Is South Africa Going The Way Of Zimbabwe?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Steve Scott, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    Incredibly well put. Praying with you for the same thing. Most of the people I hunted with in South Africa were from Zimbabwe. They were a wonderful group of educated, hard working people, gracious people. I can only wish them the best in hoping their new country doesn't make some of the same mistakes as their old one.

2. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA

3. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    And Al Jazeera (won't get this kind of story in US or European "news" outlets) reports that Mahlabo is involved in the illegal trade of rhino horn to, who else, the Chinese.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...er-linked-rhino-poaching-161113071410270.html

South Africa's problems are *nothing* like the rest of the continent (or they weren't until lots of blacks started arriving). There was almost nobody in that region when the Dutch began settling it 400 years ago - without sailing ships, one would have to have crossed one of two formidable and largely inhospitable land forms: the Namib, or the Kalihari. The blacks in RSA want something which doesn't belong to them, which NEVER belonged to them. They mostly seem incapable of earning it, so they will take it by force. And having taken it, they will not be able to sustain it.

And ever the fools that we are, we will send them more food and more medicine and more of everything, helping them to produce future generations of parasites.

S African minister Mahlobo linked to rhino trafficker

Al Jazeera's Investigative Unit has uncovered evidence of high-level political connections to rhino poaching in Africa.

The investigation raises serious questions about the involvement of a South African government minister and members of a Chinese presidential delegation in the illegal rhino horn trade.

Of the just 25,000 remaining African rhino, the biggest population is in South Africa's Kruger National Park, where at least two rhino are killed for their horns by poachers every night.

The selling of products from endangered species is banned worldwide, but high demand in China and Vietnam - where the horn is considered a sign of status and wealth - has kept the trade alive.

In Pretoria, South Africa, Al Jazeera secretly filmed a conversation with the manager of a Chinese restaurant who owns a collection of rhino horn bracelets and ivory chopsticks.

The restaurant manager told Al Jazeera that when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited South Africa last December a delegation accompanying him asked to be taken shopping for illegal souvenirs to smuggle home.

"They loved those ivory accessories," he said. "Also rhino horn, but they didn't buy much. They bought ivory mostly."

The illegal spending spree was confirmed by a second source.

The Chinese government has pledged greater action on wildlife crime and did not respond to requests for an interview regarding our investigation.

In South Africa, one rhino horn trafficker bragged to Al Jazeera about his close connections to Minister of State Security David Mahlobo, who runs the country's intelligence services.

"He came to my massage parlour every week or at least twice a month," said the trafficker. "I know him very well."

Mahlobo has denied any relationship with the businessman.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017

4. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    778E0324-1.jpg

5. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    :unsure: before we go down that rabbit hole, the top prosecutor is black, the head of the party that is the best alternative for the country in black, and there are many blacks in the media who are very critical of Zuma. Conversely, several of the people implicated with Zuma are white such as Agliotti.

So, I think this is more a opportunistic corruption thing and not a race based problem. Zuma is trying to make it race based to obscure what he has done.

6. Karoo Wild Safaris

Karoo Wild Safaris SPONSOR Since 2016 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ECGMA, PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Very well stated.

7. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    Brother, I hope you are right, but I will not hold my breath.

I do not mean to impugn all black men, but the free thinking black men... perhaps I am too cynical about it, but the free thinking black men are likely walking around with targets on their backs. Free-thinking black men are rare enough in the US, and they are a breath of fresh air (notably Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell), but they are simply too few. It is my desire that those going up against animals like Zuma and Mahlabo achieve their victory.

Hogpatrol and ack like this.

8. ack

ack AH Enthusiast

South Africa was in good shape when Britain ran things..so was Zimbabwe..Can't turn back the clock to people that have no idea what to do.

Hogpatrol likes this.

9. Edward Wright

Edward Wright AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA-life
    Hunted:
    Quebec, Newfoundland, Wyoming, Kentucky, South Carolina, Indiana
    Steve,
    Thank you for the article, I am an admirer of you work on TV, and your conservation editorials. I wish there was more to do for Africa, but history has shown us that money thrown at her gets funneled into corruption.
    We as hunters need to call out representatives, and alert them to the impending doom for wildlife in SA. That may slow political winds of change, but frankly the course is set, political revolution is necessary, and that comes rarely in time to save anything. The loss must be felt for many to do anything. This article was a sad warning to the dim future of SA