Is South Africa Going The Way Of Zimbabwe?

Thanks for sharing. It's really great that writers like you are bringing the issues in South Africa to the American public. It is important for hunters to be informed. But, I personally think there are notable differences between South Africa and Mugabe's Zimbabwe. Significantly, Mugabe came up on a tide of animus and used that to overturn land ownership, while Mandela diffused that animus and, in a sense, protected the landowner from the mob.

The ANC did not use those divisive racist tactics like Mugabe did when the issues were red hot, and so they don't have a lot of momentum for it now. In a sense, Mandela diffused that type of social upheaval. Also, the success of the DA in recent elections cannot be overlooked. That is good for South Africa, and her racial minorities.

My betting is the ANC is trying to poach votes from the EFF to keep power, but they don't have the momentum to create new converts to their racist ideology. For them it's a numbers game. Poverty will always create opportunities for revolutionary rhetoric, so that gives the EFF some power, and the ANC wants some of it. Thats how they will hedge against recent electoral setbacks. But if we are looking at recent elections, it would seem South Africans know what they have to do to move their country forward.

The bigger threat is that no one gives two bits for hunting unless they have some connection to the industry, so they are passive observers of changes to wildlife laws; thats how Botswana happens. However, I imagine, if the people of South Africa know hunting pays the bills, and if their leaders don't have interests in photo-tourism outfits, then there will be a political will to preserve it.
Well said, there is hope.

I hope that you are right my friend

For those of us that live in SA the reality is the following : Corruption and incompetence at all levels of government is the norm . All SOEs ( state owned enterprises) have basically failed and are in huge financial trouble ( this includes many if not most state owned nature reserves ) , assets of SOEs have been sold off , nearly all tenders relating to govt at all levels more than likely involve some form of corruption by govt officials , our police and army are ineffective , most crime including violent crime is on the increase , our borders are not controlled and we have millions of illegal immigrants , our judicial system is largely ineffective and compromised by incompetence and corruption , our power utility is failing and we are plagued by daily "load shedding" and power failures ( according to experts the potential is real that the total power grid can collapse ) , our water delivery systems are failing , our infrastructure in general is not being maintained and thus failing , roads are riddled with potholes , etc , etc .
SA has some huge challenges and currently there is no realistic plan in place or indication that things will improve in the next few years , or maybe for many years - this is the sad reality .

For those of us that live in SA the reality is the following : Corruption and incompetence at all levels of government is the norm . All SOEs ( state owned enterprises) have basically failed and are in huge financial trouble ( this includes many if not most state owned nature reserves ) , assets of SOEs have been sold off , nearly all tenders relating to govt at all levels more than likely involve some form of corruption by govt officials , our police and army are ineffective , most crime including violent crime is on the increase , our borders are not controlled and we have millions of illegal immigrants , our judicial system is largely ineffective and compromised by incompetence and corruption , our power utility is failing and we are plagued by daily "load shedding" and power failures ( according to experts the potential is real that the total power grid can collapse ) , our water delivery systems are failing , our infrastructure in general is not being maintained and thus failing , roads are riddled with potholes , etc , etc .
SA has some huge challenges and currently there is no realistic plan in place or indication that things will improve in the next few years , or maybe for many years - this is the sad reality .
Sounds like you are talking about the U.S., which is as corrupt as any country.

That’s what every friend of mine from RSA is saying.

Every white person in the RSA should be thinking about an exit plan ASAP.

I know that that isn’t easy or even possible for some of you but I would hate to be there with my white wife and daughters when it all implodes

I suspect our govt officials and ministers are at another level when compared to yours , regarding incompetence and corruption ours are over performers , and exceed all expectations !
You'd be surprised. Our politicians and government officials have had 250 years to perfect their greed, corruption and incompetence. But I hear what you say.

You'd be surprised. Our politicians and government officials have had 250 years to perfect their greed, corruption and incompetence. But I hear what you say.
As despicable as our (both parties) are, they are nothing compared to African politicians

No coverage is complete without the testimonies of the new South African expats. Man, what stories caused them to leave!
And what of the farmers who have to post their own security forces, band together and fight off the criminal element out on the farms?

Nepotism, tribalism and corruption are the three driving forces of politics throughout Southern Africa. Single party rule by the ANC is a result, which only accelerates the decline. South Africa is the best hope for the continent, but I fear there’s little reason for optimism.

The above link of an SA programme discussing firearms might be of interest if the link works .

Interesting article but I believe the jury is still out. What happened in Zimbabwe is probably a good thing and that it's adjacent to SA. It's a blinding example of what happens when political expediency overrules common sense.
Hi Hogpatrol, I have read your comment concerning the Zimbabwe South Africa comparisons. Maybe I am missing something how is "What happened in Zimbabwe is probably a good thing". Unless there is something that I do not understand, I would strongly disagree with you.

Lon

I think this interview is quite pertinent in this discussion:

We lost our family farm to Mugabe’s 5th Brigade thugs

I’m still searching for the upside

I have friends who farm their neighbours farm as they are not allowed to farm what was once their own

It is now owned by one of Mugabe’s mates who couldn’t tend a window box

I witnessed the ineptitude of the Zim government when I was there in ‘21. A fairly new post office sorting facility in Harare was boarded up and the only sign of life were the pigeons that live there. I asked what happened and our guide told us that the government suspended mail service a long time ago. Just an example.

Everyone there knows that things are far worse for the average Zimbabwean compared to when Ian Smith was President. Tribal loyalties, nationalistic pride and an uneducated electorate will continue to produce the misery that is now a fact of life. Terribly sad.

My Grand dad once said

you own nothing in Africa that you can’t hold by force

not much has changed since then in Southern Africa

What seems to have changed is that now its becoming true in the West in general

Ps - I might delete this once I’ve considered the ramifications of sticking my head above the parapet

Of course none of this is because of skin color

I don’t think it is

it is a cultural and economic friction

I worked with a guy - a Matabele - who was on “the other side” during the bush war

He became a close friend and, when I first got married, sent me …

A blanket, a musical instrument and a knife

A traditional gift to a groom, as armed with those 3 things he could look after his new wife

life is strange and wonderful

Tribal loyalties, nationalistic pride and an uneducated electorate will continue to produce the misery that is now a fact of life. Terribly sad.

The locals told me they have a fairly good awareness of their corrupt governments and what they would like to see changed. But if a certain village does not vote primarily for the "right party" (aka the ones in power) they get visits from government thugs and people go missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!