Is South Africa Going The Way Of Zimbabwe?

I agree that Africa has to be left to manage her own wildlife. Foreign interference does not help, and the world should ask Africa what she needs, rather than tell her. But, I am going to take serious issue with your politics. "Demonizing " the leadership in Zimbabwe has more to do with the fact that Zimbabwe promotes a racial hatred that many industrialized countries worked through a hundred years ago. It has no place in a civilized world.

The "Zimbabwe brand" is based on a racist ideology and is therefore flawed. Zimbabwe and Africa are not unique in that the country has to address past historical differences. The difference between Zimbabwe and the USA (I am not Amercian btw) is that Zimbabwe has based their politics on the idea that one race of people is more deserving than another. The USA has an official policy, stated in their constitution, that all people are equal. The racist ideology of Zimbabwe in trying to correct past historical problems does not build on any of the good from the past. It does not promote the best in people, and it prevents a shared development of the country. There is no transfer of knowledge, and no societal growth. After living in a country for three hundred years, most civilized countries would say a group is, in this case the "whites" you are quick to single out, entitled to citizenship. A few people of the ruling class will do very well with the Zimbabwe brand, and most will not. As long as the government of Zimbabwe promotes a racists ideology the country will not develop fully. The proof is the fact that the "breadbasket" of Africa is unable to feed its own population. The failure to do so has nothing to do with the international community as farming is entirely a domestic concern. This is a made in Zimbabwe problem caused directly by a racist ideology that chose not to work with their fellow countrymen.

If South Africa embraces the shared future it will leave Zimbabwe far behind economically, and socially. The citizens will have to work very hard to ensure the benefits are available to all, there are serious hurdles with education for example. But, I am praying for a South Africa that celebrates all of its cultures, traditions, and races. That will be a strong South Africa indeed.
Incredibly well put. Praying with you for the same thing. Most of the people I hunted with in South Africa were from Zimbabwe. They were a wonderful group of educated, hard working people, gracious people. I can only wish them the best in hoping their new country doesn't make some of the same mistakes as their old one.

And Al Jazeera (won't get this kind of story in US or European "news" outlets) reports that Mahlabo is involved in the illegal trade of rhino horn to, who else, the Chinese.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...er-linked-rhino-poaching-161113071410270.html

South Africa's problems are *nothing* like the rest of the continent (or they weren't until lots of blacks started arriving). There was almost nobody in that region when the Dutch began settling it 400 years ago - without sailing ships, one would have to have crossed one of two formidable and largely inhospitable land forms: the Namib, or the Kalihari. The blacks in RSA want something which doesn't belong to them, which NEVER belonged to them. They mostly seem incapable of earning it, so they will take it by force. And having taken it, they will not be able to sustain it.

And ever the fools that we are, we will send them more food and more medicine and more of everything, helping them to produce future generations of parasites.

S African minister Mahlobo linked to rhino trafficker

Al Jazeera's Investigative Unit has uncovered evidence of high-level political connections to rhino poaching in Africa.

The investigation raises serious questions about the involvement of a South African government minister and members of a Chinese presidential delegation in the illegal rhino horn trade.

Of the just 25,000 remaining African rhino, the biggest population is in South Africa's Kruger National Park, where at least two rhino are killed for their horns by poachers every night.

The selling of products from endangered species is banned worldwide, but high demand in China and Vietnam - where the horn is considered a sign of status and wealth - has kept the trade alive.

In Pretoria, South Africa, Al Jazeera secretly filmed a conversation with the manager of a Chinese restaurant who owns a collection of rhino horn bracelets and ivory chopsticks.

The restaurant manager told Al Jazeera that when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited South Africa last December a delegation accompanying him asked to be taken shopping for illegal souvenirs to smuggle home.

"They loved those ivory accessories," he said. "Also rhino horn, but they didn't buy much. They bought ivory mostly."

The illegal spending spree was confirmed by a second source.

The Chinese government has pledged greater action on wildlife crime and did not respond to requests for an interview regarding our investigation.

In South Africa, one rhino horn trafficker bragged to Al Jazeera about his close connections to Minister of State Security David Mahlobo, who runs the country's intelligence services.

"He came to my massage parlour every week or at least twice a month," said the trafficker. "I know him very well."

Mahlobo has denied any relationship with the businessman.

Last edited by a moderator:
778E0324-1.jpg

:unsure: before we go down that rabbit hole, the top prosecutor is black, the head of the party that is the best alternative for the country in black, and there are many blacks in the media who are very critical of Zuma. Conversely, several of the people implicated with Zuma are white such as Agliotti.

So, I think this is more a opportunistic corruption thing and not a race based problem. Zuma is trying to make it race based to obscure what he has done.

:unsure: before we go down that rabbit hole, the top prosecutor is black, the head of the party that is the best alternative for the country in black, and there are many blacks in the media who are very critical of Zuma. Conversely, several of the people implicated with Zuma are white such as Agliotti.

So, I think this is more a opportunistic corruption thing and not a race based problem. Zuma is trying to make it race based to obscure what he has done.

Very well stated.

Brother, I hope you are right, but I will not hold my breath.

I do not mean to impugn all black men, but the free thinking black men... perhaps I am too cynical about it, but the free thinking black men are likely walking around with targets on their backs. Free-thinking black men are rare enough in the US, and they are a breath of fresh air (notably Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell), but they are simply too few. It is my desire that those going up against animals like Zuma and Mahlabo achieve their victory.

South Africa was in good shape when Britain ran things..so was Zimbabwe..Can't turn back the clock to people that have no idea what to do.

Steve,
Thank you for the article, I am an admirer of you work on TV, and your conservation editorials. I wish there was more to do for Africa, but history has shown us that money thrown at her gets funneled into corruption.
We as hunters need to call out representatives, and alert them to the impending doom for wildlife in SA. That may slow political winds of change, but frankly the course is set, political revolution is necessary, and that comes rarely in time to save anything. The loss must be felt for many to do anything. This article was a sad warning to the dim future of SA

once again history proves that african black cannot rule themselves corruption and yes
discrimination 90% of it govermnet its black and still they cannot solve its differences among them selves its inherrited as lacking the w ill to rule equeally and fairly .
Note rhodesia congo and the list goes on .
same thing here amarica in chicago nyc baltimore michigan they all are governed by left wing woke blk leaders of the demon-cratic branch and yes several in the republican as double agents of the left ideology

I have friends in both Zimbabwe and RSA and they all have said the same to me over many conversations over the years and also say that it will take more time because there are still a lot of whites left in RSA.

And sadly, once RSA goes, that's that. If you think that Zim is in dire straits now just wait until RSA falls

once again history proves that african black cannot rule themselves corruption and yes
discrimination 90% of it govermnet its black and still they cannot solve its differences among them selves its inherrited as lacking the w ill to rule equeally and fairly .
Note rhodesia congo and the list goes on .
same thing here amarica in chicago nyc baltimore michigan they all are governed by left wing woke blk leaders of the demon-cratic branch and yes several in the republican as double agents of the left ideology
Before European Explorers first set foot on Sub-Saharan Africa in the late 1500s, Black Africans were essentially living in the Iron Age, with no form of Govt, and no recorded history. They built no permanent structures and had zero technology other than forging metal spear and arrowheads.
There was no need for advanced brain development other than to make simple tools, find food and water, make something to keep the rain off of their heads, and harness fire.... that's pretty much it.

How then can we expect the descendants of these primitive people, only 500 years removed from this lifestyle, to run a modern country when it is/was suddenly turned over to them?? It would be like putting a brand new driver in the seat of a Formula 1 car and expecting them to win the Grand Prix.

Black Africa has Zero chance of survival

The hope for South Africa is seen on the press. Articles like this one pull no punches. People recognize the destruction done by Zuma and want change:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/ideas/2017-09-26-no-saints-in-anc-contest/

No saints in ANC contest

There are no saints in this extremely dirty war that's unfolding within the ANC. Many, such as former president Kgalema Motlanthe, cling onto the vain hope that the "good guys" will set the party right, but they are wrong.

That sort of naive hope mimics exactly what happened in 2007, when even with the malodorous pus pouring out of the Jacob Zuma campaign (stalked by rape and corruption allegations) some still said the "man of the people" would turn out good. Zuma was no man of the people and his tenure has been a nightmare.

Care should be taken this time around, for there are very few or no saints and angels in the pack that's running for the ANC office now.

Take Lindiwe Sisulu, for example. She has crisscrossed the country promising better governance, more focus on the people and a return to ANC values. That's rich given that this is someone who fought vociferously for Zuma to get into power. Once Zuma was installed in Mahlamba, Ndlopfu Sisulu never once raised her voice as Zuma slept on the job, killed the economy and handed taxpayer billions to the Gupta family and his relatives.

A coup happened right in front of Sisulu and she never once said a word as her illustrious family's legacy was trampled upon. Her vows to clean up the ANC and government now are just about as believable as the rattling of an empty can.

Then there is Baleka Mbete, an ANC leader who, for the past 10 years, has failed comprehensively to make Zuma accountable on any issue. One really need not waste time on this candidate - every outrage the Zuma executive has carried out has her fingerprints all over it. She totally eunuched the legislature. The prospect of an Mbete presidency should make every South African quiver with dread.

Jeff Radebe says he will clean up government and set us all on the road to prosperity. After 10 years in the Zuma administration (he has been in government for 23 years) we are expected to believe that, miraculously, Radebe will deliver. Oh, by the way, what exactly has he had to say about ANC policy towards those like Zuma who have brought this "glorious movement" of Mandela and others into disrepute? Nothing. Instead, he has been a willing and even enthusiastic praise-singer of Zuma.

"They ululated and
celebrated as a corrupt Zuma danced and giggled his way to power"

Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has embraced the Zuma administration's ideas, policy outlook and encouragement of corruption. By all means ANC members should vote for her in December. At least they know exactly what they are getting: Zuma with a medical degree - and the Guptas.

Zweli Mkhize also got Zuma into power in 2007. He found his backbone only in March this year after Zuma's chaotic and criminal cabinet reshuffle. For the past 10 years he has been part of the cabal that has suckled Zuma's corrupt presidency. His response to his role in the Zuma rape matter last weekend was mealy-mouthed and lacked credibility and authenticity. His only credit is that he is the man who got Des van Rooyen bundled out of the Treasury in December 2015.

The biggest disappointment of all is Cyril Ramaphosa. This former mineworker leader has an incredible history - trade unionist, democracy negotiator, astute businessman, dealmaker and philanthropist.

In the run-up to the 2012 ANC conference it was clear that many wanted Ramaphosa - but they were not enough to unseat Zuma - who had essentially rigged the 2012 ANC elections by ensuring provinces and branches that supported him were dominant at conference.

Ramaphosa dumped principle and joined in with Zuma. By doing so he gave Zuma legitimacy. The period between January 2013 and now - when Zuma returned from Mangaung - has seen the most comprehensive and astounding looting spree. Zuma and the Guptas plunged their hands into the coffers of state-owned enterprises such as Eskom and Transnet and looted with gay abandon.

Where was Ramaphosa? He was silent. He was silent when the Nkandla report was tabled, silent when Nhlanhla Nene was fired, silent when Pravin Gordhan was charged, silent when the public protector's State of Capture report was ignored.

His silence allowed Zuma to do as he pleased. He failed to realise that his illustrious history has been abused to whitewash the Zuma criminal enterprise. His silence in the face of corruption gave Zuma legitimacy. Until the cabinet reshuffle in March, he never said a word. The price of all that is what we see now.

Ramaphosa's silence endorsed Busisiwe Mkhwebane and undermined Thuli Madonsela; it emboldened Van Rooyen and left Mcebisi Jonas lonely, confused and crestfallen. Ramaphosa may have been a hero once, but he is not one now. His silence has meant that he is just another politician in a shiny suit trying to get one over the electorate for the top job.

If any of these leaders want to tell us they are about change, then they need to explain what they have been doing in the past 10 years as South Africa went from a globally admired country to the politically and economically stagnant, corrupt and compromised entity it is today.

They cannot say they did not know. They ululated and celebrated as a corrupt Zuma danced and giggled his way to power.
Sometimes assassination can be a blessing to the masses?

I stopped at a tiny hamlet in the Zimbabwean countryside--just several huts with family farm plots in the edge of a massive field of weeds. After formalities, the PH asked why they didn't plant more as this was one of the great grain farms of the past and the cities needed the foodstuff. Answer: "they're not my tribe." Add tribalism to the insurmountable problems of racism, corruption, incompetence, inability to rule, and chinese inroads and the whole thing is screwed unless tough love is allowed to take place. No aid dollars at all without proof of wildlife preservation, stop the gun running since before firearms the blacks could not diminish the game as they now are through the bush meat trade, etc. ad nauseam. I wish Switzerland would expropriate the accounts of African miscreants and give a portion to game patrol.

It would be more encouraging if JUST ONE example could be found of competent black rule anywhere in Africa or on earth for that matter. Don't like hearing the truth...tough titty.
Concerning the gentleman's comments that Mugabe's farm expropriations were a success, I would like to see the faces of blacks in Europe and elsewhere kicked out of their holdings and ultimately the country since "they" have no rights there--doesn't sound so good on the other foot?

I stopped at a tiny hamlet in the Zimbabwean countryside--just several huts with family farm plots in the edge of a massive field of weeds. After formalities, the PH asked why they didn't plant more as this was one of the great grain farms of the past and the cities needed the foodstuff. Answer: "they're not my tribe." Add tribalism to the insurmountable problems of racism, corruption, incompetence, inability to rule, and chinese inroads and the whole thing is screwed unless tough love is allowed to take place. No aid dollars at all without proof of wildlife preservation, stop the gun running since before firearms the blacks could not diminish the game as they now are through the bush meat trade, etc. ad nauseam. I wish Switzerland would expropriate the accounts of African miscreants and give a portion to game patrol.

It would be more encouraging if JUST ONE example could be found of competent black rule anywhere in Africa or on earth for that matter. Don't like hearing the truth...tough titty.
Concerning the gentleman's comments that Mugabe's farm expropriations were a success, I would like to see the faces of blacks in Europe and elsewhere kicked out of their holdings and ultimately the country since "they" have no rights there--doesn't sound so good on the other foot?
You are absolutely right my friend since there isn't even ONE black-run Country in Africa that isn't rife with corruption, or ONE Black run city in the USA that isn't a dangerous cesspool of humanity.

Yea I know....we are "racist" for saying the truth

The focus on skin colour misses the truth and is disrespectful of the selfless work people are doing to end corruption in African governments.

In fact, the biggest move against state corruption in South Africa was lead by a black jurist arising out of the incredibly brave acts of a politician who was a whistleblower for corruption in the Zuma government.

The political situation in the various African countries is much more complicated than race. Focusing on that singular aspect distorts an understanding of the situation. For example, the premise that the societies were not developed and therefore people lack the intellectual ability to lead is wrong.

Pre-colonial Ethnic Institutions and Contemporary African Development

Stelios Michalopoulos and Elias Papaioannou

"Ethnic Institutions: Past and Present

There was significant heterogeneity in political centralization across African ethnicities before colonization (Murdock (1967)). At the one extreme, there were states with centralized administration and hierarchical organization, such as the Shongai Empire in Western Africa, the Luba kingdom in Central Africa, and the kingdoms of Buganda and Ankole in Eastern Africa. At the other extreme, there were acephalous societies without political organization beyond the village level, such as the Nuer in Sudan or the Konkomba in Ghana and Togo. The middle of the spectrum occupied societies organized in large chiefdoms and loose alliances, such as the Ewe and the Wolof in Western Africa. While these societies lacked statehood, they tended to have conflict resolution mechanisms and a somewhat centralized decision making process (Diamond (1997))."

What we can all see from colonial history is that those societies with historically more complex political and legal institutions have done better in Africa and elsewhere probably because they could deal better with colonial powers. However, we cannot attribute current political problems to a lack of brain function of a particular race. Its a statement that lacks any understanding or analysis of culture, history and politics. It also ignores the incredibly hard work that people of all backgrounds are literally sacrificing themselves for. Worse, it polarizes the discussion by focusing on a genetic trait rather than the multifactorial issues that need to be understood.

The focus on skin colour misses the truth and is disrespectful of the selfless work people are doing to end corruption in African governments.

In fact, the biggest move against state corruption in South Africa was lead by a black jurist arising out of the incredibly brave acts of a politician who was a whistleblower for corruption in the Zuma government.

The political situation in the various African countries is much more complicated than race. Focusing on that singular aspect distorts an understanding of the situation. For example, the premise that the societies were not developed and therefore people lack the intellectual ability to lead is wrong.

