Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Good question. Is it two of the same caliber or two of the same cartridge? I would call it two of the same cartridge.
That's the problem who gets to decide.

On the application, I would write the full name of the cartridge, i.e .270 Winchester and .270 Winchester Short Magnum, non interchangeable.

On the application, I would write the full name of the cartridge, i.e .270 Winchester and .270 Winchester Short Magnum, non interchangeable.
I guess my problem is the term caliber. Caliber designates the diameter of the bullet. So if I took a 7mm08 and a 7mm Rem I have two guns of the same caliber.
If the term was changed to no two firearms of the same cartridge it would be easy.

would one of you regular travelers to SA remind me exactly what docs the police are going to ask for when i meet them to get my gun processed . 1- passport 2 -preapproved SAPS application 3 - 4457 customs form from current year . Is that all? thanx again ! My son and I leave Saturday for 10 days with Spear Safaris . YAHOO !

would one of you regular travelers to SA remind me exactly what docs the police are going to ask for when i meet them to get my gun processed . 1- passport 2 -preapproved SAPS application 3 - 4457 customs form from current year . Is that all? thanx again ! My son and I leave Saturday for 10 days with Spear Safaris . YAHOO !
All I have ever needed was the preapproved SAPS.

Thanx Graham!

I just returned from another awesome trip to South Africa. Only hiccups were at airports coming and going. On the far end in Joberg, the police inspector had my SAPS form, but in the serial number block on the form, it had the serial number of the scope vice the rifle. The first inspector gave me the invalid paperwork speech and then the sergeant walked over, studied the problem, said simple mistake, and he used an ink pen to correct the SN on the form. Problem solved. On the return in the Atlanta airport, the CBP guy checked the guns and then tried to do an old samsonite commercial to close the case with some foam in the gasket seam. Then, moved over across the same floor for TSA inspection to the next connection flight. The lady there had a knack for pulling the cases off the table and throwing them onto a cart. Several of us commented on her zealous approach, but she didn't care. One guy even said, CBP just checked the firearms and cases, we relocked all the locks and now (about 50 meters later) we have to reopen and go through the same process. She rudely replied, "They are CBP, we are TSA, two different government agencies!" which brought some laughter and overt comments about government efficiency. Small stuff after a great trip.

I just returned from another awesome trip to South Africa. Only hiccups were at airports coming and going. On the far end in Joberg, the police inspector had my SAPS form, but in the serial number block on the form, it had the serial number of the scope vice the rifle. The first inspector gave me the invalid paperwork speech and then the sergeant walked over, studied the problem, said simple mistake, and he used an ink pen to correct the SN on the form. Problem solved. On the return in the Atlanta airport, the CBP guy checked the guns and then tried to do an old samsonite commercial to close the case with some foam in the gasket seam. Then, moved over across the same floor for TSA inspection to the next connection flight. The lady there had a knack for pulling the cases off the table and throwing them onto a cart. Several of us commented on her zealous approach, but she didn't care. One guy even said, CBP just checked the firearms and cases, we relocked all the locks and now (about 50 meters later) we have to reopen and go through the same process. She rudely replied, "They are CBP, we are TSA, two different government agencies!" which brought some laughter and overt comments about government efficiency. Small stuff after a great trip.

I look at it as a jobs program. At least they're working and paying taxes. :p:D:rolleyes:

I’m planning on a trip to Turkey, I’ll be departing Vancouver so I can get direct into Europe and then flight to Istanbul rather than longer and more expensive trip to east coast and direct to Istanbul.
I understand Germany is best to transit in Europe with firearms, anyone have experienced going through Amsterdam lately?
Klm offer quickest trips and best prices at the moment....

I lived in Europe, Germany, for many years. I don't transit there with firearms. My recent trip to South Africa involved conversations with the PH about this topic. They were working on "transit" paperwork for another client coming in the future, via Amsterdam and KLM. I would attempt to contact KLM and get some information in writing, especially the timeline to process the paperwork and does it require separate contact with the Netherlands government.

Wondering if anyone can clarify for me:

1) the south africa section says rifle cannot be of the same caliber. How is an extra set of barrels (double rifle, blaser r8, etc) treated? If I wanted to take a double with 470NE, and 375 barrels, plus a .375 bolt gun, is that possible or would that be treated as the same caliber and not allowed in south africa and one of the 375 options would have to stay home?

2) The Namibia section says "no solid point cartridges". Does this mean no DG solids or is it trying to prohibit steel core/ armor piercing type projectiles?

1) No entry of two rifles using the same cartridge. Can't help you on 2)

1) No entry of two rifles using the same cartridge. Can't help you on 2)

Does anyone know, if my wife and I both hunt, if we did paperwork for different firearms, do they have to be transported in separate cases? Ex: using the double with two sets of barrels and a bolt gun, if the double is mine and the bolt is my wifes I'm assuming the paperwork would have to be filed separately but can they fly over in the same case or would they give us a hard time if the calibers were the same?

Two different cases for two different hunters.

Thank you all for the clarification!
Mike if you want to take both 375 H & H you’ll need one in your wife’s name and it can’t be in same case as your Blaser, your good with Solids. I’d use Henry at Rifle Permits you’ll have no issues. 60 rounds of ammo per caliber so you’ll be able to take 120 rounds of 375 with the one listed in your wife’s name. On the way over ammo can be in each of your suitcases but when you leave SA it has to be in separate locked case or leave ammo with PH which is easiest. I’d use either a Swift A-Frame or a Barnes bullet your PH will be happy with one of them

Your primary restriction on ammo is ICAO regs of 5 kilos per person. Some airlines include the containers, others do not. Secondary in most countries is X amount of rounds of each cartridge, not caliber.

2) The Namibia section says "no solid point cartridges". Does this mean no DG solids or is it trying to prohibit steel core/ armor piercing type projectiles?

Nature Conservation Ordinance No 4 of 1975:
No solid point cartridge is allowed to be used on any other species than pachyderms (Elephant, Hippo, Rhino).

Any recommendation leaving Montréal with firearms final destination EastLondon through Johannesburg. Reading lots of opinions on hassles of traveling with rifles. Which European airport is the best to travel through and what documents are needed for transit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg