Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Mackman

Reaction score
Just need a confirmation we are flying home from South Africa thru Johannesburg on Delta Airlines to the US thru Amsterdam does Netherlands still require a Consent Application Form to be submitted & and how long does that process take if required. Thanks! Jeff

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
Hi Jeff, yes a consent application does have to be submitted and approved when transiting through the Netherlands with firearms/ammunition. It normally takes about a week or so but I always recommend submitting it 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip. Hope this helps!

Mackman

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, yes a consent application does have to be submitted and approved when transiting through the Netherlands with firearms/ammunition. It normally takes about a week or so but I always recommend submitting it 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip. Hope this helps!
Thank You!

LiegeRiver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
Hunted
Canada, USA
So, my gf and I are going to SA in June 2019. When applying for Canadian EXCOL numbers, should I put both firearms under my name, or submit us both separately? Both firearms will be in the same case...will this pose any issues at any of the places that may, or will, want to look at our firearms, like Frankfurt, J'burg, etc.? Thanks.

Gord

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Who owns the firearms?

Last edited:

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Strictly, you should each have your own permit. They are free.
The RSA permit is also free.

You could certainly get away with one permit if you are always hunting together. No one at EXCOL or Frankfurt will care, as long as someone has the proper export permits.

It is always the technicalities that are the trip up.
eg. Your SAPS 520 is your "license" to carry firearms in RSA. You happen to be hunting separately between two properties and only one person has a permit!

Last edited:

LiegeRiver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, USA
Ok, we'll each get our own permit. Thanks for your help, Brickburn, much appreciated.

Gord

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
It is the safest thing to do. I like having the peace of mind when I cross a border.
There are plenty of people that operate with one permit.
I hope you have a great trip.

LiegeRiver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, USA
We're really looking forward to hunting with KMG Safaris. You can expect a full report/article once we are home. I'm not sure if we'll be able to report as we go, but we'll see what happens.

Gord

NurseFet

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
RSA, Texas
We're really looking forward to hunting with KMG Safaris. You can expect a full report/article once we are home. I'm not sure if we'll be able to report as we go, but we'll see what happens.

Gord
Not sure if this has been said already to y'all, but I believe some countries have issues with 2 of the same caliber rifle being under 1 person's name and permit. If you both are carrying the same caliber rifle, I would definitely go with separate permits. Again, don't know if this applies to y'all, but something to keep in mind.

LiegeRiver

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, USA
Not sure if this has been said already to y'all, but I believe some countries have issues with 2 of the same caliber rifle being under 1 person's name and permit. If you both are carrying the same caliber rifle, I would definitely go with separate permits. Again, don't know if this applies to y'all, but something to keep in mind.
Shouldn’t be an issue, we have different caliber rifles. Thanks for the info, partner, much appreciated.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
I am wondering if any Canadians have traveled to Namibia via Edmonton - Iceland - Frankfurt - Windhoek. My travel agent is suggesting that route as a good possibility for me next October. I would plan to transit Iceland without staying there, so I'm hoping I would be able to check my rifle through to Frankfurt without a bunch of extra Icelandic paperwork. I'd need to arrange a couple days layover in Frankfurt, which seems like it should possible from the research I've done so far. I did read the earlier threads about Frankfurt on here which helped a lot. I'm going to try and confirm that the Frankfurt airport police can hold my rifle a couple days. I do have a German hunting licence, not sure if that helps. The Canadian export permit process seems pretty straight forward. Any tips or advice for me?

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
I just booked tickets direct from Toronto to Frankfurt. Simpler and just as economical.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
I just booked tickets direct from Toronto to Frankfurt. Simpler and just as economical.
Less countries, less airplanes boarded, less :A Bang Head:

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
One more question. I understand that firearms must be clearly indentified on all the relevant paperwork, but when looking at my CZ550 AHR customized .375, I can find the serial number and proof marks but no makers marks at all. It seems that AHR must have removed the roll stamped make/model identification that would normally be on the left side of the action. Is this a potential problem? Anyone who has traveled with one of their firearms please advise.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
One more question. I understand that firearms must be clearly indentified on all the relevant paperwork, but when looking at my CZ550 AHR customized .375, I can find the serial number and proof marks but no makers marks at all. It seems that AHR must have removed the roll stamped make/model identification that would normally be on the left side of the action. Is this a potential problem? Anyone who has traveled with one of their firearms please advise.
In my experience a serial number is all you need. Not to worry.

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
So can someone clarify for me the rule of no 2 guns of the same caliber in SA. Does this mean I can't have a 270 Win and a 270 WSM or I can't have two 270 Wins?

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
So can someone clarify for me the rule of no 2 guns of the same caliber in SA. Does this mean I can't have a 270 Win and a 270 WSM or I can't have two 270 Wins?
Good question. Is it two of the same caliber or two of the same cartridge? I would call it two of the same cartridge.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings
Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.