Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Feb 1, 2008.

1. MarkB

MarkB AH Veteran

Member of:
    NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
    Being Canadian also hope this helps Tony485. I just finished a ton of research on this for my trip June-Aug this summer. Some Airlines, routes had gun fees higher than flights, I ruled out Europe and SAA. US route is OK but clearing all firearms in and out of US becomes a hassle for at least me, plus Delta lost my guns last time around, after 4 months fighting, and getting a $3K check I was told 'find them yourself". Which I did. After all my research the best, easiest, cheapest was Toronto to Addi Ababa to Joberg, same return on Ethiopian Airlines. I will get another flight across Canada to Toronto when seat sale appears. Its stated on Ethiopian website and agent confirmed with a call that if your second bag meets their criteria NO gun fees. Never flown Ethiopian but giving it a try. Also choose the longest layover in Addi Ababa going out for a look around, need visa to do this but will get online prior, also add to list of countries visited.

MB

2. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    I hope you are aware of the training Ethiopian pilots get before they get in the cockpit. Their maintenance problems aren't secret either. YMMV but I wouldn't take a free ticket on that air carrier.

3. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    Tony485 regarding permits, your temporary export permit from Canada will be the first thing you need to do. It will record all the information you need to provide to airlines and other governments along your journey. Once I had mine, it was a simple mater to copy / paste the correct information into other applications. For my trip, I needed to do that for three airlines and when applying for permits to transit Frankfurt and enter Namibia.
    You can apply for the Canadian export permit by following the website below. it's a little complicated, you may send me a private message and I can forward you the instructions I received from them. https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Principal/Home_Accueil.aspx

4. MarkB

MarkB AH Veteran

Member of:
    NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
    I'm good with that, 5 flights leave Toronto per week, non crashed lately. Every flight carries some risk, part of life.

MB

Hogpatrol likes this.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    1. No matter where you fly. Canadian Export permits for Rifle, Scope and Ammunition. Free, online applications. There are copies of the forms on AH including the proper codes to use.

London, UK - No paperwork required.
    Frankfurt, DE - IN past there has been a Transit permit required ($). However, last news it was not.
    Amsterdam, ND - Transit Permit required. Free
    USA - Washington, Atlanta - No paperwork if you are not taking possession of your firearm. Otherwise I would have a 6NIA from the ATF in hand.
    No idea on other crazy routes to JNB.

6. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    I did require a transit permit while transiting through Frankfurt in October 2019

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    They go back and forth like a YoYo.
    Always the best to contact them directly.
    I have posted the contact details more times than I can recall. :)

8. Tony485

Tony485 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Sci
    Thank for all the good advice it’s already paying off to have joined this forum.
    How long before our trip would be the appropriate time to start all of the paper work needed for the export of firearms?

9. Dean Macdonald

Dean Macdonald AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
    Hi Toby458,
    I flew with KLM, through Amsterdam in 2018, no problems. I made sure to register with the airline that I would be taking a firearm when I bought the ticket. I needed the Canadian paperwork (the same BRICKBURN mentioned) and also a permit to transit through Amsterdam airport. I applied for the Dutch permit online, about 4 months prior to my trip. No problem, emailed back to me in plenty of time.
    I was headed for Namibia as my final destination, so it was KLM the entire trip (from Toronto) No extra baggage fee for the gun case, and all luggage was sent through to final destination. I have no first hand knowledge about switching from one airline to another though, so you would need to do a little homework with all the players involved to satisfy their rules.
    Good Luck!

10. LiegeRiver

LiegeRiver AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    We flew to Frankfurt-Joh-EL. Checked our bags/firearms through to Joh. Never saw our bags in Frankfurt, they went right through.

11. mikecatt13

mikecatt13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Anyone have experience with taking rifle with multiple barrels through RSA? 2 firearms maximum. Ex: could I bring my double in 470, bolt gun in say .300WM, and a extra set of barrels for the double in .375? Or is it 2 calibers max. Regardless of barrels, etc?

12. riflepermits.com

riflepermits.com SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Dear Sir

Send me an email henry@riflepermits.com.

Kind regards
    Henry

mikecatt13 and Mark Biggerstaff like this.

13. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    So I am trying to get a transit permit to go thru Munich but the site does not list Munich and keeps kicking me back to Frankfurt. Any idea's/