Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    That's the problem who gets to decide.

2. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    On the application, I would write the full name of the cartridge, i.e .270 Winchester and .270 Winchester Short Magnum, non interchangeable.

3. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    I guess my problem is the term caliber. Caliber designates the diameter of the bullet. So if I took a 7mm08 and a 7mm Rem I have two guns of the same caliber.
    If the term was changed to no two firearms of the same cartridge it would be easy.

4. Rickmt

Rickmt SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA NZ-Montana,Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
    would one of you regular travelers to SA remind me exactly what docs the police are going to ask for when i meet them to get my gun processed . 1- passport 2 -preapproved SAPS application 3 - 4457 customs form from current year . Is that all? thanx again ! My son and I leave Saturday for 10 days with Spear Safaris . YAHOO !

5. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    All I have ever needed was the preapproved SAPS.

6. Rickmt

Rickmt SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA NZ-Montana,Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
    Thanx Graham!

7. Germanfan

Germanfan AH Member

Member of:
    RMEF, NWTF, RGS
    I just returned from another awesome trip to South Africa. Only hiccups were at airports coming and going. On the far end in Joberg, the police inspector had my SAPS form, but in the serial number block on the form, it had the serial number of the scope vice the rifle. The first inspector gave me the invalid paperwork speech and then the sergeant walked over, studied the problem, said simple mistake, and he used an ink pen to correct the SN on the form. Problem solved. On the return in the Atlanta airport, the CBP guy checked the guns and then tried to do an old samsonite commercial to close the case with some foam in the gasket seam. Then, moved over across the same floor for TSA inspection to the next connection flight. The lady there had a knack for pulling the cases off the table and throwing them onto a cart. Several of us commented on her zealous approach, but she didn't care. One guy even said, CBP just checked the firearms and cases, we relocked all the locks and now (about 50 meters later) we have to reopen and go through the same process. She rudely replied, "They are CBP, we are TSA, two different government agencies!" which brought some laughter and overt comments about government efficiency. Small stuff after a great trip.

Hogpatrol likes this.

8. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    I look at it as a jobs program. At least they're working and paying taxes. :p:D:rolleyes:

Germanfan likes this.

9. goathunter7

goathunter7 New Member

Hunted:
    Canada Usa Turkey Azerbaijan New Zealand
    I’m planning on a trip to Turkey, I’ll be departing Vancouver so I can get direct into Europe and then flight to Istanbul rather than longer and more expensive trip to east coast and direct to Istanbul.
    I understand Germany is best to transit in Europe with firearms, anyone have experienced going through Amsterdam lately?
    Klm offer quickest trips and best prices at the moment....

10. Germanfan

Germanfan AH Member

Member of:
    RMEF, NWTF, RGS
    I lived in Europe, Germany, for many years. I don't transit there with firearms. My recent trip to South Africa involved conversations with the PH about this topic. They were working on "transit" paperwork for another client coming in the future, via Amsterdam and KLM. I would attempt to contact KLM and get some information in writing, especially the timeline to process the paperwork and does it require separate contact with the Netherlands government.