Pre-colonial Ethnic Institutions and Contemporary African Development

Stelios Michalopoulos and Elias Papaioannou

"Ethnic Institutions: Past and Present

There was significant heterogeneity in political centralization across African ethnicities before colonization (Murdock (1967)). At the one extreme, there were states with centralized administration and hierarchical organization, such as the Shongai Empire in Western Africa, the Luba kingdom in Central Africa, and the kingdoms of Buganda and Ankole in Eastern Africa. At the other extreme, there were acephalous societies without political organization beyond the village level, such as the Nuer in Sudan or the Konkomba in Ghana and Togo. The middle of the spectrum occupied societies organized in large chiefdoms and loose alliances, such as the Ewe and the Wolof in Western Africa. While these societies lacked statehood, they tended to have conflict resolution mechanisms and a somewhat centralized decision making process (Diamond (1997))."

What we can all see from colonial history is that those societies with historically more complex political and legal institutions have done better in Africa and elsewhere probably because they could deal better with colonial powers. However, we cannot attribute current political problems to a lack of brain function of a particular race. Its a statement that lacks any understanding or analysis of culture, history and politics. It also ignores the incredibly hard work that people of all backgrounds are literally sacrificing themselves for. Worse, it polarizes the discussion by focusing on a genetic trait rather than the multifactorial issues that need to be understood.
Besides the people/groups that you mentioned and pockets of semi-successful groups spread about a continent 6X the size of the USA...what about the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa?

Of course, North Africa doesn't count....4,000 years ago olive-skinned Egyptians built the Pyramids and had the most advanced society of the time, while Sub-Saharan Black Africans were STILL living as their ancestors did in prehistoric times

No one LIKES calling out the endemic failures of black leadership. Countless thousands have made massive investments in improvements across every country in every century in Africa, which have proven pointless--water purification, mechanization, hospitals, schools, farming and irrigation etc WITHOUT ONGOING MAINTENANCE, and laying about rusted and in disuse. (particularly annoying when it was all taken away from those who did keep it maintained.) It just IS WHAT IT IS and I am not responsible for it. (IN FACT I HAVE PUT IN TWO WELLS AND A HUNDRED FILTRATION DEVICES PERSONALLY JUST SO YOU KNOW) Every pot has to sit on its own bottom. I don't have an explanation for incompetence, but I also no longer have an excuse or a rationalization for it either. Let them do better or do without--it is a black hole (pun intended). I wish it were not that way.

There is such a thing as world heritage, and I for one am NOT in favor of a corrupt Africa being in charge of extinction events.

No one LIKES calling out the endemic failures of black leadership. Countless thousands have made massive investments in improvements across every country in every century in Africa, which have proven pointless--water purification, mechanization, hospitals, schools, farming and irrigation etc WITHOUT ONGOING MAINTENANCE, and laying about rusted and in disuse. (particularly annoying when it was all taken away from those who did keep it maintained.) It just IS WHAT IT IS and I am not responsible for it. (IN FACT I HAVE PUT IN TWO WELLS AND A HUNDRED FILTRATION DEVICES PERSONALLY JUST SO YOU KNOW) Every pot has to sit on its own bottom. I don't have an explanation for incompetence, but I also no longer have an excuse or a rationalization for it either. Let them do better or do without--it is a black hole (pun intended). I wish it were not that way.

There is such a thing as world heritage, and I for one am NOT in favor of a corrupt Africa being in charge of extinction events.
You are absolutely correct!

And can anyone guess which is the poorest country in the entire Western Hemisphere???
It isn’t Guatemala, El Salvador, it is HAITI
Another country which the world pumped BILLIONS of dollars into to try and help the Government and its people…and despite all the efforts, Haiti is still a cesspool of humanity who still practices Voodoo

What’s the common denominator here??

The whole world is in a mess, not just Africa. Prior to Biden and Putin the finger could point a little this way, but I think it would be misplaced today. I have a far more positive and upbeat feeling about Zimbabwe in particular as that is what I know. The post Mugabe error is seeing a dramatic transformation, the people are trying hard and it is showing. Good quality housing is exploding everywhere, the number of small businesses is expanding rapidly too. The real reason I have hope though is that Zimbabweans are good people.
South Africa is a different kettle of fish, it has a lot more baggage to get rid of. Nevertheless I am seeing the emergence of a South African black middle class that is far more in tune with the modern world, it's needs and it's expectations. It is a fair way behind Zimbabwe with regards to race relations and harmony, but it is definitely moving in the right direction.
Progress is not a continuous smooth curve arching upwards, there are ups and downs along the way, but if I have learnt one thing in my life with the African people it is to be firm, fair and honest. Where there is misbehaviour call it out, logically, respectfully. But equally when there is an up praise it loudly and sincerely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg