Is the CZ 550 Gone or Not?

Going out on a limb here...
Is it a 458SOCOM?

The .45 Blaser cartridge is one of the forgotten heroes.

It is (was) a German attempt to create a subsonic sniper cartridge.

It is said, development was initiated by the German Ministry of the Interior.

But finally, Germans decided velvet gloves are better than subsonic cartriges for dealing with criminals, and the concept was droped.

Blaser piced up the idea, and offered the supersonic version as a hunting castridge in its R93 straight pull rifle.

Worked great again, like a full house .45-70 Government, but was not a commercial success...... and was discontinued again.

Cases are still available from "shm Sueddeutsche Huelsenmanufaktur"

Sorry for hijacking the thread....

HWL

DSC04563.JPG

R93 in .45 Blaser with a shortend barrel/silencer for subsonic cartridges, and with regular "supersonic barrel"

HWL

View attachment 362209

R93 in .45 Blaser with a shortend barrel/silencer for subsonic cartridges, and with regular "supersonic barrel"

HWL
I’ve seen a couple of used R93s here for sale in the $2,500-$3,000 range, But I’ve read where the bolt can come out upon firing? Maybe just an anomaly?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seemed an appropriate place to ask.

What are ballpark values for factory new (i.e. NIB old stock) CZ 550 Safari Magnums in some of the middle/bigger bores (.375+)? I know they've been out of production, so values are of course well above MSRP at this point, but the data I've found and tracked shows values all over the place.

I know a guy through the local gun shop who claims to have new in box 550s in 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. He wasn't sure of wood grade but thought it was fancy. He wouldn't give me a clear indication of what he wants for each of them and instead bascially said "make an offer". Very annoying, but hey, they're his rifles and he doesn't have to part with them.

I haven't had a chance to put eyes on the rifles yet, so this could be all for not and he could be talking out his ass, but if I were to take a stab based upon the numbers I've seen, I'm thinking somewhere north of $2K (I've seen prices of $2500-3000 in the sales data) is what it will take to get his attention. I'm interested particularly in the Rigby.

Of course, he could want some insane multiple (and at that point I'd just say see you later), but he brought it up in convo and it seems like he wants to unload them. I guess I'm trying to divine that elusive "perfect" offer that isn't a gross overpayment but shows him I'm serious and he doesn't need to shop around for buyers.

Thoughts? I've never owned a 550 or a bigger (>.40) caliber before, so any insight would be great.

The 2000-2500 is a fair price right now. One NIB 375 on GB right now, so that may tell the tale when auction ends of the crazy price or fair price. A 416 Rigby like new also at 1800 with quite a few bids.

Personally, owning a 416 Rigby cz550, I'd rather go with a m70 in a long action/big bore caliber unless you're looking for the magnum action to potentially do more with in the future. I'm glad I got my CZ when I did and paid a the old value as I wouldn't buy one for 2k+ now unless going a full custom route. Even then, some better Mauser actions to start with.

I have CZ550 in 416 Rigby and would not want to try and shoehorn that round into a M70 from what I have seen.

The 550 -depending on which one of 3, 416 magazine box's are in it- will hold 4 down most other rifle will only hold 3 down. Also, as it is a true magnum action you can seat bullets' right out some thing that is not possible in standard long actions. I had a CZ550 in 375 and it was unwieldly as the barrel is same diameter as a 458's but smaller hole in it. The 416 is not a problem. Make sure it has the second recoil lug and two cross bolts in it.

The CZ550 is a lot of rifle for the money, yes you often need to spend a little to tweak them for best performance. However to buy the same ability in another brand will cost heaps more.

I have CZ550 in 416 Rigby and would not want to try and shoehorn that round into a M70 from what I have seen.
A 416 Remington is just about equal though can't be pushed quite as far as the Rigby, but available in a M70.

I do like my cz550, but can't see paying over $2k for it now, let alone $2500+. You're getting into custom build territory and more than a 550 + AHR#1 costed 12 months ago

That said, if you want to build a 505, 500 Jeff, 500 A2, etc, it's a good choice to build off of.

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate the color. I hadn't seen those active listings on Gunbroker; perhaps one (or both) of them are this fellow I mentioned!

I do like my cz550, but can't see paying over $2k for it now, let alone $2500+. You're getting into custom build territory and more than a 550 + AHR#1 costed 12 months ago
Honest question: What custom rifle builds or other quality production CRF rifles in 416 Rigby can I purchase for less than $2,500? And I mean now--today--and not years ago when CZ was still pumping them out and the rifles were dirt cheap. I know there are other rifles and actions out there (Mauser, Dakota, GMA, Rigby, etc.), but they are in a different league in terms of price.

Honest question: What custom rifle builds or other quality production CRF rifles in 416 Rigby can I purchase for less than $2,500? And I mean now--today--and not years ago when CZ was still pumping them out and the rifles were dirt cheap. I know there are other rifles and actions out there (Mauser, Dakota, GMA, Rigby, etc.), but they are in a different league in terms of price.
Production rifles, you may he able to get a Sako Brown Bear in Rigby.
Custom wise, I'm partial to the 1917 action as I've had a great experience with an A2. Actions are easy to scoop up from donor rifles and plenty of parts and any good big bore Smith can build. There are also Mauser actions that will work and you can still find Montana actions though the company is now defunct.

If your heart is set on a 416 Rigby and a CRF action, look for the CZ. Mine at least is a tack driver. However, after the romance wears off with the rigby (Im sure I'll catch flack for that!) You can't go wrong with a 416 Rem or 416 Ruger, Taylor, and more. Plenty of production 416 Rems & Rugers in nice CRF guns

Agree on the M17 action, probably one of the best to base a custom/semi custom build on. They will handle the large cartridges.

Re the 416 Rem etc. Close to the Rigby but you can not seat say a decent solid or 450 grain pill well out so they don't encroach into the powder space. I run Woodleigh 410 grain Soft points and Hydros using the same charge of the same powder with both. Both shoot to same point of impact out to 200 mts-have not tried them past that.

yeah not sure where you will get a semi custom let alone a custom build in a large calibre for US$2500.

yeah not sure where you will get a semi custom let alone a custom build in a large calibre for US$2500.
I think that price is where the 1917 build shines. Alot depends on the metal finish and especially the stock, but looking up some basic parts:
Boyd's stock- $180
Timely tigger- $80
Bottom metal- $100
NECG Sights- $250
Action- $250 (a few just sold here for $150 I think)
Barrel blank- $300

$1200ish for parts, I think not too hard to find a smith to work on,, assemble, fit, and chamber for about $750-$1000. A Cerakote job can top it off for $300-$400.

Can easily add a few more $1ks for a premium piece of wood and some high class bluing.

I'm a big fan of the 550's but if you look at recent closing prices on 550 auctions and not the current bid level prices seem to have gotten a bit silly.

A full stock 9.3x62 at $3076
5 different fancy grade NOS 416 Rigbys from $2511 to $2815
Another full stock this time in 308 at $2510
The cheapest magnum still listed was a used 458 Win at $1425

I'm guessing these will settle back at least for clean/mint but used condition copies. NOS will probably stay steep, only so many to trade around.

The Boyd's stock for a magnum will need to add in two cross bolts and pin the wrist of the stock, don't ask how I know:). I don't know why you would change the bottom metal as I like it how it is, that is just me. The actions are cheap over there you would not get an P14 or M17 action that cheap here but still way cheaper than a CZ550 action.

I would also have the magazine box altered to get the full length use out of it. But yes a cheap but very good semi custom can be done on the M17/P14 action. I mention the P14 as for 416 Rigby case head size you really need the P14 bolt to accommodate it. 404J is about as large a case head as the M17 bolt face can hold.

I'm a big fan of the 550's but if you look at recent closing prices on 550 auctions and not the current bid level prices seem to have gotten a bit silly.

A full stock 9.3x62 at $3076
5 different fancy grade NOS 416 Rigbys from $2511 to $2815
Another full stock this time in 308 at $2510
The cheapest magnum still listed was a used 458 Win at $1425

I'm guessing these will settle back at least for clean/mint but used condition copies. NOS will probably stay steep, only so many to trade around.

Windridge pardon my ignorance but what is NOS?

this last summer i picked up a very nice 550 varmint(only one i ever seem) with removable magizine at a estate sale, made in 04. with a 6.5-20 leupold scope and my reloads its a .30-.37 shooter at 100 yards for 5 shots. my two other CZ-550,s are a still new in the box .375H&H and a 6.5x55 that i hunt with.

DSCN1184.JPG
DSCN1185.JPG
DSCN1186.JPG
DSCN1189 (2).JPG
DSCN0022 (2).JPG

The Boyd's stock for a magnum will need to add in two cross bolts and pin the wrist of the stock, don't ask how I know:). I don't know why you would change the bottom metal as I like it how it is, that is just me. The actions are cheap over there you would not get an P14 or M17 action that cheap here but still way cheaper than a CZ550 action.

I would also have the magazine box altered to get the full length use out of it. But yes a cheap but very good semi custom can be done on the M17/P14 action. I mention the P14 as for 416 Rigby case head size you really need the P14 bolt to accommodate it. 404J is about as large a case head as the M17 bolt face can hold.
If Bob gets hold of this post he will be encouraging you to build a .35 Whelen on that combination.

The 2000-2500 is a fair price right now. One NIB 375 on GB right now, so that may tell the tale when auction ends of the crazy price or fair price. A 416 Rigby like new also at 1800 with quite a few bids.

Personally, owning a 416 Rigby cz550, I'd rather go with a m70 in a long action/big bore caliber unless you're looking for the magnum action to potentially do more with in the future. I'm glad I got my CZ when I did and paid a the old value as I wouldn't buy one for 2k+ now unless going a full custom route. Even then, some better Mauser actions to start with.

When I bought my CZ 550, the basic model in 416 Rigby was going for $1100. One hell of a deal. If you wanted the fancy stock, barrel band add another $1100. I think they are one hell of a rifle. We have a Model 70 Classic, nice rifle, but the action in the CZ is like a bank vault. In the larger calibers, in my mind the CZ 550 is the better rifle (heresy!)

When I bought my CZ 550, the basic model in 416 Rigby was going for $1100. One hell of a deal. If you wanted the fancy stock, barrel band add another $1100. I think they are one hell of a rifle. We have a Model 70 Classic, nice rifle, but the action in the CZ is like a bank vault. In the larger calibers, in my mind the CZ 550 is the better rifle (heresy!)
I got mine for an industry price that was just ridiculous. My dad got its twin and I think it was 1200 delivered to the FFL, 416 Rigby with Aramind stock.

Great rifles and actions to build off of, but 2500+ for a base used 550 is getting steep. However, if there are buyers there will be a market at those prices. Not too shabby for those doubling their money selling them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois