Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Just need a confirmation we are flying home from South Africa thru Johannesburg on Delta Airlines to the US thru Amsterdam does Netherlands still require a Consent Application Form to be submitted & and how long does that process take if required. Thanks! Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes a consent application does have to be submitted and approved when transiting through the Netherlands with firearms/ammunition. It normally takes about a week or so but I always recommend submitting it 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip. Hope this helps!

Hi Jeff, yes a consent application does have to be submitted and approved when transiting through the Netherlands with firearms/ammunition. It normally takes about a week or so but I always recommend submitting it 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip. Hope this helps!

Thank You!

So, my gf and I are going to SA in June 2019. When applying for Canadian EXCOL numbers, should I put both firearms under my name, or submit us both separately? Both firearms will be in the same case...will this pose any issues at any of the places that may, or will, want to look at our firearms, like Frankfurt, J'burg, etc.? Thanks.

Gord

Who owns the firearms?

Last edited:
Strictly, you should each have your own permit. They are free.
The RSA permit is also free.

You could certainly get away with one permit if you are always hunting together. No one at EXCOL or Frankfurt will care, as long as someone has the proper export permits.

It is always the technicalities that are the trip up.
eg. Your SAPS 520 is your "license" to carry firearms in RSA. You happen to be hunting separately between two properties and only one person has a permit!

Last edited:
Ok, we'll each get our own permit. Thanks for your help, Brickburn, much appreciated.

Gord

It is the safest thing to do. I like having the peace of mind when I cross a border.
There are plenty of people that operate with one permit.
I hope you have a great trip.

We're really looking forward to hunting with KMG Safaris. You can expect a full report/article once we are home. I'm not sure if we'll be able to report as we go, but we'll see what happens.

Gord

We're really looking forward to hunting with KMG Safaris. You can expect a full report/article once we are home. I'm not sure if we'll be able to report as we go, but we'll see what happens.

Gord

Not sure if this has been said already to y'all, but I believe some countries have issues with 2 of the same caliber rifle being under 1 person's name and permit. If you both are carrying the same caliber rifle, I would definitely go with separate permits. Again, don't know if this applies to y'all, but something to keep in mind.

Not sure if this has been said already to y'all, but I believe some countries have issues with 2 of the same caliber rifle being under 1 person's name and permit. If you both are carrying the same caliber rifle, I would definitely go with separate permits. Again, don't know if this applies to y'all, but something to keep in mind.

Shouldn’t be an issue, we have different caliber rifles. Thanks for the info, partner, much appreciated.

I am wondering if any Canadians have traveled to Namibia via Edmonton - Iceland - Frankfurt - Windhoek. My travel agent is suggesting that route as a good possibility for me next October. I would plan to transit Iceland without staying there, so I'm hoping I would be able to check my rifle through to Frankfurt without a bunch of extra Icelandic paperwork. I'd need to arrange a couple days layover in Frankfurt, which seems like it should possible from the research I've done so far. I did read the earlier threads about Frankfurt on here which helped a lot. I'm going to try and confirm that the Frankfurt airport police can hold my rifle a couple days. I do have a German hunting licence, not sure if that helps. The Canadian export permit process seems pretty straight forward. Any tips or advice for me?

I just booked tickets direct from Toronto to Frankfurt. Simpler and just as economical.

I just booked tickets direct from Toronto to Frankfurt. Simpler and just as economical.

Less countries, less airplanes boarded, less :A Bang Head:

One more question. I understand that firearms must be clearly indentified on all the relevant paperwork, but when looking at my CZ550 AHR customized .375, I can find the serial number and proof marks but no makers marks at all. It seems that AHR must have removed the roll stamped make/model identification that would normally be on the left side of the action. Is this a potential problem? Anyone who has traveled with one of their firearms please advise.

One more question. I understand that firearms must be clearly indentified on all the relevant paperwork, but when looking at my CZ550 AHR customized .375, I can find the serial number and proof marks but no makers marks at all. It seems that AHR must have removed the roll stamped make/model identification that would normally be on the left side of the action. Is this a potential problem? Anyone who has traveled with one of their firearms please advise.
In my experience a serial number is all you need. Not to worry.

So can someone clarify for me the rule of no 2 guns of the same caliber in SA. Does this mean I can't have a 270 Win and a 270 WSM or I can't have two 270 Wins?

So can someone clarify for me the rule of no 2 guns of the same caliber in SA. Does this mean I can't have a 270 Win and a 270 WSM or I can't have two 270 Wins?

Good question. Is it two of the same caliber or two of the same cartridge? I would call it two of the same cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg