swimming straight to us in a beeline! When they were 25 yards away I stood up, released the dogs, and shot three as they jumped off the water.

Another time and another Lab. Set up the decoys at daybreak and the first family group of honkers almost committed before deciding to land at the other end of the field 250 yards away. Uh oh! Live geese in the field will screw you everytime no matter how good your set looks. Sure enough next big flock off the river doesn't give my decoys a glance before piling in with the others. Opal is watching them. She looks at me in begging anticipation. "Okay." That's all I said and she was off like a bullet. If I didn't actually TELL her to go after the geese, I guess it wasn't technically illegally hazing the birds. I did try to call her back in case someone was watching ... after she was far enough away she couldn't hear me. The object of course was simply get the birds to move off so my decoys would work. And let my dog have a bit of fun too. Sure enough, Opal pushed up the black cloud of geese, then came running back. And the geese were all hot on her tail only 25 yards off the field! She dove into the brush with me and my first shot into the flock was maybe twenty yards. A honker folded, the birds flared and it was easy picking out two that almost collided for a couple more. Third shot was a piece of cake going away at 35 yards. Fifteen minutes later I shot the fifth bird for a full bag and then let a thousand honkers land among the decoys and feed the rest of the morning. Poor dogs about had a stroke. :D

Hell Yes! That’s Dog Heaven right there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob