Is the CZ 550 Gone or Not?

my two CZ 550,s, a 6.5x55 and a 375 H&H mag are american stocked. i used a CZ 550 in 375 H&H and it did the job on all animals shot with out loosing any on six hunting trips to africa. i was looking for a CZ 550 7x57 when i found the 6.5x55.

DSCN0021 (2).JPG
DSCN0022 (2).JPG
DSCN0023 (3).JPG
DSCN0024 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

In this video they said that the CZ 550 will have a replacement in the future, 2023 for the Magnum action.
That may be the case, but it won't be a CZ550 CRF action.
It will most likely be the CZ557 PF action elongated to accept magnum cartridges.

It does however, look like they will retain the double square bridge and dovetails. (y)

That may be the case, but it won't be a CZ550 CRF action.
It will most likely be the CZ557 PF action elongated to accept magnum cartridges.

It does however, look like they will retain the double square bridge and dovetails. (y)
Well hopefully (one can always hope), they’ll find a cost effective way to keep it a CRF action? If they can find lower labor costs somewhere, they should be able to compete with Winchester and their M70 CRF.

Well hopefully (one can always hope), they’ll find a cost effective way to keep it a CRF action? If they can find lower labor costs somewhere, they should be able to compete with Winchester and their M70 CRF.
It's not likely.
The machinery that makes the CZ550 action is worn out.
The ROI isn't there to re-tool on it or they would not be discontinuing it.
They are going with the easier & less expensive to manufacture CZ557 push feed.

There are still a few makers of mass production CRF actions out there, but pickings are slim.
Winchester, Ruger, Kimber and Dakota come to mind.
I'm sure there are a few others.

It's not likely.
The machinery that makes the CZ550 action is worn out.
The ROI isn't there to re-tool on it or they would not be discontinuing it.
They are going with the easier & less expensive to manufacture CZ557 push feed.

There are still a few makers of mass production CRF actions out there, but pickings are slim.
Winchester, Ruger, Kimber and Dakota come to mind.
I'm sure there are a few others.
Sako, Montana Rifle Co.? Well, that really sucks about CZ. I really like their 550s and have three of them. What are my options now? I guess not many!

For what it's worth just picked up a 458 Lott and it is stamped with a "20" year of mfg., and the factory test target lists a 3.3.2020 test date.

Seems like the factory was at least still releasing units into the supply chain well after those February announcements and there may actually have still been new production happening at that point.

I think the 416 I just purchased has a June 2020 target, it has a 19 barrel with no date on the action. Hopefully be able to try it in a week or so.
I thought the 550 magnums all came with a 25” barrel? My .458WM, Lott and newest .375 all have that length barrel. That’s one of the many reasons I love my CZs!

Love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, especially after Wayne at AHR did his CZ #1 upgrade. I'll never sell it
Well when you upgrade to a .600 Overkill, I’d be interested in your Jeffrey. Ha! Ha!

Sako, Montana Rifle Co.? Well, that really sucks about CZ. I really like their 550s and have three of them. What are my options now? I guess not many!
The Sako 85 action is buttery smooth but it is not a "true" Mauser style CRF.

MRC...there are several waiting to hear about MRC and their possible restructuring.
However their website says they are closed, so maybe wait and see?

All that said, I'm all in favor in whatever action suits your needs.
Be it as a client or a PH, I believe you choose the best tool for the job as you see it.
There are a few PH's that use a push feed action to back up clients on DG.
Dare I say it...with a Blaser R8.
As well as the many who use the BRNO ZKK602 and other styles of actions.

It's your hunt, and you should do it the way you want to.
As long as you are proficient & accurate with whatever rifle/caliber you bring.

The Sako 85 action is buttery smooth but it is not a "true" Mauser style CRF.

MRC...there are several waiting to hear about MRC and their possible restructuring.
However their website says they are closed, so maybe wait and see?

All that said, I'm all in favor in whatever action suits your needs.
Be it as a client or a PH, I believe you choose the best tool for the job as you see it.
There are a few PH's that use a push feed action to back up clients on DG.
Dare I say it...with a Blaser R8.
As well as the many who use the BRNO ZKK602 and other styles of actions.

It's your hunt, and you should do it the way you want to.
As long as you are proficient & accurate with whatever rifle/caliber you bring.
Great points! Blazer R8 (what happened with the R93?), my Browning A Bolt .338? Functions every time and never has had a misfeed (stoppage)? Don’t know? Maybe I/we are putting too much emphasis on a CRF actioned rifle for at least non DG? But how many push feed actions have been used to take DG? I still really like my CZ 550s but I often wonder about a lighter, push feed rifle like my Browning in .375 for DG? I mean guys are hunting DG with Ruger #1s?

Last edited:
Great points! Blazer R8 (what happened with the R93?), my Browning A Bolt .338? Functions every time and never has had a misfeed (stoppage)? Don’t know?
There were some shortcomings with the Blaser R93.
The R8 replaced it with a few upgrades.
However several R93's continue to give good service.
I believe the only parts that are interchangeable are the scope mounts.

A-Bolt in 338 that works every time...sounds perfect for a one gun PG safari.

@CoElkHunter , Sorry when I said a 19 barrel I meant made in 2019, not a 19 inch
Yeah, I didn’t think you or anyone else would want to shoot a .416 Rigby with that short of a barrel? I know I wouldn’t. My 22” barreled .416 Taylor is short enough for me. I actually would’ve preferred 24”, but the price was right.

Yes that would be way too short for me. I tried a beautiful browning safari in 375 today with a 24 inch barrel, it shot very nice. Beautiful old rifle, 1967 and looks new.

Yes that would be way too short for me. I tried a beautiful browning safari in 375 today with a 24 inch barrel, it shot very nice. Beautiful old rifle, 1967 and looks new.
That Browning is a great rifle! Just be careful it doesn’t have the “salt” wood stock. I think 1967 may fall into that category?

I think this is highly unlikely. They phased out also combination guns. Entire production now is automatized, on cnc.
Another thing, the US market is already covered with economic CRF rifle (mauser), that being Zastava m70.
You may want to check zastava-USA web site.
M70 is made in all popular calibers, and for DG in 375 HH and 458 WM.
Not to mention well established winchester m70 rifle, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.