Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition

MarkB

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
Being Canadian also hope this helps Tony485. I just finished a ton of research on this for my trip June-Aug this summer. Some Airlines, routes had gun fees higher than flights, I ruled out Europe and SAA. US route is OK but clearing all firearms in and out of US becomes a hassle for at least me, plus Delta lost my guns last time around, after 4 months fighting, and getting a $3K check I was told 'find them yourself". Which I did. After all my research the best, easiest, cheapest was Toronto to Addi Ababa to Joberg, same return on Ethiopian Airlines. I will get another flight across Canada to Toronto when seat sale appears. Its stated on Ethiopian website and agent confirmed with a call that if your second bag meets their criteria NO gun fees. Never flown Ethiopian but giving it a try. Also choose the longest layover in Addi Ababa going out for a look around, need visa to do this but will get online prior, also add to list of countries visited.

MB

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Being Canadian also hope this helps Tony485. I just finished a ton of research on this for my trip June-Aug this summer. Some Airlines, routes had gun fees higher than flights, I ruled out Europe and SAA. US route is OK but clearing all firearms in and out of US becomes a hassle for at least me, plus Delta lost my guns last time around, after 4 months fighting, and getting a $3K check I was told 'find them yourself". Which I did. After all my research the best, easiest, cheapest was Toronto to Addi Ababa to Joberg, same return on Ethiopian Airlines. I will get another flight across Canada to Toronto when seat sale appears. Its stated on Ethiopian website and agent confirmed with a call that if your second bag meets their criteria NO gun fees. Never flown Ethiopian but giving it a try. Also choose the longest layover in Addi Ababa going out for a look around, need visa to do this but will get online prior, also add to list of countries visited.

MB

I hope you are aware of the training Ethiopian pilots get before they get in the cockpit. Their maintenance problems aren't secret either. YMMV but I wouldn't take a free ticket on that air carrier.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Tony485 regarding permits, your temporary export permit from Canada will be the first thing you need to do. It will record all the information you need to provide to airlines and other governments along your journey. Once I had mine, it was a simple mater to copy / paste the correct information into other applications. For my trip, I needed to do that for three airlines and when applying for permits to transit Frankfurt and enter Namibia.
You can apply for the Canadian export permit by following the website below. it's a little complicated, you may send me a private message and I can forward you the instructions I received from them. https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Principal/Home_Accueil.aspx

MarkB

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
I'm good with that, 5 flights leave Toronto per week, non crashed lately. Every flight carries some risk, part of life.

MB

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Any recommendation leaving Montréal with firearms final destination EastLondon through Johannesburg. Reading lots of opinions on hassles of traveling with rifles. Which European airport is the best to travel through and what documents are needed for transit

1. No matter where you fly. Canadian Export permits for Rifle, Scope and Ammunition. Free, online applications. There are copies of the forms on AH including the proper codes to use.

London, UK - No paperwork required.
Frankfurt, DE - IN past there has been a Transit permit required ($). However, last news it was not.
Amsterdam, ND - Transit Permit required. Free
USA - Washington, Atlanta - No paperwork if you are not taking possession of your firearm. Otherwise I would have a 6NIA from the ATF in hand.
No idea on other crazy routes to JNB.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
I did require a transit permit while transiting through Frankfurt in October 2019

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I did require a transit permit while transiting through Frankfurt in October 2019

They go back and forth like a YoYo.
Always the best to contact them directly.
I have posted the contact details more times than I can recall. :)

Tony485

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sci
Thank for all the good advice it’s already paying off to have joined this forum.
How long before our trip would be the appropriate time to start all of the paper work needed for the export of firearms?

DmacD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
Thank for all the good advice it’s already paying off to have joined this forum.
How long before our trip would be the appropriate time to start all of the paper work needed for the export of firearms?
Hi Toby458,
I flew with KLM, through Amsterdam in 2018, no problems. I made sure to register with the airline that I would be taking a firearm when I bought the ticket. I needed the Canadian paperwork (the same BRICKBURN mentioned) and also a permit to transit through Amsterdam airport. I applied for the Dutch permit online, about 4 months prior to my trip. No problem, emailed back to me in plenty of time.
I was headed for Namibia as my final destination, so it was KLM the entire trip (from Toronto) No extra baggage fee for the gun case, and all luggage was sent through to final destination. I have no first hand knowledge about switching from one airline to another though, so you would need to do a little homework with all the players involved to satisfy their rules.
Good Luck!

