Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
Good read Karl very well written, Deon are you reffering to me and my 375 H&H?

Karl, with the info you are getting on kills how about a article on terminal bullet performance between the various bullet manufacturers.
Don't know if you recall our chat long ago of which bullet made more internal damage Swift or Barnes?

DWB

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Lowveld Hunters, BASA
Hunted
South Africa
Hahahaha Frederik, no, you had sense and bought a bigger gun!

Some other people I know.....

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
A wealth of experience, and knowledge of basic physics is a rare combination for any hunter.....and I salute you for a fine article. Failure to appreciate the difference between energy and the work done by that energy is the most common misconception, and you clarified that nicely. Thanks for sharing......FWB

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Karl,
This is excellent information. Thanks for the hard work to put an article like this together! There are many good points in here.
Philip

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I found that article one of the best I have read. I was a little surprised that the " little 375HH" outscored all the other calibers for one shot kills. Kind of debunked the 416 -500 hype. I think a good bit is the shooter. Too many have the idea that they need a shoulder fired super boomer and end up not being able to handle the recoil. That does not make for good shooting. Accuracy trumps noise and recoil so one is better off using something managable instead of lugging around something to stroke the ego..

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
gosh, cannot resist, as per the title,

it depends on her name and if you ask her. :)

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
now,

that off my chest, very well done article. facts, just the facts. energy does not kill stuff, long holes thru vitals do. nicely done.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
I thought this group may enjoy this article I wrote in the latest African Gazette.
A link to that particular issue (of which Divan Labuschagne, one of our great PHs, also took the cover picture):
View attachment 378663

Let me know your thoughts....
View attachment 378659View attachment 378660View attachment 378661
Good article. Karamojo Bell had a few words to say on this subject and stated it didn't matter whether the animal was hit with a 250gr or 800gr bullet, if it didn't hit the vitals the animal didn't die. Found an interesting article on the Book Your Hunt blog worth reading and this quote from Bell "when an elephant was hit in the right place with the .275 it died just as quickly as when hit with the .400, and, vice versa, when the bullet from either rifle was wrongly placed death did not ensue."
Perhaps this is why it is said the .375 is the most popular caliber for Africa.

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
Thank you for sharing Karl!
Makes one rethink the 'need' for a caliber larger than .375

I also wonder if the same could be said about the other dangerous game such as elephant, land hippo and rhino. Especially for a frontal charge, would the .375 still be the 'best' option?

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
If hit in the CNS a solid from a 308 or similar will stop and land animal. If not, the bigger the better. A buffalo shot through the lungs with a 375 is going to die, but it may take a bit of time, particularly when the beast is pumped up with adrenaline, and in that time a lot can happen. Calibers do matter which is why there are legal minimums. In 1953 a lady called Bella Twin shot a record Grizzly with a 22lr rifle. It obviously can be done but I sure wouldn’t try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.