LiegeRiver

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
Hunted
Canada, USA
Any recommendation leaving Montréal with firearms final destination EastLondon through Johannesburg. Reading lots of opinions on hassles of traveling with rifles. Which European airport is the best to travel through and what documents are needed for transit

We flew to Frankfurt-Joh-EL. Checked our bags/firearms through to Joh. Never saw our bags in Frankfurt, they went right through.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Anyone have experience with taking rifle with multiple barrels through RSA? 2 firearms maximum. Ex: could I bring my double in 470, bolt gun in say .300WM, and a extra set of barrels for the double in .375? Or is it 2 calibers max. Regardless of barrels, etc?

riflepermits.com

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.riflepermits.com
Media
Articles
Anyone have experience with taking rifle with multiple barrels through RSA? 2 firearms maximum. Ex: could I bring my double in 470, bolt gun in say .300WM, and a extra set of barrels for the double in .375? Or is it 2 calibers max. Regardless of barrels, etc?
Dear Sir

Send me an email henry@riflepermits.com.

Kind regards
Henry

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
So I am trying to get a transit permit to go thru Munich but the site does not list Munich and keeps kicking me back to Frankfurt. Any idea's/

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
For those of you that have taken firearms to Namibia...do they use the serial number from the barrel like RSA or the receiver (is the receiver only a US thing?)?

Wife and I are taking an R8 and S2 to Namibia and am trying to figure out how to fill out the paperwork properly. Both guns have user interchangeable barrels and Blaser serialized the barrels because that's what is registered as the firearm in many places, but we are in the US so the receivers have serials too.

Overnighting in Joburg then onto Windhoek. Using assistance for the RSA paperwork, but still trying to figure out which serials I give for both countries. Do I just ignore the receiver one if it's just a USA thing and list the barrel serials? That's how I understand it with RSA but not sure about Namibia specifically

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
I've never heard of a serial number being checked on a barrel in RSA, only the receiver. In fact, I never heard of a serial number on an American made rifle's barrel.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I've never heard of a serial number being checked on a barrel in RSA, only the receiver. In fact, I never heard of a serial number on an American made rifle's barrel.
They are Blasers so they're american imported not American made, so the removable barrel (which kind of acts as a receiver of sorts because the only thing "behind" it is the bolt housing) has a serial and the receiver does as well (to comply with US law). I know for sure RSA treats all the interchangeable barrels as "firearms" so they have to be serialized and that's what they use on the paperwork, according to riflepermits.com.

Which is why I'm kinda hoping a fellow R8 owner that has traveled with theirs can chime in and clarify for me

JanP

Reaction score
Media
Yep, for Blaser you need the barrel number. I fly with my R8 and R93 a few times every year to SA and Namibia.
And regarding Ethiopian Air, they have about the youngest fleet of aircraft. Their last accident was with an American made Boeing 737 MAX. It was a design fault of that US-machine that has cost many lives! So @ Hogpatrol, please no shaming of well educated African people!

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Yep, for Blaser you need the barrel number. I fly with my R8 and R93 a few times every year to SA and Namibia.
And regarding Ethiopian Air, they have about the youngest fleet of aircraft. Their last accident was with an American made Boeing 737 MAX. It was a design fault of that US-machine that has cost many lives! So @ Hogpatrol, please no shaming of well educated African people

May be well educated but in that instance, poorly trained and lacking experience when things go south. That was a retrievable malfunction but when you only have 250 hours of blue sky conditions, it's not the aircraft.

jac211

Bronze supporter
Reaction score
When I went with CMS in Zim, I flew to Jo'berg from Atlanta on Delta. I paid like a hundred bucks to have a CMS contractor meet me in J'berg and walk through the firearm check in/out process. Well worth the freight. Easy Peazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EleanoreSt

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.